FO will not mix, just sinks to the bottom of the pot

I've never had this happen before. I used Candy Corn from Lone Star in 4625 pillar wax. I added the FO at about 175 degrees and it just sank to the bottom. I stirred and stirred and raised the heat a little, but nothing worked. I used 1 1/4 pounds of wax and 1.1 oz. of FO.

Help?!?:cry2:

Try placing the bottle of FO in warm water to warm it up before you add it to the wax. Sometimes that's the only thing that works for me. Then again, you might have to cut back the amount you use on that particular scent. Good luck!!

This is normal for FOs containing vanilla fragrance. It does mix, but you have to stir it for a much longer time than you would ever expect. Just keep stirring until all the droplets disappear no matter how long it takes. And disregard any of the advice you're bound to receive about using a wire whisk. You don't want to whip air into the hot wax. Some people recommend gently heating the FO bottle a little in warm water before using it. I don't do that but you could try and see if it helps any. You should probably also heat the wax up to more like 185.

... And disregard any of the advice you're bound to receive about using a wire whisk. You don't want to whip air into the hot wax.

Heh heh....Top, I think you and I are the only two who think that way :o!

And I agree, try warming your wax a bit more.

I've never had this happen before. I used Candy Corn from Lone Star in 4625 pillar wax. I added the FO at about 175 degrees and it just sank to the bottom. I stirred and stirred and raised the heat a little, but nothing worked. I used 1 1/4 pounds of wax and 1.1 oz. of FO.

Help?!?:cry2:

I had this VERY same problem with this particular FO from LSCS. I called them because I really think the oils is not formulated right. They did not do anything about it.

I did all the tricks in the book. I cut down to .20oz per # and it STILL will not incorporate. I heated the oil, poured oil at a higher temp, stirred, whisked for 20 mins straight, and STILL got the same results. It sits at the bottom of the pot, and when I pour it out, I got this gooey gunk in my melt pot that is cemented to it. I CANNOT get this stuff out of my pot with goo gone, mold cleaner or anything else. I would call them. Maybe if enough people complain they will do something about it. I still have almost a full pound from last year. What a waste of 16 bucks. I offered to send it back so I could get something else and they wouldn't hear of it. :cry2:

PS Is yours a think amber color too??

I never use a wire whisk either. I've found that with Vanillas, I've mixed the FOs in around 190/195 as well and also put ithe FO in a little glass and put the glass in hot tap water while the wax is melting.

It sits at the bottom of the pot, and when I pour it out, I got this gooey gunk in my melt pot that is cemented to it. I CANNOT get this stuff out of my pot with goo gone, mold cleaner or anything else.
Well, that's pretty special, LOL. What in the world did they say when you described that to them? Maybe you should have sent it back with the pour pot included.

I'm curious, did you pour it into a pre-blend also? It kinda sounds like it might have reacted with polyethylene or EVA or some such thing that was in the wax.

I didn't dissolve some clear crystals and it is stuck in the pot...luckily it is just a dab....but it won't come out. Donita
Does sound kinda similar, doesn't it? If that's the case, then they have to take it back. They sell it as being compatible with wax, and that's gotta include pre-blended pillar wax. Sounds like they might have a big problem with this FO and disregarded the complaints.

Well, that's pretty special, LOL. What in the world did they say when you described that to them? Maybe you should have sent it back with the pour pot included.

I'm curious, did you pour it into a pre-blend also? It kinda sounds like it might have reacted with polyethylene or EVA or some such thing that was in the wax.

When I described it they just said to cut back some more on the amount used. Heck I was already cutting back to .25oz. :tongue2: . I poured it in J223, 4794, and in some hobby lobby paraffin. I don't think there is anything out there to help this stuff out. I should have sent them the pot and stuff huh lol:D

I've had the same problem with a FO purchased at LSCS.... I don't know why that would be, but it always seems to happen with their FO. I have found that heating the wax after adding the FO helps, and stirring, stirring, stirring. I have had one pouring pot ruined by the "gunk"...... 3060951i.gif

Personally, I'd search for a candy corn that IS compatible with your wax. I don't care to push limits. If it doesn't like my wax (polar)..there is a reason. There are way too many candy corns out there that will more than likely blend just fine.

Have you tried Candle Cocoon's? It's absolutely awesome!

For the life of my I don't understand when I see posts that say "warm bottle, heat wax higher, stand on one leg, leaning at a 45 degree angle and stir for 45 minutes" who the heck has that kind of time and patience for one oil?! :confused:

Well, I'll admit I'm the odd man out then. I use a wire wisk but I don't beat air into the wax - far from it - a very gentle stir in a figure 8 pattern works much better for me than the much more circular stiring I used to have to do with sticks of some sort. (The FO just sort of swam in the same direction as the wax.) Anyway, seems to work fine for me. YMMV.

Oh - I'll second CC's Candy Corn - I just wish I wasn't so sick of every candy-corn type scent out there!

Well, I'll admit I'm the odd man out then. I use a wire wisk but I don't beat air into the wax - far from it - a very gentle stir in a figure 8 pattern works much better for me than the much more circular stiring I used to have to do with sticks of some sort. (The FO just sort of swam in the same direction as the wax.) Anyway, seems to work fine for me. YMMV.

Oh - I'll second CC's Candy Corn - I just wish I wasn't so sick of every candy-corn type scent out there!

Wax beater. Don't deny it.

Actually even if you don't beat the wax, a whisk doesn't seem optimal to me because it doesn't have a surface to push wax around. I use a kitchen mixing spoon that's made of a polyamide/fiberglass composite. Gives me a good swirl, doesn't make air bubbles like wood, good to 400F and cleans up nicely with the heat gun. Bed Bath & Beyond has them. They look like plastic in a matte finish and come in red or blue.

I only beat my wax when it deserves it - which is a lot lately. And I'm always at BBB molesting those mottles - so I'll take a look at your plastic spoon too. :)

(Yea thats right, I'll admit it, not only am I a wax beater, I'm a mottle molester).

Wow! Guess it isn't just my lazy stirring habits! :D Yep, my FO is a thick yellow color--I was amazed that the white stayed as white as it did. I think this is just a bad FO. Now I have to worry about the other 3 scents I got from them. Maybe just a hard lesson learned.

But I've never had this trouble with other vanillas. Of course, they weren't from LS.

Thanks for all the advice and fun!

Karen