One of THE MOST awesome candles ive ever seen!!

Hi Lynn,

I'd be happy to help.

You can try: http://www.candlethings.com/GlassEmbeds.html

Or: http://www.silkytyme.com/embeds.html

Another place where I picked up some fishes and flowers was: http://www.orientaltrading.com/

These were some of my favorite haunts for embeds and decorations.

All sorts of stuff to get your creative imagination going

Some of the items at Oriental Trading are a Fimo Clay, that is acceptable also. You would never put anything that couldn't stand up to the heat, and the FO...FO will melt plastic. Do a web search for Forever Candles...that may give you some ideas as well and will lead you to some of the gel candle sites for lots of pics and ideas.

You can use glass beads or sea glass - I saw some at Wal-Mart - I wouldn't try to use sand.

Wal-Mart has the fishy bowls...not too big...perfect size. They were in the candle glass section. I wish I could tell you what I paid for them, I just checked, no prices on them.

I am going to give it a try tomorrow. Wish me luck! eeekkk new project!

I am sure that you will enjoy.

If you have any problems or questions, I'm here!

Good Luck!

I just remembered, Oriental Trading has tons of little shells! Waaay cheaper than any of the embed sites, and star fish, and sea urchins...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Fern and Vicky.This candlemaking can get so overwhelming for all to know and remember but once you start it is easy.I had someone just before I started making candles if I could do the pillars with pics.Well its been 2 years and not there yet.More new things come up.I was told how to do it by some candle company I get some supplies from but with the wickless and NOW these embeds the pillars will be on hold.

LynnS

I couldn't help but notice that you're talking about my candle. Thank you for all of the nice compliments. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so it's nice that you like my idea enough to want to try it. I just want to say though, that it is not as easy as it looks. When I first thought of the idea, I thought it would be a simple as putting objects into a wickless soy candle. I soon found out that is not true. Many things that work with gel candles, don't work with wickless scene candles. I ran into all kinds of problems: poor clarity of certain types of soy wax, improper sized/shaped jars that impeded melt time, how to adhere the embeds, embeds that weren't compatible. I did over six months of testing on my Appearing Scene candle - making many different versions and melting them over and over and over. It was some pretty extensive R&D. After that, I even considered patenting the idea, but as every experienced crafter knows, that would be like throwing money down the toilet. A small company could never afford to enforce a patent like that. I also make sure that every consumer understands how to properly melt one. It's very important that they fully melt the candle every time. Partially melting a wickless soy candle, and allowing it to reharden, makes it slower to melt on sucessive melts. It can also cause the wax to develop particles that just won't melt at all. I don't know why this is, but it's true. It's just another one of those "special" qualities of soy wax;) While this might not matter with a regular wickless candle, it's an issue with scene candles, because the object is to fully reveal the scene each time it is melted. Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not telling anyone that they can't make a wickless scene candle. Crafters "borrow" ideas from each other all the time, and that's just part of the business. As candle makers though, you can all understand the importance of a properly made candle. We've all had the experience where a customer will say they bought a candle from someone else, and it smoked or burnt badly, and now they think all candles are like that. We constantly have to convince our customers that our candles are good because they are handmade with extreme attention to quality. It is in our own best interests to help each other make a superior product to protect the integrity of all homemade candles. So, if you are going to make a wickless scene candle, I'm just asking that you thoroughly test it, and not sell a hastily made one that doesn't melt right.

Thanks again for the nice things everyone said about my idea. I am really hoping that it gains popularity and becomes better known. I think they are just great. Everyone should have one (or several). Oh wouldn't THAT be awesome:cheesy2:

Margie

Well, I was going to post that I tried making the candle....clarity.....big problem.

The scene was great, I really thought that I had done a good job.

Also, suffice to say, I think I am going to ditch the 'color' idea. At least until I get the clarity issue resolved. I am experimenting, and enjoying the challenge.

It is a great idea, and I love the candles. I have so many embeds and ideas.

Oh, well, like anything else, one step at a time.

I think that it is a true testament to Margie that she stuck with it, and has produced something so beautiful and unique, that people want to follow in her footsteps. It is true, practice makes perfect.

I promise to heed her advice and not embarass her, or others in our soy community, I will do it right, and make it safe, or not at all.

Thank you, Margie.

Thank you everyone for the kind responses. I didn't want to ruffle any feathers, because everyone on this board has been so nice and helpful.

Fern-Marie, just keep trying. I'm sure you have some really creative embed ideas. As far as color goes, you have to keep it VERY minimal in order to not effect clarity. What worked for me was to make a color block using soy wax and liquid dye. Then I could use little shavings of that to give the melted was some color. One drop of liquid dye was just way too much. Selection of soy wax is really important too. Use the whitest wax you can find. I got a batch of yellowed wax from a supplier once, and I couldn't even use it for my appearing scene wickless candles.

Good luck in your testing,

Margie

Margie,

These are ABS:bow:LUTELY the neatest wickless idea I have EVER seen. Would you share with me (us) if silicone is what you use to keep your embeds glued to the bottom? I would think this is a challenge as people use all differ types of warmers.

Ruffle feathers?? I completely understand where your coming from as it could effect your sales if its imitated and done wr:mad:ng.

JUST BEAUTIFUL :wink2:

Margie,

These are ABS:bow:LUTELY the neatest wickless idea I have EVER seen. Would you share with me (us) if silicone is what you use to keep your embeds glued to the bottom? I would think this is a challenge as people use all differ types of warmers.

Ruffle feathers?? I completely understand where your coming from as it could effect your sales if its imitated and done wr:mad:ng.

JUST BEAUTIFUL :wink2:

I haven't tried silicone. It was on my lenthy list of glues to try, but I found another one that worked before I got to it. It's an adhesive that works specifically with glass, and is waterproof. Household Cement. It cures hard, like glass. You must have adequate ventilation, and allow it to fully cure. Will it hold for years? That I can't say for sure, and for that reason, I try to use adhesive as little as possible. Instead, I have searched for embeds that stand on their own, such as fish on glass bases, etc. Ideally, I would like to have the embeds custom made, so that no adhesives are required at all. That is something I will look into as my business grows.

WHat a cute idea!

For those that may need them, I wrote some detailed instructions on how to use the regular size tube of silicone and a caulk gun. Hope it's helpful to someone, who shall remain nameless.:D:laugh2:

Ehemmm. Just wanted you to know that I successfully wicked an entire case of glassware this morning...so far no mishaps (with the glue)... I am darn near a pro with this gadget.

But, just in case....:tiptoe:

Thanks for the info! ;)

soygirl aren't you afraid that if it gets moved and the embed falls over in the wax that someone will inevitably stick their hand in it to fix it? There's always one that will despite the hot wax don't move warnings.

I did consider that, and this is my reasoning: There are some risks associated with all candles and even wickless candles. Anyone who has ever asked about moving the embeds, I recommend to use a wooden skewer, popsicle stick, or something like that. I know that on the warmers I sell, the wax just doesn't get hot enough to cause a burn, even if you do stick your hand in the wax. If a person were to use a coffee mug warmer, instead of a candle warmer, the wax would get hotter. In that case, a bigger risk may be of the glass jar shattering after repeated use at higher temps. But in that case, there is no negligence on my part. You simply aren't supposed to melt a candle on a coffee cup warmer, just like your aren't supposed to stick knives in toasters. The consumer has to maintain some personal responsibility to safety. My wickless candles are as safe or safer than any wickless candle on the market. I include a thorough list of warnings and recommendations with all the candles I sell. I also carry product liability coverage, which is just a good idea for any business IMO.

• 1 month later...
Well, I know this is an old post but was just reading through some and found this. Those are sooooo neat!! My question is though, how do you get the fish to stay in the middle of the candle?

Laura :)

I found a fish on a glass base - it is actually attached to the top of a piece of glass "seaweed". The whole thing is one glass embed. So, it's not really swimming, but it looks like it is.

There are so many cool glass embeds available out there. I'll clue you all in on my two favorite distributors:

http://www.gelembeds.com/

http://www.silkytyme.com/embeds.html

I recommend them both for service, price and selection.

Thanks so much for all the awesome compliments from everyone. You made my day:D