What was your first candle?

I am just starting my candle making adventure, yes, I am a 36 year old virgin :grin2:. I have a few questions for those of you with a little more experience than I have.

1. What was the first candle you made and how did it turn out?

2. What resources did you use to research candle making?

3. Did you use dyes and FO on your first?

4. Do you have a special room or space you use exclusively for your candle making (basement, garage, etc...), or do you use your kitchen?

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)?

6. Have any tips that I have not found on this site that may be helpful?

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be?

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and departing a little wisdom upon this ignorant (hopefully not for long) soul...

Anything else you'd like to know? LOL

Start with a votive kit, that's the easiest IMO.

I searched the interenet for months, candle boards, anything I could get my hands on because I was determined to make a better candle than those I had purchased, included the crummy Yankme. Made my first and last batch in the kitchen, woo wee, don't know how anyone can stand that. You need a lot of ventilation and opening windows isn't enough. So in the garage I went and DH put in plenty of exhaust fans and heating and air conditioning.

I don't want to make just one kind of candle, just one's that people actually burn, not just look at.

I have already made my ultimate candle, that being all of them, LMAO

1. What was the first candle you made and how did it turn out? I made a pillar and at the time I thought is was the best...what did I know.

2. What resources did you use to research candle making? CandleTech and the internet

3. Did you use dyes and FO on your first? Yes

4. Do you have a special room or space you use exclusively for your candle making (basement, garage, etc...), or do you use your kitchen? I moved to the basement earlier this year...started in the kitchen.

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)? Get a starter kit of whatever you want to make.

6. Have any tips that I have not found on this site that may be helpful? Nope. The more you read, the more you learn.

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be? Rustic Pillars.

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)? My ultimate was the rustic pillar and I learned how to do that.

I made a pillar and it was a sad little thing. Decided I needed to research before trying any more. Thankfully found Candletech soon after

This board has the most info of any that I've found to date

Yes

4. Do you have a special room or space you use exclusively for your candle making (basement, garage, etc...), or do you use your kitchen?

I started in the kitchen and soon realized that I needed a space where I could just close the door when I was done for the day and just forget about it. Having to clean up a candle making mess just to cook dinner was too agrivating, so I now have turned a spare bedroom into my candle & soap room.

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)?

I would start with a votive or pillar kit from Peak or a supplier near you to save shipping cost. I think the easiest way to start is with votives.

Read the archives on this board.

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be?

My rustic pillars.

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)?

Pillars....and thanks to this board I am able to make "My" ultimate candle.

Welcome to CT :D

My first candles were Coconut Cream Pie votives. The place I purchased them from went out of business, and life without CCP just wasn't worth living, so I HAD to make my own!

I went to Nature's garden, printed out the instructions on how to make a votive, bought a slab of OK6228, some wicks and some FO's (no coloring at first). I didn't know of any other online resource at the time, and didn't really need it. I only needed the directions on how to do it, and the proper wax and wicks for the application :)

I didn't do any research ahead of time, and the votives came out perfectly. I'm not always sure why I see people say they research for months at a time; I say just jump on in there! Pick a type of candle, buy a slab of wax and wicks that work with that application and go for it! Then when you make mistakes, you understand why and can fix them. Nothing beats hands-on experience.

Heck, I was so ignorant of the 'rules' at the time that I made votives with container wax (4786), votives with soy container wax (KY125), etc. They all came out of the molds just fine, and burned great, so I didn't know any better. Sometimes I think it's better not to know all the rules of candlemaking. Making them up as you go along is so much more fun!

Don't be scared of wax. If you make a mistake you can melt it down, try again and move on. If you buy an FO, pour it into the wax and it's seriously nasty, throw it out. If you make something that's really ugly, only you know it. You can trash it or burn it just for you.

DanaE - off the soapbox........

1. What was the first candle you made and how did it turn out? Container candle using JOY wax.. turned out better than expected

2. What resources did you use to research candle making? NG's BB to start with, but have used a few more since then

3. Did you use dyes and FO on your first? Yes

4. Do you have a special room or space you use exclusively for your candle making (basement, garage, etc...), or do you use your kitchen? I built a second story onto my garage, so I have a 24 x 24 shop. I split its use as I also do some small stained glass projects.

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)? Votive kits

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be? too hard to choose, but would say probably containers

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)? triple layer/scented pillar candle

1. What was the first candle you made and how did it turn out? Votives. I thought they were great at the time.

2. What resources did you use to research candle making? Internet

3. Did you use dyes and FO on your first? Yes. Crummy FO (what did I know) and crayons, LOL.

4. Do you have a special room or space you use exclusively for your candle making (basement, garage, etc...), or do you use your kitchen? I am stuck in my kitchen. They can eat pizza every day.

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)? A kit for sure.

6. Have any tips that I have not found on this site that may be helpful? This is the best resource on the net! Too bad it took me so long to find it. Read, read and read some more.

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be? Rustic Pillars.

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)? Make them already, my Rustics.

e

1. What was the first candle you made and how did it turn out? An 8 oz. container candle. Turned out "okay." Wick was too big and burned like a torch. LOL.

2. What resources did you use to research candle making? Can't remember the first site I wandered into but once I found Candletech, I never turned back!

3. Did you use dyes and FO on your first? Yes.

4. Do you have a special room or space you use exclusively for your candle making (basement, garage, etc...), or do you use your kitchen? I use my kitchen. HOPE to one day have a workroom!!!

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)? Votives are easy and easy to test wicks on since you can just slide in a new wick if the one you're testing at first doesn't work.

6. Have any tips that I have not found on this site that may be helpful? I think you will find helpful tips for EVERY problem imaginable on this site.

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be? Container candles. These have always been my personal favorites as a "burner" and now as someone who makes them.

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)? I'd like to try my hand at pillar candles. I can't say they are my "ultimate" candle, but they are definitely something I want to try.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you will enjoy candlemaking! Oh, and welcome to the board. :D

I bought a 2" pillar mold and wax from Michaels. Actually, turned out awesome - great mottle. Used the wick that came with the mold and it didn't burn for s...

Internet. Just about everything I learned I found at the yahoo group candlemakingsurvival. Then I floated around a few more boards, and ended up here.

Yup. It was green, don't remember the scent though.

I've got a second full kitchen in the basement (refrig/sink/stove) - so I've taken over 1/2 the basement for my business.

Do a kit. Each type - votive/pillar/container has it's beginning pitfalls. I think votives are easier to wick, and you don't have to worry about things like pillars breaking the wall. Containers can be easy to start with if you keep to diameters in the 2.5-3" range, straight sides.

My 2" pillars.

A totally awesomely designed hurricane w/ dried herbs/flowers that's such a piece of art that everyone would grab them up.

I used wax crystals (Candle Magic), melted them in a pot (hated that the bag always seemed to eventually melt so eventually moved to paraffin), and the candles came out fine appearance-wise, had only a cold throw and burned well ... yucky. This was 10 years ago lol.

I had only books as a resource then. I bought a handful of them and read from front to back, marked what I wanted to try, ditched the crystal wax and started building a supply of molds, but didn't get wise about not using the scent stuff at like Hobby Lobby till actually finding places like Pourette and Candlewic. Called suppliers out of those candle books and got catelogs and joined a club that sent out a monthly newsletter, where I got more ideas. Stumbling onto this board, joining the one Robin listed and a few others proved to be invaluable, moreso than books :)

Oh yeah! I never had a fascination for a plain candle lol. Always figured if it didn't work, I'd just keep remelting till it did. Of course it had to come out of the mold and the third candle I made, didn't.

And a kitchen isn't a special room? LOL!

To me, the easiest thing to make is what you really want to make. I started out making pillars. It's only hard if that's your mindset, but that's been my approach to anything. My suggestion, oh I wish they had better kits when I first started. I think the kits are invaluable. You have a lot of choices and you get a lot of the supplies, plus quality oil. I would suggest a kit from a candle supplier, and not from Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart or some place like that, because the oils just don't work or you don't get the instructions etc. And heck, it's more expensive that way.

Enjoy what you're doing and don't be afraid to experiment on your own. There's no limitations, except what you put on yourself.

I love what I'm doing now (pillars) and the creative ability to work with versatile products.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you lol! Actually in a book I have it showed wax art from a European candle maker who made such realistic things as snakes and other hand-molded candles that were pure beauty.

a grubby topped votive, it actually turned out better than the one that inspired me,lol!

books, and my mom, who made candles while i was growning up. we had just gotten a computer, so i had no idea about message boards, just a few internet supply sources.

yes

the kitchen, even though hubby cleared out a big area in the laundry room, i am a creature of habit.

i was always told container candles, like j-50 or j-223 were the easiest, and they are..to me.

i don't think i could decide between my containers and pillars...i love both

a big huge floor candle embedded with pot pourri, with cut outs on the top for 3 container candles to fit in.

I had gotten 10lbs of wax from a supplier, melted it and added a orange crayon & pumpkin pie FO. Poured it and discovered that crayon wax doesn't work that well. It gave me almost no color and choked the dear life out of my wick lol

None before I tried, but looking back I guess I should of!

Yep - crayon and pumpkin pie

When I first started, it was my mini kitchen in my old house in the basement. Since then I have moved my candles to 3 places - finally settling in at my retail location in Utica where my shop is now.

Honestly? It is all about testing and reading about what others have done. Do tons of research and read about all the mistakes everyone else makes & you will save yourself a bunch of money!!

I would have to say out of all the boards and candle lists I have ever belonged to, this is the most thorough! Sometimes if you have a good supplier that you get your wax and fo/eo from, they will help you too. Doesn't hurt to ask other candlemakers as well for their advice.

Exactly what I am making now because it took me a long time to perfect it.

Soy pillars! I don't know what the deal is lately, but I am all about pillars & can't wait to try and do them. Of course, I haven't yet...still learning from others mistakes first!

1. What was the first candle you made and how did it turn out? It's been almost a year and a half ago and it was a 8oz mason jar made with a slab of wax from Hobby Lobby, Yales wick, scent and dye block from Hobby Lobby. Turned out pretty bad. Horrible melt pool (wax was definitely not made for containers) and it just looked bad. The fragrance and color weren't too bad though all things considered (peach color and peach fragrance).

2. What resources did you use to research candle making? Internet and this board, which, this board has been my MOST valuable tool...without it I would definitely be where I am today

3. Did you use dyes and FO on your first? yes

Unfortunately, my kitchen

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)? Thats up to you, but I would get a starter kit from Peaks or somewhere else...I never got a kit and looking back it would have been a great idea

If its not on this site, then you don't need to know!!! LOL

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be? Hmmm...containers I guess but then again I haven't tried any other type

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)? A hurricane

I wanted unscented pillars other than plain white and ivory, so I bought some palm wax, dye and a mold I saw in a craft catalog. Suprisingly, my first pillars came out perfect.

I just followed the directions that came with the mold. When I was ready to try other waxes and techniques, I searched the net and found Genwax and Candletech.

Just dye chips

A corner of my kitchen, with an empty cabinet I shove everything into when I'm done for the day.

Palm wax and pre-blended pillar wax flakes are really easy. You just have to melt them over indirect heat, add FO and a dye chip, cool to 180 degrees and pour into a greased mold with a wick pin. Not much to it.

If you're having wicking problems, go easy on the fragrance oil until you get the hang of things.

Semi-translucent rustic pillars that glow all the way down when lit.

Those same rustics. I can't get them transparent enough to glow well. :cry2:

1. What was the first candle you made and how did it turn out? The first candle that I made was horrible. I just starting making one, I had been researching, but really had NO idea what I was doing. It was a container candle, in a 16 ounce Apoth. I had Rose FO, and I only added like five drops to a whole pound of wax. It wasn't colored. It was BAD.

2. What resources did you use to research candle making? I spent hundreds of hours on the internet, in the library finding craft books, asking all kinds of questions to suppliers.

3. Did you use dyes and FO on your first? FO yes, Dye, no

4. Do you have a special room or space you use exclusively for your candle making (basement, garage, etc...), or do you use your kitchen? I had a shop when I had my business, but after I sold it, I sold the building (It was just a tiny storage building in my yard) and now i use my kitchen!

5. Any suggestions on how I should start (maybe what you think is the "easiest" to make)? Research, research, research, and a kit.

6. Have any tips that I have not found on this site that may be helpful? I think you can find the answer to just about anything on here.

7. If you could only make one type kind of candle for the rest of your life, what would that be? I don't know, I love them all.

8. What is your ultimate candle, the greatest candle you dream of making (and have not yet)? There are TONS of things on here I want to try. I idolize Bruce's work, and want to try it.

First one was votives and turned out very good! I actually surprised myself!

After one of my first batches of votives, I had added too much vybar...I wondered what that would do to the votives so I started to search the net and found Candletech. I then spent hours upon hours reading the archives in every section.

Yes.

Started in my kitchen and still there. However, with many new wholesale accounts, I've expanded to take over the living room, part of the family room, the garage...

I'd suggest you figure what type of candle you most want to make a get a kit that will come with everything you need to get started. Most of us tend to test several types of wax for each application, then several types of wicks, FO, etc...start with one type!

This site seriously has some of the best information. Check the threads at the very top of the front page because just about anything you can think of is there.

That's hard. I personally love to burn jars but all of my accounts buy rustic pillars. Guess I'd have to keep the pillars to keep making money! LOL

Thanks for the responses, I really enjoyed the answers and a few made me laugh. The depth of knowledge and the fact that you are willing to share it so freely is amazing. I am definitely going to order a kit to start with and I am not nearly as paranoid about using my kitchen (with a fire extinguisher and a few fans) as I was before. I will be staring with votives and a few small pillars to start with and I will post my results with pictures some time next week.

Once again, thanks a ton for your helpfulness and encouragement.:grin2:

My first candle was a 3.6Lb xmas tree.

I DO NOT revommend starting this way!!!!!

I did some searching on the web and found PEAK, so I bought this 2 piece plastic xmas tree mold and a block of pillar wax, some xmas green chips and xmas splendor scent.

I had no idea the candle would be so BIG!

I think I made just about every mistake you can imagine with this beast. It took me nearly 2 weeks to get a real candle..

First try was in kitchen. spilled 3lbs of stinky (I don't like xmas splendor scent), dark green wax all over counter, sink, and floor.

Second try was in basement (wife wouldn't let me back in kitchen). spilled appx 3lbs of stinky green wax all over workbench, toolbox, and floor.

Third try was in garage (wife still adamant about kitchen, and I didn't want to have to clean workbench again. Kitchen was better. Wife cleaned up most of that one). This one went a little smoother. I had learned to watch for leaks. Only spilled about 2LBs on bench and floor.

Fourth try went pretty well. Back in kitchen (wife not home. grin.) Only spilled a little bit of "overflow". Had terrible time removing from mold. broke top off candle, and pulled wick out...

Fifth try in kitchen. Spilled about 1.5LBS on counter and floor. Seems these plastic molds are not very stout. I had several holes and cracks from cleaning up my other mistakes. Patched it with plastic epoxy.

Sixth try SUCCESS! It wasn't pretty. Had blotches from "sticky" spots where it didn't want to release, and the bottom was all lopsided, but it WAS a real candle. Don't know if it will burn. I refuse to light it!!!!

That was a cpl years ago. I have since made 20 or so more of them and they go pretty easy now.

After that debacle I was going to quit but then I got the urge again so I ordered a votive kit. Votive kit IS the way to go. Too bad I didn't start with one. (grin)

Good Luck

Dick