What does Everyone think?

DonC

:confused: My wife and I, both in our 50s, have been making candles for years but have never sold them. Just for our own use and for gifts, etc. That said....

We have decided to start selling our craft, only with a "twist" if you will. A good freind of my wife's owns a spa/salon and suggested we make candles for her to sell in her shop. That gave us the idea to make candles and to sell them exclusively to spas & salons in our small state in the northeast. We have done some checking with a number of "high end" spas and they like the idea. We plan to use scents that are known to relax and sooth and might even mix "special" scents that would be unique to each shop. I also found a company that has "coconut" shells for use as containers and thought that would be a GREAT idea.

I thought I would ask all of you "PROS" what you think of the idea. Your input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance...........

Don & Donna

I purchased a bunch with little stands to make coconut, pineapple, and the combo candles when I first started. A lot of them don't really stand straight so the candles are not even. Many, many of them leaked. I suppose you could seal them with something before pouring, but the holes I found were pretty big! They also were not a big seller...after all that work!! I tried putting them in a neighborhood yard sale we had this past spring and none of the coconut shells sold! I live at the beach, they should have been a big hit here. For the spas here, we use soy wax, essential oils and frosted glass tumblers that hold approx 6.5 oz of wax. Our labels are very simple/sophisticated and we never dye the candles for spas. A couple have their own custom labels that we put on the candles with our info on the caution label. We sell to the spa for $6-$7 each wholesale (if they buy enough) and they turn around and sell them for $22-$24. HTH

Hi, Don & Donna! I bought some of the coconut shells for the candles. I put 3 coats of modge podge on them before pouring, though. I never had a problem with test burns and completely burned out the wax to the empty shell using soy and 2 wicks.

I only have a very small customer base at this point--post-retirement career here. I don't know if I'll sell these or not since one of the grocery stores has them for $4! Same shells, etc, made by someone one state above.

Thanks Supa Star.......I should have mentioned that we will be using only soy wax and the best lead free wicks we can find. The supplier of the shells suggested using foil before pouring, but I was thinking that would look really tacky once the candle had been burning for a while. I just ordered the shells yesterday and when I get them, I'll let you know how I make out..........

High end spa in a coconut shell? Ummm that doesn't come across as high end to me.

A coconut shell can be flammable as well. While most things can be, what about a thick-glassed tumbler, maybe even frosted, maybe not. Could try it out wickless too and see how they work on a warmer.

Thanks Supa Star.......I should have mentioned that we will be using only soy wax and the best lead free wicks we can find. The supplier of the shells suggested using foil before pouring, but I was thinking that would look really tacky once the candle had been burning for a while. I just ordered the shells yesterday and when I get them, I'll let you know how I make out..........

Don, where did you get your shells from?

High end spa in a coconut shell? Ummm that doesn't come across as high end to me.

A coconut shell can be flammable as well. While most things can be, what about a thick-glassed tumbler, maybe even frosted, maybe not. Could try it out wickless too and see how they work on a warmer.

This makes more sense to me. I prefer a cool fruity drink with a straw in my coconut shell (smile) Donita

Salons and spas are great!! I'll be the one to put it out there. :o Obviously, our largest customer base is with the ladies. Who most often frequents the salons and spas?.... Ladies!(sorry guys, but we are outnumbered there:sad2: )

When we were in the retail business, we sold out of 5 hair and nail salons in our area. It was the largest part of our business. We sold on a consignment type system. We collected the money and restocked product once a week.

We sold glass jar candles, and pottery candles. The glass jars sold much better. I agree that coconut shells will probably take away from the high end appeal of your product. However, they would work in the summer for a beach theme, or like was mentioned, in tanning salons. Keep in mind that specialty containers often limit your scent list. Not much demand for a blueberry candle in a coconut shell. Hope this helps

Ray

• 3 weeks later...