Cleaning Votive Molds!

Hello All.

I am just curious and wanted to hear from those who make a big batxh of votives at one time. Do you clean your molds before the next batch? If so, then what do you to clean them?

I currently clean my molds after every batch with hot water, I have also experimented with Orange Clean Wipes which seem to work pretty good. I am looking to see what you all do and if there is something I should be doing.

TIA

Jeff

put 'em in the oven on warm for a few minutes (upside down on papertowel), OR zap 'em w/heat gun & wiped down w/paper towel, OR dip the bottom of the mold in hot water & wipe down while they are hot. there are mold cleaners on the market if ya wanna spend the money -- but I prefer to spend my extra cash on FOs :D

I wash mine after every use.....I put them upside down on a cookie sheet lined with foil and pop them in the oven for a few minutes, then wipe them out with paper towels. After doing a ton of them, you will get into the "zone" and it will go pretty quickly...LOL

I clean approx. 400 molds each week. The easiest method I've found over the years is to layer large baking trays with paper towels and place molds upside down. I stack the trays 5 high and place in oven at 200 degrees. I place old towels in the sink and after 20 minutes dump the molds on the towels and wipe the trays. These trays are also the same trays I use when making candles. They catch any overpours and makes handling the molds so much easier. I have a pouring pot for each scent and before cleaning I scrap any overpour back into its own pouring pot. I wouldn't recommend washing the molds.

I wouldn't wash the molds with water - they will rust. It might take a couple of months, but it'll happen. Ask me how I know....

I used to use the oven, heat them up and wipe them out. Now I have a work room in the basement, so I use the heatgun to get them hot and wipe them out.

I do the same with pour pots. I get them really hot and then wipe wipe wipe, inside and out.

DanaE

Am I the only one that doesnt clean mine? I dont have residue left in my molds and i've never had a problem with the scent transferring either.

Nope, I don't clean mine either.. There is never any left over wax, so I don't have to worry about it. I've never had any scent transfer either...

Guest ShellyRobyn

I usually have a little ring of wax under my wick pin and maybe a touch in the mold so I just heat and wipe with a paper towel. When I make votives I start with the lightest colors and work my way to the reds. Then clean molds after reds.:smiley2:

I don't have to clean mine after using OK6228 wax, but when I use a mottling wax I always have to clean them. There's little wax spots all in there. I love making OK6228 votives because I know there's no work afterwards!

DanaE

I only clean them if I have a tough time getting the votive out. Then I put them in the oven on a cookie sheet covered with paper towels. I turn the oven to 150, put them in the oven, turn the oven off and let them sit in there for about 15 minutes. Pull them out, wipe em clean and wah - lah! clean votives! HTH