Opening a Gift Store

cmspath

Well it looks like we are finally going be opening our gift store. :D Some may remember that back in April of last year - I was going to go into partnership with someone and open a gift store. Lucky for me I realized right away that it was not the proper move for me and had her buy me out. After many, many hours of research, working out expenses etc for a gift store and looking for the perfect spot, last Friday, my husband and I met with a realitor at a new stripmall that is being built about 5 minutes from our house. The area is growing fast and the location is viewable by many directions. I think we are going to move forward with this. There is soooooo much involved, with the business plans, planning expenses etc.. I get excited about the opportunity but really nervous at the same time. There is alot of money involved. And while I try not to think of the "what if it doesnt work out" it is reality and you need to have a backup plan for that. I would work there full time, and have a part timer (already know who it would be) working also. Now this is not just our candles and bath & body products we would be selling, that would no way bring in enough monthly, we are looking at a wide variety of unique products (many of which I already have - or have the contacts for such products) that you dont just find at any store. After 5 years of doing candles and bath & body this is a new phase in our business. The space is large.. 1000 s/f and we have a contractor friend that would build the office and storage room for us as well as the displays. He was with us Friday as well. One of the hard parts is coming up with a name. I never dreamed how difficult it would be. And I am pretty much at a standstill until we come up with one. So I am turning to the best of the best for your thoughts and opinions. My husband was suggesting our current business name "Sea View Candles & Gifts" - but there is an actual town called Sea View - that we love to visit - by the ocean and lighthouse (thus one of the reasons we chose it) and I am not so sure that is the best thing to do in our town. I am wanting something unique.. that "sticks" with you. Here are a couple that have been suggested or I have come up with -

Any other suggestions.. or opinions would be great.. :

Crystals

Candles & Gifts (Botique)

Blue Moon Gifts & Collectables

Fiddlesticks - Unique gifts

Trinkets & Treasures

Countryside Unique Gifts

Thanks.. Crystal

The (Crystal) Exchange (?)

Where is this going to be? Maybe tailor around the name of your town or some history.

How about something Hollow? Or something Cove?

Something you can build a story around if you wanted.

Then you could have that second line of treasures of dreams, treasures of the heart, treasures of whatever ... etc.

The (Crystal) Exchange (?)

Treasures for a lifetime ...

I'm not really great at this either lol, so I do wish you great luck!

I agree with Bugtussle. I like the Sea View name. Maybe since there is a lighthouse use that in logo or something, on shop window. Not good at this either. Sorta off topic but I had customer that bought one of the frosted glass plug-ins for a gift but she wanted a lighthouse so customer got cousin to paint picture of lighthouse on plug-in. Very pretty.

Congratulations and Good Luck :)

Personally I like your Sea View name. Besides, to me it's rather annoying when business change names. Especially if it's not someplace you know real well or visit often, you go to look them up in the phone book and they're not there :/

I'd be careful with Crystal - the only thing I think of is the crystal hand blown glass figurines. So someone might get confused.

I read that as Crystals, candles, and gifts, like 3 separate things. I may be weird, but that's what came to my mind.

Trinkets to me says... cheap. I dunno why on that either, but I think of the little dollar store type of stuff.

I like Blue Moon, but I'd be willing to bet it's taken/trademarked already.

I happen to like the Sea View best though. Sea View Specialties maybe?

To toss out a lighthouse kind of deal: Light of the Sea Specialties or a side thought Sea View Signatures.

I don't necessarily think keeping it simple is the best to go with gift shops, so many are opening in strip malls, you want something that stands out, so people can pass on your name. Doesn't have to be long, just memorable.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and suggestions. I am still debating this...

Sea View Candles and Gifts is pretty well known - mainly at our shows and I have what I call my "candle groupies" that follow me from show to show - for our candles and soaps for the most part. We plan on continuing to do shows and would promote as Sea View Candles and Gifts. The gift store would carry those candles so they arent "gone" so to speak This is a small town just about 20 minutes south of Olympia - but close enough to everything that it isnt a long drive to get to - and I dont know how the "locals" would take to a new retail store being named after another city 1 1/2 hours away... :confused:

My other choice is the Blue Moon Gifts - I checked and it is not registered here in WA.

I guess maybe I should contact my CPA and see what his advise is, as far as "expanding" Sea View Candles & Gifts and keeping that name vs. having Sea View Candles & Gifts become a part of a new name (with the candles and soaps being sold in the new name store)...

It is such an important decision .. it is giving me a migraine! :undecided

Thanks again for the well wishes and suggestions.. I appreciate it.

Just wanted to add some more food for thought...

Although a certain name may not be registered for your area, you want to also think about growth, even if you don't plan on it, lol. So where as something might be available locally- you might want to check similar web domains.

I totally understand the excitement, and maybe you feel like this is a new beginning and another chance to name a business- but you really do have the advantage with your Sea View name that is out there already as you've said. When people come to your site you can direct them to come shop at your physical store. It might confuse people to be confronted with two different business names.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm one of those loyal type. If I go to a website to order, and am solicted by another company while on that site, I think- 'they are just trying to get a two for one customer' kind of thing- if that makes sense at all. I realize i'm just weird sometimes, lol.

Congratulations and I sincerely wish you the best of luck. This is also what I would really love to do, and I'd even so much as say it's an actual goal of mine. I want to do it exactly like you... not so much my own stuff- but more so local or unique crafters and novelites that are fun to ME and that I like. My stuff would just be a filler, lol. DH wants to learn yard art type of stuff AND continue to do what he loves: speaker, radio and record player repairs.... what an eclectic little shop that would be!!!:rolleyes2

p.s. If someone does comment or make the connection to the actual town- you can just tell them that you love the place so much that it inspires you and yes in fact your store was named to honor this beautiful place.

Nothing wrong with that one bit if you ask me:smiley2: