Doe In Heat

topofmurrayhill

Bwahahaha!! What the heck would you put the FO on? Seriously?? Can you see it now? The Buck trying to horn through the door to get to the candle LMAO!!! I know that some folks put fragrance of that sort on different things to train hunting dogs and stuff..but dang, that's seriously dangerous when you think about it~~ going where only nature should go LOLOLOL...sorry I can only imagine.

WTF??? My husband is an avid hunter, and I reluctantly admit that I have more than one smelled doe-in-heat scent, but to put it in a freaking candle? Why would you do that? The only thing I can think of is maybe the intent was to soap it since hunters will spray that scent on there clothes and shoes anyway:undecided

LMAOOO

I guess for non-hunters, it seems very strange indeed!

Grew up a country boy and hunting filled the freezer and my ex-wife had a cousin who raised a herd of deer and is a natural scent manufacturer so I know just a bit about this

So - I will cover a few things

There are several categories of scents for hunters - the basic ones are the Attractants such as doe-in-heat (I am sure you know why this attracts) , Rutting Buck (Makes a buck think he has "competition" and comes to see if the competition is bigger than him) and food scents (such as honeysuckle, acorns, persimmon, appleblossom, etc) - And you wouldn't want to put these on your person because the deer is searching for the source of the scent and if he sees you before you see him you simply won't see him - these are generally placed away from the hunter but in a spot he/she can see

The other category of scents are cover scents - to try and mask the human odor - these are those such as the red fox pee (The thought being that not only will these scents help mask human odors, but also using scents from such animals because they "belong there") These are placed directly on the hunter

Heating scents, as we know from candles, can result in a better hot throw and spread the scent further - thus the use in candles or candle warmer type products - And no, I don't think these would be used much around the deer camp, but rather out in the woods themselves while hunting - I had never seen or even heard of a candle using these scents but have heard of warmer type products to get a hot throw

A side note - before anyone runs and starts a new "Hunter's Line" of candles - the proper use of scents in hunting can help a hunter - but using scents the wrong way or using the wrong scents at the wrong time will gaurantee that you scare off the game you are trying to attract - which wouldn't exactly do much for your sales lol - Plus it has to be a natural scent - what smells like honeysuckle in a candle to us won't neccessarily smell that way to a deer

Like chandlers, hunting scent manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on research and developement - it is a HUGE business!

Ummm, I was told to come respond to this thread. lol:D

Yup I am guilty. I make them. I make the incense too.

I make the 4oz candles for the hunters. And let me tell ya, this stuff stinks.

You would never wanna make it inside. I smell for days after making it. I swear it draws into my skin. lol

Anyways, Yup Us hunters use these and they work.

I got my buck within 20 minutes on my stand

My man got his buck too. Of course his was bigger than mine..:undecided

They only get used during the rut season, which is about to start anytime here in PA...

Wish I was out there this year.

So yup some of us are nuts enough to do it...Stink and all. lol

A side note - before anyone runs and starts a new "Hunter's Line" of candles - the proper use of scents in hunting can help a hunter - but using scents the wrong way or using the wrong scents at the wrong time will gaurantee that you scare off the game you are trying to attract - which wouldn't exactly do much for your sales lol - Plus it has to be a natural scent - what smells like honeysuckle in a candle to us won't neccessarily smell that way to a deer

Like chandlers, hunting scent manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on research and developement - it is a HUGE business!

Scrubzz is right...I wouldn't recommend trying to make them unless you are a hunter and out in the big woods and know what the scents of nature are.

LOL About the coverup scents? We use a vanilla spray, smells so good. Well last year I thought I was spraying myself down with the wonderful vanilla scent....I started smelling it, here it was the doe in heat scent!!!!!!

I did not know it but my man changed bottles on me....I had to sit all day with that stink on me. Eating and all. peeeeU...

Needless to say...I was not a very happy hunter that day....:laugh2:

Good thang no buck were around....:shocked2:

My Dh has been after me for several years to find one.... A candle in the woods really scares me, But incense in the right container should be ok. TIA

me too! Dh wants me to start making them (he's hunting at this moment) and I just can't imagine putting a hunter with a candle in the woods, especially since it is so dry down here most of the time! good to hear someone does make them, tho! i just couldn't imagine the stink! i told him i would not make them in the house...definitely in the garage!:tongue2:

Just a quick note....

If anyone is going to be making these or the incense and your hubby or wife hunts.. Please have them do a sniff test of what ever bucklure scent you buy. The scent has to smell exactly like the Real thing. If it doesn't, It will spook the deer away....

Buck only react to the real deal...

These candles and incense spook the doe right now, because it's not natural right now. Because they are not in heat...

Our friend thought he was going to try 1 out now. Well he found out that it was a no no for now. lol

Plus, yes burning a candle in the outdoors around all the leaves and such can be dangerous. I always state to use these on top of a rock or in the dirt only...

I have a customer that just loves my blueberry muffin candles. He has one sitting on his desk that he never lights but leaves open. He works with my dh and dh told me that all you can smell is this darn unburned blueberry muffin candle. Last month I sold the guy several of my blueberry muffin candles. Apparently he had spent the summer tracking bears in anticipation of bear hunting season. During his tracking he noticed that when the bears pooped, it was full of blueberries. This got him to thinking. He took those darn candles out to the woods and sat in a tree and just waited. He said it wasn't long until several bears came looking for the "smell." He got an 8 foot, 600+ bear with his bow. While I am happy for him, I feel bad that my candles lured that poor bear in and helped in getting him killed. :cry2: Needless to say, the guy now swears by my blueberry muffin candles. So I guess it isn't just the scent of deer urine that an be useful to hunters. Who knew??

Here in Alabama the only thing men love more then deer hunting is football :) I would love to make these for my hubby and his 6 brothers, I think deer rut comes in Dec and Jan? I could be wrong about the time of year but these would make great but stinky gifts for hunters. Any special tips besides letting an advid hunter take a sniff before making candles?