Seriously? Are ya smokin crack?

Phone rings yesterday at about 4pm.

Me: Hello...

Man: Hi, I need to place an order for Christmas.

Me: Sure... I will do my best to get it to you, but a lot depends on what I have in stock.

Man: I just need your Pine Scented candle.

Me: Okay, I have some in stock. How many do you need?

Man: 48. Can you deliver them tomorrow?

(insert chirping crickets)

Man: And I heard you can do really neat custom labels, too. If I send you my business logo can you put it on there.

(more crickets)

Seriously...who waits until December 19 to think "Oh gee, I need to get my employees' gifts." There was flat out no way I could make them. I am totally tapped out trying to get two wholesale orders delivered on Friday (both of which came in THIS week) in addition to tons of little orders that have come in this week; so I talked him into 48 mix n match candles from stock with NO special labels and HE is picking them up. I realize that people don't really understand the nature of "handcrafted". That they really sometimes think they can call and we can magically whip out 48 of whatever they need. Next year he promised to contact me in November.:P

That is funny...I get that alot of people that call me thinking they are calling a huge company so they ask for customer service and I say I can help you.. Ok then I need this and that etc... I give them a price and they say can I speak with the shipping dept. I say sure I can help you with that too. They are so happy they don't have to be transferred. They always comment on how great the customer service is, but I don't tell them I am the owner, candlemaker, shipping dept. customer service..etc.

glad you worked it out, and congrats!

I had it happen for a big fair, I don't know why the organization insisted so much for having my candles. I tried to explain I don't have stock, I work in a different manner, but they begged lol, so in 4 days I made 45 pillars, and I have a full time job, and I don't have prestos, I did it, but never again!!!

Don't you just love these people that wait till the last minute? I had two call me this week. One wanted a few of my XMas light gel candles. Told her I could make them. Then she called the next day and wanted more. My order cut-off date was last Friday but I had enough supplies to make the first few she wanted. After the second call I told her I couldn't get any more of the mini XMas lights because they are already clearanced out of the craft stores, so I told her I have other XMas gels already made up and she says, "I know but the XMas light ones are my favorite". Welp, ya should've ordered earlier then! She did end up taking what I had in stock so that worked out. The second call was for my mini basket candles. I had all but two of what the woman wanted so I told her I can make up the other ones. She then informs me she needs them by the next afternoon. It was 8pm when she called! I guess people think we're machines or something. I got my last two orders done today so I'm officially done till after the new year!!

Sometimes you need to take the lemons and make lemonade. Throw some Stoli in there with ice. Breathe deeply. You'd be thrilled to get an order like that out of the blue in March. LMAO!!

Seize this moment.

This is golden opportunity. He may order from you every year.

And then tell two friends, and so on, and so on. HA HA... you get my drift.

Throw some Stoli in there with ice. Breathe deeply.

Oh crap. You just reminded me. I have a bottle of Vanilla Stoli hidden way back in one of my cabinets.

Vanilla Stoli and Cream Soda. Talk about a vanilla buzzzzzzzzzz.:party:

Hot damn it's almost 5 o'clock here too.

Me drink? Surely you jest! (sorry, I almost fell over typing that!) You gals know I am as willing as the next person to crack open anything that will make me forget how much my feet and back hurt right now...but there simply was no freaking way in hell I could get it done. As it is, I was up till 3am trying to finish up the two wholesale orders I got on Monday and I was up at 5am. The hours just were not there. But he got candles (not the ones he wanted) and I got money. Whoo hoo!

You know, as my good friend on the board Jeff reminded me when I was bitching and moaning about getting crap done in time (Hi Jeff! :P), at least I have something to bitch and moan about. There are worst problems to have, eh? The best...I deliver my big ass orders tomorrow, get the checks, deposit them and then hubby and I are shopping. Sadly we have done NOTHING in the lines of Christmas shopping!!! In preparation of facing the butt munches on the roads, in the parking lots and in the stores, I am taking my xanex and a flask with me. Ho ho ho....

HA HA... you know, I always think with the sales mentality. :naughty:

But I do remember way back when, how I'd bitch and complain about favor orders. I do custom favors- and one of my customers sent me a referral that turned out to be a mega huge order. I was blowing a gasket that she only wanted 50 favors, well, her referral made up for that and then some. So~ my little drunken elf, never overlook potential repeat business or sales opportunities. They can hatch into big things. The glass is overflowing!!

Oh- and shop online!

Crap, I'd be out of my mind even more if I had to brave those last minute shoppers and then the crowded restaurant afterwards. Yikes. Be safe and don't carry any weapons.

I've got the first round of cocktails for everyone is this thread. Party on. LMAO!!

Last minute is just the name of the game in the candle business...... I get it all the time. "Oh, I totally meant to place my order last month, and time just got away from me! Can you ship this, this and this tomorrow?".

I almost blew it the other day, when one of my gals called (she does craft shows only in the Texas panhandle). Doing great with my candles. Of course, her first order, she calls says I just don't know what to order, there's just so many. I put an order together for her based on what she wants to spend. Pack and ship. 7 days later, I need more candles. OK, what? Well.....these and these sold really well, but these didn't. What else do you have? I have this, this and this. OK, I'll take some of those. But don't go over this much $$. She calls me again....Oh I have a show in 5 days, blah, blah, blah.....confuses me, doesn't know what she wants, how many, or what size. By the end of the conversation, I'm thinking "WTF?" Anyway, 4 days goes by and she calls, says where's my candles. I said, what candles? She's says I have a show in 2 days can you get me some of this, this and this. I said SURE! WHY NOT! OK, rambling here....pack the darn candles up, get quote for FEDEX NEXT DAY! costs $132.95, Felt like maybe it was my fault for not understanding what she said/meant. And on top of that wants credit, put invoice in box. OK, do all that. Get box out, she's happy, money order received..........made a frigging negative on the order.

What I do for AWESOME customer service is beyond me!

See, that's the way this business is.......crazy!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Carrie

Crazy is right Carrie!

This thread cracked me up! I was very worried about running out of soap since it takes at least 4 weeks to cure. I am so low on everything it is beyond crazy. I need to get cracking after the 1st of the year to build my stock up!

I have only been in business 9 months so I am totally clueless as to what I am doing half the time. When I think one particular soap is selling well I make a large batch, then one that wasn't selling well all of a sudden is sold out and people want more. Sheesh! Hopefully I will figure this out at some point. :rolleyes2

I got a call tonight for 4 20 oz container candles in various scents (not already made up) to be delivered on Sunday.... Hmmm... just a bit last minute! Done now though... :rolleyes2

-Kristi

Feeling your pain!! I got an order for 12 pillars late Thurs afternoon & they are needed by today -- wheeeew...just bagged 'em. This customer put in an order for 15 chunk candles in early Nov so that I would have lots of time and that was soooo appreciated...since she is my best friend she understands how it is. This last order is for her personal use and she didn't care what color or style -- just requested they all be Nag Champa.

Another customer gave me a 4 day notice for 50 pillars...met that deadline too.:tongue2:

I've gotta plan ahead for next year --- like having more molds!!!!!!!

Me drink? Surely you jest! (sorry, I almost fell over typing that!) You gals know I am as willing as the next person to crack open anything that will make me forget how much my feet and back hurt right now...but there simply was no freaking way in hell I could get it done. As it is, I was up till 3am trying to finish up the two wholesale orders I got on Monday and I was up at 5am. The hours just were not there. But he got candles (not the ones he wanted) and I got money. Whoo hoo!

You know, as my good friend on the board Jeff reminded me when I was bitching and moaning about getting crap done in time (Hi Jeff! :P), at least I have something to bitch and moan about. There are worst problems to have, eh? The best...I deliver my big ass orders tomorrow, get the checks, deposit them and then hubby and I are shopping. Sadly we have done NOTHING in the lines of Christmas shopping!!! In preparation of facing the butt munches on the roads, in the parking lots and in the stores, I am taking my xanex and a flask with me. Ho ho ho....

Glad I could help?!? Next time, if you need more help, I'd be glad to sell him some of my candles.

Now MA may not appreciate that one, but hellooooooooooo lol! You makin' it? Got my attention with the mention of tequila lol.

Not to hijack the thread but you got my attention. Something really good I discovered lately. Instead of doing a tequila shot with the normal lime and salt, substitute those for ground cinnamon and an orange slice.

:drool:

Not to hijack the thread but you got my attention. Something really good I discovered lately. Instead of doing a tequila shot with the normal lime and salt, substitute those for ground cinnamon and an orange slice.

:drool:

I'll highjack the thread, who needs lime and salt? Just give me the bottle :D