I tested every single fo I have for hot throw

Let me try to clarify....although, I think I may have said this already....What impressed me with the oils was how quickly they filled up their small spaces with scent....within a matter of minutes.

So, perhaps, what impressed me was not actually "throw" but the strength of these particular scents.

Some scents are subtle (Sage & Citrus, Seventh Heaven )and no matter how large the candle or how well they throw, they will always be subtle....IMO- these type scents make beautiful candles for smaller spaces where their scent wont get lost in the atmosphere.

Some scents are powerful (Mango Sorbetto, Red Currant ) and make their presence known and IMO-these type scents are perfect for large, open spaces because they need room to spread out.

I hope this clears things up.

I try to post as much info as I can in order to be helpful.

Eve

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so is this just a thing with paraffin...wick up if the hot throw is not great? I always wicked down cause I thought the hotter the wick the more of the FO it was "burning off". Im gonna try that........let me make sure I understand............(i am using soy) ....if you have a candle that the HT is not the greatest, try wicking UP , therefore a hotter flame?

Every one kept saying/writing that they liked the zincs with the 4627 comfort blend wax.

Ummm, not everyone. I wouldn't dream of using zincs in comfort blend.

And at 10%, if you plan to sell, I'd hate to think what you're going to have to charge to make a profit.

In the summer, if your candles get very warm, you will likely have sludge. I know the specs say cb can hold 12%. I've had seepage at 9% in wickless. I typically use 9% fo in wickless, 8% with wicks.

I also question your nose. Some of the ones you listed have pretty much zero throw, in or out of candles. But if they work for you, go for it!

Oh, Jeez. I just noticed this thread is from 2007. Good Grief!

Edited by SliverOfWax
typo

so is this just a thing with paraffin...wick up if the hot throw is not great? I always wicked down cause I thought the hotter the wick the more of the FO it was "burning off". Im gonna try that........let me make sure I understand............(i am using soy) ....if you have a candle that the HT is not the greatest, try wicking UP , therefore a hotter flame?

not necessarily..wick up or wick down - could be UP with some FOs and down with others - that's what testing is all about.

Ya know, I should have known since the OP was talking about FOH and F by D. It just went right over my head and I concentrated on the CB and zinc.

So let's make sure we've covered our bases:

The FO formulas have most likely changed.

The wax has most likely changed.

The wicks have probably changed.

And....now for the biggie: Half the suppliers have gone OUT OF BUSINESS!

Too damned funny!

And after reading the OP again, I agree with top. It's not possible for all those FOs to rate excellent. Plus I know for a fact that some of them rate a big fat zero in comfort blend.

Edited by SliverOfWax

Please don't take this as any offense....

Is that how everyone test their candles, in small bedrooms and bathrooms?

And are people burning the candle completely? I am and maybe that is why it takes me forever.

I test mine in the middle of my living room and to me a great throw would be if I can get close to my bedroom door and smell it (from the inside of my room that is). My upstairs is over 2000 sq ft. With high ceilings

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

This is just a general question not a stab at the poster.

I test mine at work(cant say exactly where I work) but where we get many unpleasant and stinky people.:laugh2: The candle stays up front and its a rather large area. I judge how far the aroma carries down a long hallway(200 yrds or longer). So I dont think your wrong. I live in a somewhat small house and if the candle does not throw throughout the entire house I dont use that fo at all.

Edited by Jewls819

Well, I think this is great. Whether the test met everyone's satisfaction or not, it is a test and it is more information than most here are willing to share.

Thanks for doing that. I very much appreciate the information.

Edited by EricofAZ