Candlewic Angle Plate

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=cAngle+Plate,p205

Does anyone have this? Is it any good? How do you heat it - does it plug in or do you have to put the base on a heater of some sort?

It looks good but the amount of information Candlewic gives on their site about a lot of their stuff is minimal to say the least so I'd like to know if anyone has this or knows more about it before I part with $150 to get the thing shipped to the UK.

Thanks

Had a look at these a while back, it says you need the heated candle base leveler with it http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=cLevelers,p233 thats another $106 to add to the cost :( the shipping sure does suck, how about us UK peeps jet off for a short holiday and fill our cases with goodies we cant get here lol would probably be cheaper than paying shipping

I don't know how accurate this is, so maybe someone with experience can chime in here. But, I read somewhere that you can run your pillar candles across a heated non stick griddle to get nice smooth bottoms. And since it's non stick it should clean up pretty easy. I don't do pillars so not really sure.

I always gripe about shipping charges, then I feel really bad about it when I read post from you guys in other countries. Many of us here in the US, I'm probably one of the worst, just take it for granted that we can order what we want and get it in a matter of days for next to nothing compared to chandlers and soapers in other countries. Too bad there isn't a better way for you guys. :undecided

That would really stink to pay as much, or more, for shipping as you do your products.

I would use a hot plate, but upon inspecting the level of the surfaces in my kitchen, they are WAY out. I can level my candle all I like, but they will always be at an angle because the work surface I am using to level - isn't level itself - which is why I wanted to find a way of making them exactly 90 degrees.

I've just bought myself a big electric chop saw that has locks and brackets so you can chop at an extremely precise angle. Can't wait to play with it (translated = get my hair caught in it, chop off my ear and then try to figure out how to wear my glasses with just one ear....)

LOL Nat!

I want to buy a saw but today I'm gonna try first with thath thing you use to cut ham when it's a big whole ham, I don't know how you call that.

I use an elcetric griddle for now and to be sure it's leveled I use one of that thinhs with liquid inside and an air bubble (wow I need a good vocabulary, too many words I don't know!) and put pieces of paper under it where it's needed. Then when it's leveled I heat it and "try" to level pillars.

I went to lowes and bought a small level and then to target and bought a flat bottomed frying pan. I put the little level on top of the candle and hold it level while i run the candle over the warmed pan surface. It's worked for me.

Doesn't that only level your candle in one direction? I mean, you can see if it's tilted left or right but what about towards or away from you?

You know I think I have an extra one of those angle plates stashed away. You can have it for the price of shipping if you think it'd be worth it. You'd still need to get a heater.

Personally I think cutting gives faster and better results for volume production, if you have a good system and the right equipment. Ultimately I want to be cutting pillars but haven't got that sorted out yet. In the meantime I use the angle plate and heater.

Doesn't that only level your candle in one direction? I mean, you can see if it's tilted left or right but what about towards or away from you?

This is what i use

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=119471-1099-CCL001&lpage=none

It's just the right size to sit on the lip of my 3 inch pillars and just not to big for a votive.

and then this one i haven't tested yet

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=119454-1099-SL0002&lpage=none

I bought a hot wire and i ended up making things worse, how do you all cut them?

You know I think I have an extra one of those angle plates stashed away. You can have it for the price of shipping if you think it'd be worth it. You'd still need to get a heater.

Personally I think cutting gives faster and better results for volume production, if you have a good system and the right equipment. Ultimately I want to be cutting pillars but haven't got that sorted out yet. In the meantime I use the angle plate and heater.

I'd be interested as I may be too dangerous around a mitre saw. I've ordered one but depending on how it looks when it gets here will determine whether it scares the shit out of me or not. I once met a man who sliced his hand in half across the palm with a mitre saw so I'm a bit wary of it. Although - it was a clean cut and his hand got sewn back on so it's not ALL bad!

With regard to the heater, i reckon I could get away with a hot baking tray heated on the hob then placed on the angle plate maybe?

revvin up the ole chain saw LOL!!!

I've read about people using a table saw and thought that would be great!

This is the one I got: It pretty much allows you to saw at any angle and length with extreme accuracy - but that blade gives me the heebie jeebies - I can already see my fingers taking a short trip in a ziplock bag to A&E. It should be here on Tuesday so i'll give you an update and see if I can build up the balls to cut a candle with it.

186890-ab0-00co_full.jpg

hubby goes near it and I'll use it to chop his wick off. It's mine mine mine.
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: that's the problem, i'm the hubby and do more then make candles. I could use a miter saw for a lot of things around here including the candles. Guess if i get one, i'll have to cover it somehow and change the blade when i'm doing candles.

This is the one I got: It pretty much allows you to saw at any angle and length with extreme accuracy - but that blade gives me the heebie jeebies - I can already see my fingers taking a short trip in a ziplock bag to A&E. It should be here on Tuesday so i'll give you an update and see if I can build up the balls to cut a candle with it.

186890-ab0-00co_full.jpg

That's a beauty, I envy you...

A new toy-I mean tool ;)

I've been debating this for a couple of years now. I hate, hate, hate leveling pillars. Please update after you've tried this out. If it goes well for you, I'm next for a mitre saw! Just getting rid of the aggravation of leveling a pillar would be worth the $100 investment.