What do you charge for 8oz Jars??

pjm

I sell my 8 oz. jj's for $5.50 each. I get my jars locally at a good price and use EZ Soy, which is priced better than the other soy waxes I was using. I am still able to make 3X my cost selling at this price, so I don't feel I am undercutting myself any. Different parts of the country have different costs, I suppose.

For my 16 ounce mason jar I sell for $8.00 but if a apothecary it would have to be $11.00-12.00.I "had" those shipped and also the jar costs more.The 16 ounce mason I get at a wholesale place near me and believe me those jars are about the same cost as the 8 ounce JJ.

Finally cost with shipping and having a hard time getting the 16 ounce apothecary to burn good I will stay with the 16 ounce mason.It will sell better and also burn better.

The 8 ounce mason is $5.00 like mentioned above.I also do a 10 ounce classic and love that jar.It is $6.00.Other areas I am sure could get more for it.

LynnS

same here. I did a craft show a couple weekends ago, and people were selling there's starting at four dollars. and even the ones home interior does for fundraisers were going for five dollars. I'm not sure of the size. I do know they are no smaller than the 8oz. jj. I'm thinking probably the 9oz size. So heck, I thought I was doing good to get $5.00 ea. for mine.

I can't imagine selling any candle for less than a buck an ounce.

We are selling our 8oz tumblers ( votivo style ) for $15.00 and we think we are giving our customers a great deal.

The 3 wick 20 oz ( I think that is the right oz) are $20.00 ( Tyler Candle Type) and again, we believe that this is a great value.

We use the very best supplies available and use great caution in making every single candle. We do not "cut corners" We are not really "mass producing" since we only sell in our own store.

Hi everyone,

This has been a really interesting thread to watch.

I think one of the biggest challenges for moving from the hobby realm into the professional crafter realm is mostly about mindset.

As you may already know, I'm not a candlemaker by trade. But I've been a professional crafter for all of my adult life (going on 20 years now :-o!) and one of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from my Dad very early on in the process.

He said:

"Pricing your products too low is a disservice to your customers."

Took me some time to really wrap my brian around that, but maybe you'll see what he was meaning too. Think about it, if you don't make enough of a profit (either literally OR enough to keep your attention and excitement up), you won't be around long to serve your customers.

Here's the key to that puzzle.

You have to *believe* that you are offering something very special ... you have to create a USP (unique selling point) for yourself and your craft ... something that sets you apart from all the other $4 jelly jars candles in this world. Once you believe it, your price point can be anything... it becomes more of a matter of finding your market.

Working on branding, USP and target marketing will make pricing to keep up with the Jones' far less important.

I also was thinking somewhere in the $1/oz range as a guideline for retail.

The other great pricing hump that I had to get over was remembering to think of myself as the wholesaler and then mark up accordingly when the retailer hat went on.

When I was doing a line of sandblasted glass candleholders and bottles, I settled at the cost of materials (including s/h) being equal to appx 33% of the wholesale price.

Where would that put everyone's pricing?

Andrea

Excellent points, Andrea!

We retail the 8 oz. jj for $8 and apothecaries for $13. However, with numerous price increases this year, we should now be selling them for around $10 and $15, respectively. Something to think about...

I started this business with the intention of being less expensive than the big guys, but my mindset has changed dramatically. If your goal is to be "as good" as them, then sure, lower prices would likely suffice, but we want to be BETTER, and therefore, worth the higher price in the consumers' eyes. We are providing a high quality product, so why should we accept less?

ETA: This is just something for everyone to think about, not a rant at those who sell for less. It took a long time and ALOT of marketing study to get into that mindset.

As I start my business, I adoped this mindset from the beginning. My product is of higher value than that of a mass-produced product. Thus - I will charge as much if not more. It's my hands making my product. It's my mind that is making formulations. It's my spirit that drives my business. My hands, my mind, and my spirit are completely worth the $12 I charge for an 8oz candle.

I set out to be higher end. I'm a higher end customer myself and wanted to make something that would attract me (if that makes sense...).

Jen