What do you charge for 8oz Jars??

pjm

I think I have finally begun making jar candles that I am satisfied with (I'm pretty picky). It costs me around $3 to make each jar (shipping charges kill me :( ) Anyway, how do you figure what you should charge. Since I'm just starting out, I don't want to charge too much, but I want it to be worth my time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

I have no problem getting $8.00 for my 8 oz jelly jars. I don't ship so that would be just what price is for my local customers. Becareful to take into consideration all your charges. The wax, the dye, the wick, the jar, the lid, the label and the shipping charges that it took to get the raw products to your house.

I charge $5.00 and that is cheap but what others charge in this area.Some less.I do not pay shipping for the jars but like one piece lids so buy those on-line.So it does also depend on the area you live too.

Sure wish I could get more.

LynnS

Shipping is a killer for me too. I live in the middle of nowhere and the only thing I am able to get locally is the jar. The general guideline for pricing is to take your cost and multiply it by 3 or 4. But you also have to consider what others are charging for a similar item so as not to price yourself out of the market. I've seen 8 oz jars being sold for anywhere between $4.50 and $9.95. Mine are $6 each although I reduce it to $5 if they buy more than 2.

Now I *know* I need to raise my prices. I charge $4.00 for 8oz and $8.00 for 16oz. This price includes my "chunk" jar candles!

WOW!!! only $8.00 for a 16oz. You must be buying your supplies by the truck load to sell a 16oz for that price.

I sell my 16oz apoth. for $12-16 according to the quanity bought.

For my 16 ounce mason jar I sell for $8.00 but if a apothecary it would have to be $11.00-12.00.I "had" those shipped and also the jar costs more.The 16 ounce mason I get at a wholesale place near me and believe me those jars are about the same cost as the 8 ounce JJ.

Finally cost with shipping and having a hard time getting the 16 ounce apothecary to burn good I will stay with the 16 ounce mason.It will sell better and also burn better.

The 8 ounce mason is $5.00 like mentioned above.I also do a 10 ounce classic and love that jar.It is $6.00.Other areas I am sure could get more for it.

LynnS

After seeing this post, I decided to raise my prices before my first home show yesterday. No one there knew my prices anyway so I was safe to do it when I did. I ended up making $200 and I was pleased with that since it was my first one and only 9 people showed (2 didn't buy). Anyway, here's my revised price list:

8oz JJ (was $4) now $5 (Chunk $6)

16 oz Mason (was $8) now $8.50 (Chunk $9.50)

If your candle costs you $3.00 to make then wholesale should be $6 and retail at least $12... It's important to make a decent profit IF you are trying to make a living at this stuff. I just read this topic and cringed through most of the posts... many seem to be selling themselves short in my opinion.

I wholesale to almost 40 stores now all over the country as well as have a retail store... trust me when I tell you - people WILL pay a fair price for a great product. Many of the "big boys" are going up on their prices.. which are already higher than what most of us charge. Yankee will be going up (again) the first of November - the second increase in about a year. Heck their new wholesale price on their tarts will be .78 each.

Just be sure when you set your prices that you make a good profit... the busy season isn't much fun if you don't make any money. :)

Have a great day!

Chele

I agree with Chele that everyone's prices seem so low...or maybe I am just charging to much! I sell my 8oz for $8 and don't seem to have too many people complaining about the price. I have to have EVERYTHING shipped since I can't find straight sided jars around here.:undecided

If your candle costs you $3.00 to make then wholesale should be $6 and retail at least $12... It's important to make a decent profit IF you are trying to make a living at this stuff.
The tricky thing is, others could be making the same thing for $2.00 e.g. they can get more ingredients locally, or they are able to buy in larger quantities. In which case, they'd be charging $8 retail compared to your $12. It's a fine line between making a decent profit and not pricing yourself out of the market.

I started this as a hobby.. when I decided to sell I also decided to make money... this is my main source of income... so I must take it seriously. All that being said I am one of the higher priced candles in my area.. I never claimed my candles were a great price... I sell a great product .. at a fair price. I'm not out to be the Wal-mart of candles. I'm out to take on the big guys.. the Beanpods, Yankees, etc of the world. I'm proud to say our candles are now being sold all over the country in hutches that used to hold the big guys... people will pay more for a great quality candle.. trust me ;)

If I couldn't get the retail price I needed to make a good profit I would do one of several things...

1) change my jar to something less expensive or I could get locally...

2) change to a jar that no one else has (so my competition would be minimal) (Jelly jars are a tough market.. they saturate craft shows and flea markets... that's why we don't carry that jar. We have the 8oz square mason and sell it for $10.95 and will be going up to $11.95 in January.)

3) I'd buy other items (wicks, FO, wax, etc) in bulk from the manufacturers to help cut my cost. I don't buy anything but our flowerpot jars locally... everything else is shipped... so trust me I understand shipping costs... but buying in bulk really helps.

If this is just a hobby or a small home business I suppose profit margin isn't as important... again I was just stunned when I saw the prices posted in this thread. Many of the retail prices posted are what we are getting for our wholesale prices...

Have a great day!

Chele