Recording tests in a log book?

Hello!

I have been making candles for about a month now, and I LOVE IT! :D I have been logging every test I have done in a notebook, but I wondered how some of you keep track of what you do so that you can use it for reference in the future. Do you just jot some things down, or do you have a log sheet form that you use? Thanks in advance!

Mary <>< :wink2:

I do the same as Breanna does.

I have a big notebook, on the top of the page I write the date, the type of candle, then I list all things I used to make that candle and results, notes.

I do the same for every customer request I get. So when someone says "oh I bough that gorgeus :D candle made so and so" I can find easily the recipe.

Though I'm a computer addict I prefer write on a note book. It's fast, and it's always with me on the table while I pour.

This is where Microsoft Excel, or MS Spreadsheet would come in handy...LOL...

You could even use MS Word Processer if you wanted to deticate each page to a speific Candle and/or Product...

Just save it on to a Flash-drive; in the case of Computer-issues...LOL...

I use an Excel Spreadsheet to keep all my notes. Making a detailed record of how I made each batch is important in case I want to repeat something (or avoid repeating something bad, as the case may be).

I also have a spreadsheet of all my supply inventory.

Gen Wax has a couple of testing sheets that you can print out on their website. I used theirs until I figured out what I wanted to record and then created my own excel spreadsheet. Now I don't have a mess of paper to go through and I can sort it any which way I want.

I write what wax,wick,FO,temp, additives (if any) and everything I have done to make this candle,,It is literally like a Journal,,I write it ALL down no matter how small it is,,,HTH,,:D It is my Most important book I own:D

Just adding to say: I work on my computer a lot and yes it is great to keep your work on it and then you need to back it up with disks, However I have known some people that have had their computers crash and then all is lost because they didnt write it down on paper. JMHO. OOPPSSS meant to edit my first post, SORRY

I have a notebook I keep in my workroom to jot everything down. I have a different one close to my dyes that's smaller that I use to write down how many drops of what I used to get such and such color. Thank goodness I did that too, many a banana nut bread stuff would have been bright yellow or orange had I not done that lol.

I found it hard to look for the candle info I wrote down in my notebook, I am still in the testing stage of many jars, wickless, and scents. I started writing all the info on a notecard and when I test, I just pull the card (alphabetical by scent for me) and have it handy for testing info. I store them in a recipe box have. It works for me and its all in one place.

It is true that computers crash all the time. My solution to this: marry a physicist that specializes in computer simulations! He has set up a network in our house where all computers (we have around 5) are actually terminals that log into a server. This server is instantaneously backed up to a second server. I also have one of those large capacity external hard drives which I copy all my important stuff to (candle notes are definitley "important" to me) and keep off-site.

Okay, okay, this is a little overboard! An old fashioned piece of paper works fine! The important thing is to take detailed notes that you can look at and understand later.

I have tester sheets that I found that someone had printed out with a bunch of info. on it. It is actually called the Candle Test Sheet and I just save each one that was sucessful in a binder. But once you know which wax and stick with it as well as a wick and scent. I hardly refer back to it. I just do it the same each time.:D

I found it hard to look for the candle info I wrote down in my notebook, I am still in the testing stage of many jars, wickless, and scents. I started writing all the info on a notecard and when I test, I just pull the card (alphabetical by scent for me) and have it handy for testing info. I store them in a recipe box have. It works for me and its all in one place.[/quo

Same here, I use the different colored cards for different waxes & keep in a recipe card holder.