sneezing, stuffy & candles

mkpk

I hope I don't sound too stupid...but I have noticed that when I pour lots (for me, a novice), of candles during the day, by 9 pm, all I do is sneeze, snuffle, and blow my nose. I have notice this more when I pour more candles, but I can't outweigh the elements (pollen, dust, bugs...I live in the South, on the coast). I never had allergies before, but doctors say you can get - adult allergies - what that means, I don't know. All I do know is I CAN NOT breath threw my nose and I'm sick of blowing it ALL NIGHT LONG! So, seriously, can pouring candles affect this or do I really need to take that painful allergy test I have been recommended. TIA

I have allergies and after I pour, especially the stronger fo's, I sneeze...sniffle and blow my nose a hundred times! Sometimes it even happens when I burn paraffin candles, fo in soy doesn't affect me once it's cured if it is wicked, but on a warmer it does! You may just be sensitive to the fo. If you never experienced it before candles, most likely it's either the wax or the fo causing it. I've determined it's mostly the fo that causes my symptoms. Benedryl is my best friend!

It's not uncommon to get symptoms from breathing a lot of FO fumes. Sneezing, sniffles, bronchitis, headaches to name a few. If you're pouring in your house, don't sleep near cooling candles. Try to improve the ventilation in your work areas, maybe with an exhaust fan. If necessary, get a respirator with organic vapor cartridges.

I totally sympathize with you. Mine is headaches and stuffiness. I've been pouring almost non stop each day for the past two weeks until this past Saturday. I took a break and cleaned all day, lol. No headache or stuffiness. Yesterday I poured 3 dozen jelly jars in five different scents and by the time I got to carrot cake, I wanted to lay down and die for a while. I'm pouring lots of spicy stuff for craft shows right now. I think that irritates it....and what a shame, because red hot cinnamon is my favorite. Right now I am trying out my new loaf molds. One is 3 wick and the other is 5 wick. I did both of those in harvest. Yep, you guessed it! HEADACHE!

My advice....take a 2-3 day break. Do not pour, sniff, or burn candles. If your symptoms clear, you have your answer. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

I used to get symptoms of strep throat after pouring all weekend. Fortunately I have moved out into my own shop now and feel much much better. I keep the big door open and let the fresh air in. Everyone in the neighborhood knows when I am pouring though...lol.

I personally can't use scented candles, let alone make them. If you constantly have problems while making them, you should maybe look into any possible long term effects. It can't be good for you to constantly subject yourself to that sort of torture.

The scents that bother me I use a filter mask over my nose and mouth (like surgical ones only thicker) lol. and also have to do this to mow yard too... and sometimes have been known to even put vicks salve under my nose to drown out the "offending" scent as some of them do give me MIGRAINES!

Hope this gives you some alternatives to help ya out...

Jenni

Guest Candelishis

I have had really bad allergies since I was a kid, and I'm also really sensitive to the medicines that help them. Benadryl is not my friend...it puts me to sleep! Sudaphed is also not my friend...it has the opposite effect on me and I get really jittery. I tend to limit my inventory to "foody" and fruity smells, and the most flowery thing I carry is plumeria, and I have to be careful around that. The foody and fruity stuff doesn't bother me as much as the flowery. Me walking into bath n body or the potpourri section anywhere is BAD BAD BAD...it's like instant pepper in the sniffer!!

Thanks for all your input. I didn't pour today, but I did light some candles (before reading this). Tomorrow I will use all the will power I possess to NOT burn or pour any candles...my husband and kids will really think I'm sick (or just plain crazy!). I never really thought about the wax or scents affecting my health - stupid me! It is finally cooling off here, so at least I can start opening the windows. The mask is another good idea, but I sure will miss the yummy smells. At least I have lots of options before going to the doc., which always is my last resort. I wonder how many people have these same issues, probably more than I thought. So thanks again, I wasn't sure if I was just over-reacting. Happy and healthy candle making to all!!!

You may find that ventilation is all you were needing. If you want more protection, keep in mind you'll need something that's designed to filter fumes rather than dust. A dust mask won't do anything. There may be painter's masks that help with the fumes, but I've never tried those so I'm not sure how well they work. Could be worth a try. A respirator with the type of cartridge I mentioned is cumbersome to wear but extremely effective. Once you put it on you don't smell a thing. Hope you feel better.

I agree with Top, I use the respirator with the goggles I use when mixing lye, when making a lot of candles. A crack in the window or a fan blowing out is helpful. I keep the door closed and get out of there as often as possible. I always open up everything in the house for 10 to 15 mins when I am done.