So how is your business this year?

Debra Phelps

We started off the year higher than ever (we're in our 7th year), but after the first quarter each month has been less than the same month in prior years. Overall we're still "up" over this time last year though, so technically we're still in our continued pattern of yearly growth.

I think it's slightly due to buyers, but more so from my own attitude ... I've dropped products that I don't enjoy making, streamlined the product line to cut down on the supplies I'm ordering in, and have even turned down some orders if I just couldn't meet the timeline, etc. In the past I would have pulled "all-nighters" if need be, but I just don't do that anymore.

This is my 5th year, and my overall gross sales are up 24% this year, but my net is way way up. Better margins, less waste... Market increased 40% over last year, which is a great indicator for next year. Web sales flat. Craft fairs down a bit but that's because I dropped 3 of them.

Sales are great at craftshows. My profits have tripled from what they were last year. My merchant sales started very slow and really picked up late this year. June/July was my busiest time and has fluctuated up and down since then. My web sales are down considerably from last year. Seems there is alot of candle websites to choose from. I really think it falls down to changing your products so they look new and fresh every year. I have new products each season and get rid of stuff that isn't moving. I have adjusted my prices to keep up with inflation and that helps tremendously. People will pay your price if they hear good things about your products. It is hard work but the candle business is very competitive.

We started off the year higher than ever (we're in our 7th year), but after the first quarter each month has been less than the same month in prior years. Overall we're still "up" over this time last year though, so technically we're still in our continued pattern of yearly growth.

I think it's slightly due to buyers, but more so from my own attitude ... I've dropped products that I don't enjoy making, streamlined the product line to cut down on the supplies I'm ordering in, and have even turned down some orders if I just couldn't meet the timeline, etc. In the past I would have pulled "all-nighters" if need be, but I just don't do that anymore.

I'm still in the hobby-business :) stage, I've made candles 4 yrs. I guess, but after the second year, my attitude changed as well. I don't make anything I don't like, no special orders, no all nighters---turning down orders this year as well. I keep my candles in one place, not that many at a time, a percentage of the sales go to a fund the vet clinic has established for dogs whose owners can't afford the treatments or who are abandoned and also the animal shelter that is currently being planned in our county. I quit ordering supplies and or special scents just because someone else liked them, etc--:) When it becomes a job, it is not enjoyable for me to pour my candles and I didn't want that.

This is our 10th holiday season and business continues to grow for us. We are up 29% in wholesale. Craft shows are doing very well again and are up 16% from last year. Web sales are down,, but I still have more hits on the website than last year. I think alot of people look at the website, before coming to craft/trade shows to really scope out things, before coming to purchase.

I agree that you must change up your products from time to time. There are years we offer waxed crittters, some years I don't do any, then I'll bring them back. We also do the same thing with candles poured in holiday pottery. Different styles for different years, etc. Customers especially like new scents and are always asking... what's new. We continually add or change products which seems to pique our clients interest.

I don't do any craft shows (I have lots of little kids and just can't do them now anyway), but I do home shows in the area. I'm surprised at how well I'm doing this year. I thought people would be less likely to spend, but I'm doing pretty well. Since I do this as a hobby business, I end up focusing on it mostly between October and December with a little for Valentine's Day and then special orders throughout the year (along with personal use and testing what I will purchase later).

One thing I did this year that I think made a difference is that I lowered my prices a little for multiple purchases (ie- 2/$15, 2/$25, 5/$10, etc). These are the prices that I would normally go to about 3 weeks before Christmas when I'm clearing things out. I STARTED with this this year and it's done great. Doing this business full force only at Christmastime is perfect as I don't get burned out and I allow time to be taken away from other important things as it's just until Christmas and then I can focus back on household stuff.

I agree that it's scary to be a fulltime chandler right now. Less money for people to spend and more chandlers in the market would freak me out.

-Kristi

We have been so busy trying to fill our orders and stock the store. Once we think we are getting caught up we get another order that puts us backI work a regular full time job come home and start making candles and b&b and work until about 1am every night. I cant wait for the holidays to be over. My biggest competitor went out of business and now we are starting to get their business which we thought would be gradual and they bombarded us.

This is my 5th year doing candles. I am revamping my line come spring. Internet sales are definitely down. Normal sales are about the same. My sales have been later this year. My spring sales and fundraisers started late and went right into the end of July. Then down all the way through September and first part of October. All of my fundraisers are turning in now, which is a bit scary. They waited a really long time this fall to start. It seems that everyone if my area is procrastinating this year. Also, there are a ton of fundraisers (not mine) that I have been hit up on through my son. The schools have done back to back to back fundraisers. I finally just had to tell my son, no, I cant sell again to friends and co-workers. I also got hit up multiple times at work. My city is not that large and I think that people have had enough. I dont do shows. Looking at doing them next year though.

I've been making candles and selling them for seven years now. I did about the same as last year although sales are improved this year. But still, I have months where the wholesale orders just are not cutting it for the winter, Jan, Feb, March, April are very hard months to live solely on a candle business. So I'm looking to add CP soap and a few other things like Lip Balms and lotions., linen sprays and shower washes.

No whipped shea butter or scrubs. I want to keep everything very tight in looks so that I keep the costs down.

Fire

As we start our 6th year, we really can't complain. Our sales for the year will be up about 10%. Our Spring Fundraisers were up about 20% & our Fall Fundraisers are down about 20-25%. We have added 2 wholesale accounts and our Rep is still doing really well. Opening our shop one Saturday a month for our Locals has really worked well. Next Saturday will be huge (already presold for it.) We did over $800 in Nov.

I have several orders I need to get out next week, but the Fundraisers are DONE. :yay: :yay: We WILL get our tree up the week after and then just sit around the fireplace burning our pretty candles and resting. Carole

Wholesale has been down, for which I am thankful. (I'm not a huge fan, personally -- would rather stick to retail.) But my retail sales are up, up, up this year. Had my strongest show ever this weekend; highest gross I've had to date. (I'm still amazed at how much soap sold and *should* be in my workshop restocking right now, but I'm also very tired and in need of rest. No sense burning out.) Our booth was so crowded we had customers waiting to get in to shop. :) Can't complain. Thank goodness I have extra help this time of year or I'd be fried even worse.

This is my first year and I decided to try a few craft shows for CHristmas. I have been amazed at how well I have done. I make goat milk soap. I work my tail off at every show and I don't even have a clue what other people are selling since I have no time to look around. I know I am busy busy busy although I do notice the booths right around me don't seem to be doing as well. Either handcrafted soap is in vogue or they are willing to buy smaller dollar amounts. Most of my sales are at least $10.00 and it does take a lot of work per show. I have run out of liquid goat milk soap the last two shows. And I am not a real fan of making liquid soap but it is selling.