wick setter or stick

Soooooo, i've seen the posts on the Wick Setter from CS, and i like the way it looks and i'm leaning towards buying it.

I've also found the Wick Stick on Candlewic and wondering if anyone has used them, and if so will they work on votive jars as well?

Opinions please.

I bought some of those Wick Stick things and ended up throwing them away.

1) The rectangular bit on top would slide around at the slightest provocation, sending things off-center during the first pour

2) Soy wax wouldn't come out of the hollow center of the tube well

3) The manufacturer claims that the wick+wicktab are held in place by the weight of the wax. In practice, when the wax gets soft toward the bottom, the wick moves around and gets off-center, making things ugly with the jar.

So I tossed them completely and wrote it off as a learning experience :)

I use a home made version of the Wickstick myself, basically a straw which fits over the wick. Positioned and stabalized at the top with 2 for a buck dollar store craft scissors.

The only thing to be really careful about is to turn it several times as the wax is hardening so that it can slip free when youre ready to take it out. Otherwise you will be popping out wick, tab and a straw full of hardened wax.

I use a home made version of the Wickstick myself, basically a straw which fits over the wick. Positioned and stabalized at the top with 2 for a buck dollar store craft scissors.

The only thing to be really careful about is to turn it several times as the wax is hardening so that it can slip free when youre ready to take it out. Otherwise you will be popping out wick, tab and a straw full of hardened wax.

Do you take the stick out before the repour?

None of these things is foolproof. I have a couple of the wicksticks, but they do not guarantee a centered wick in the bottom of the jar. What I did was make a board with pieces of wood glued to form a cradle, which fit the jar jar snugly, then in the exact center of that assembly, I used a compass and drew a circle the exact size of the wick clip. Now when the jar is placed in the cradle, the circle is in the exact center of the jar. I place the glue dot on the wick clip, and, using the wick stick, place the wick clip in the circle, and the wick is centered. I then use a centering device, which I make, and are for sale, which holds the wick centered at the top of the jar.

Haven't had an uncentered wick in years.

Fredron

Do you take the stick out before the repour?

Absolutely. And there is no reason why you cant apply some silicone to the bottom of the tab to secure it to the container so it doesnt move around. In that case you would want to give it an hour or so to set uo before pouring.

Now if youre pouring at a high temp you would want to check whether or not a plastic straw will hold up to that temp.

I LOVE my wick setter. I never have to wonder again if my wicks are centered in the bottom of the jar. I use wick centering tools with small binder clips or clothespins to hold the wick tight. I don't have a good eye to feel comfortable my wicks are centered with popsicle sticks and other tricks I have read about.

I have the EZ wick setter and hate it. It has too much wiggle room and they can leave the wicks slightly off center. I didn't notice it in the tins, but I looked at the bottom of the 9 oz. hex and there's a circle that the wick should be in the middle of from the etching and it was off center a bit.

I use my WCT's to set wicks now, just use it in reverse.

I use a wicksetter also--but I have found on one of my jars it doesn't have a corresponding circle size so it doesn't always set center--have to be careful.

Before (and sometimes now) I used the outer barrel of a bic pen, it works perfectly to place the wick. On the bottom, I just printed different circles (corresponding with the jar sizes) on a sheet of paper with a dot center (easy to do in MS Word). Just aim the bic barrel with the wick in for the dot on the paper and presto.

I use the wick holders from BCN to secure the tops of the wicks and on those I have drawn lines radiating outward from the wick center so those are always perfect on top as well.

I have an ez wicker and it's fine if you're pouring multiple jars that are the same size..I pour my candles in all kinds of containers and it's a pia to keep re-setting the ez wicker..I actually slip my wick (stickum attached) into a straw and then press down..works great when you're wicking a bunch of different containers, however, if I'm triple wicking I always use the wicker..

One thing you do have to be careful of when using the EZ setter is that your wick tab is centered on the magnet...it's easy to do just by feeling when you push the wick in...but if it's not centered, your wick will be off slightly. Doesn't matter where the stick-um ends up or if it's off. I usually use the same jar while pouring, so for me it's a lifesaver!