Wicking Pillars

I've never used wicking pins for making pillars before but just wanted to know what advantages and disadvantages there are with using them. After observing the class last night that Scented did makes me think they would be much easier than what I'm doing just now. Any input on this would be hugely appreciated folks :)

Many thanks

Sarah

I have used both and personal choice I prefer the old fashion way. More because I like to twist my wicks and I personally hate dealing with the putty I think it is messy and a royal pain. I use metal tape to seal my molds. If you try to put the pins on the inside it leaves a ring on the top that I do not like.

See I prefer the pins because the rod that the wicking gets tied to gets in my way ;) and I have less leakage. In fact the only leaking I have is if I bump the pin.

The disadvantage? The pillars have to be wicked. In some instances, the mold seal has to be removed.

I just got some from our facilities guy here at work. It really is metal foil tape!!! It has a backing - unlike duct tape. You cut it with regular scissors.

Oh, and as I discovered last night - duct tape doesn't cut the mustard! But I snuck home at lunch to pour another candle (I'm NOT obsessed!!!) using the metal tape - NO LEAKING!!!

I must be wierd cause I do not remove the mold sealer:confused: . sometimes it sticks to the molds and sometimes the wick pins. I just heatgun the molds to clean them out then set them back on the wick pins and push them down to seal again. After a few months, it does start to get hard if the molds haven't been used for a while then I replace it.

I like the wick pins the best. I feel the candle is more centered...or at least for me. We don't use the putty any more. It was too messy. We put metal tape on bottom and we have no leaks.:thumbsup:

I agree it's just a personal preference.

I must be wierd cause I do not remove the mold sealer:confused: . sometimes it sticks to the molds and sometimes the wick pins. I just heatgun the molds to clean them out then set them back on the wick pins and push them down to seal again. After a few months, it does start to get hard if the molds haven't been used for a while then I replace it.

I think they mean that sometimes a little will get in the wick hole at the top of the candle. But I've been wrong before lol.