I tested every single fo I have for hot throw

Well, I did it.

I tested every single fragrance oil I have (about 60 scents). All, but three had either excellent or very good hot throw.

I had to come up with some sort of method because I didn't like the prospect of making batches of 3 or 4 candles before I tested for throw.

Here's what I used. Igi 4627, 10% fo, low smoke zinc wick (#31), small 3 oz jars (2" diameter).

Here's what I did. I weighed out appx 1 ounce wax in the small containers. I placed the containers in a shallow pot of water to melt the wax. When wax was completely melted, I waited another minute or two. I then added .1 oz fo and mixed with a small latte mixer. http://www.amazon.com/Aerolatte-002-To-Go-Black/dp/B0001RT2C4

I then did the best I could to center the wick. I wasn't really concerned with melt pool so much as I was with scent throw. If I know it can throw, then I can work on melt pool, etc. I waited for the tester candles to cool. I did not cure as I use paraffin.

I then proceded to test/burn each candle in small bedrooms or bathrooms. I checked after 15 min. If room was filled with scent, then I called this excellent throw. If room was not filled with scent, I checked again at 30 min. If room was then filled with scent, I called this very good throw. If room was not filled with scent, then I remade the candle with a larger (hotter) wick. I used either rrd 47 or eco 8 as these were the only ones I had. I then checked the new wick/wax combo at 15 minutes and 30 minutes, again calling the candles either excellent or very good throwers, respectively.

I'm listing my results, for anyone interested.

FOH

Amber Blush............had to wick up....excellent throw

Apple Cobbler..........excellent throw

Bamboo Sug................excellent throw

Carib Fruit Smooth........excellent throw

Coco Beach..............very good throw

Creme Brulee.............excellent throw

Euc Spearmint.............excellent throw

Indo Teak...............excellent throw

Jap Pear Ginseng.........excellent throw

Madagascar Van Orchid........excellent throw

Medi Fig..........................excellent throw

Moonlight Path..............tried all wicks, could not get any hot throw.????

Orange Bundt Cake............excellent throw

Rasp Gauva............had to wick up .........very good throw

Red Curr Thyme Tea..........very good throw

Rocky Mt................excellent throw

Sens Secrets............had to wick up.......very good throw

TAhittian Vanilla........had to wick up........excellent throw

Tuscan Herb.........excellent throw

Yuzu..................excellent throw

Fragrance By Design

Lime Basil Mandarin........had to wick up......very good throw(light scent)

Nectarine Honey Blossom...........had to wick up.......very good throw

AH/RE

Angel Food Cake............excellent throw

Avalanche..............excellent throw

Cashmere Lace...........excellent throw

Celtic Moonspce...........excellent throw

Oakmoss Sage............very good throw

White Jasmine............very good throw(light scent)

Almost Paradise..........very good throw

Moonlight Path..........couldn't get any hot throw????/

Hot Apple Pie.........excellent throw

Seventh Heaven..........had to wick up, then ....fair throw(light scent)

Strw Rhubarb.........excellent throw

Watermelon............excellent throw

Twigs Berries..........excellent throw

Little Black Dress...........excellent throw

Van Wafers.........very good throw (light scent)

Tonys

Oakmoss............had to wick up, then........excellent

Jo Malone.........excellent

Red Currant (votivo).........excellent

Honeysuckle grapefruit..........excellent

Moonlight Path....Not a perfect Dupe....but ......very good throw(no need to wick up)

WSP

Mango Sorbetto..........excellent throw

Fig Cassis...............excellent

Cucumb Mint..........excellent

Sage Citrus.........had to wick up....then very good throw

Cherry Almond.........excellent

Nantucket Briar...........very good

CandleScience

Banana Nut Bread.............excellent

Cuc Melon.......had to wick up....then excellent

Hansel Gretel............excellent

Honeysuckle Jasmine..........excellent

Frankinsence Mhyrr.........excellent

Daystar's Black Vet Cafe.........had to wick up, then very good throw

Horton's (Ebay)

Pink Sugar..................excellent

Coconut.................excellent

I was so happy that all my oils had great thow. I mean these were some small candles (one ouncers) and yet they still filled up small rooms with scent. The only two that I wasn't happy with throw were Moonlight Path and Seventh Heaven. These two happen to be a couple of my favorite scents, so I will continue to make tarts with them.

Every one kept saying/writing that they liked the zincs with the 4627 comfort blend wax. My results seemed to fall in line with this.

It was really alot of fun, testing this way.

I now have all my candlescience samplers to try out as well as the FOH prebuy holiday scents...so I guess it's gonna be another busy weekend!

Eve :P

Don't take this badly, because I know you did a lot of work, but here is my reaction based on my own experience and testing.

This percentage of FOs rating very good to excellent isn't plausible. There just aren't so many that deserve that kind of rating. FOs I've found with really excellent throw will work at 3%. It's a definite minority. FOs that throw at 6% or less is a wider field but also good stuff.

Unfortunately all of those are getting lost in the soup. At 10% in 4627 in a small room, practically any FO will work. But you want to know which ones you can use less of because in many cases you'll be able to get a much better burn. Plus you don't want to use 50% more or even twice as much as you need because it's money down the drain.

The two scents that didn't throw for me (moonlight path, seventh heaven), I

did try at lower %...about 8%, than 6% fo ....and still....nothing...I had no

luck with those two....it's sad bec they are great scents...maybe they cant work in igi 4627?

eve

Wow girl! You've been busy! I wish I had those 2 fo's to try out for you.....Could it possibly be the fo itself? As in maybe try a different supplier? Just thinking...........maybe I should pour some candles today! Nah..........too darn HOT!:P

Actually, the I have 3 Moonlight Paths from 3 diff suppliers. Two smell identical (AH/RE and FOH) and are dead on dupes to the BBW version....and they are two that I can't get to throw. I have another Moonlight Path from Tony's...it's not a dead on dupe...but it does throw.

The actual BBW Moonlight path candle itself is a poor thrower...one large 17 oz candle struggles to fill a bedroom....

Maybe it's just the nature of this oil?

I will still use the oil...just not in candles....I will make tarts with it because it is a beautiful fragrance (IMO).

Eve

Please don't take this as any offense....

Is that how everyone test their candles, in small bedrooms and bathrooms?

And are people burning the candle completely? I am and maybe that is why it takes me forever.

I test mine in the middle of my living room and to me a great throw would be if I can get close to my bedroom door and smell it (from the inside of my room that is). My upstairs is over 2000 sq ft. With high ceilings

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

This is just a general question not a stab at the poster.

Please don't take this as any offense....

Is that how everyone test their candles, in small bedrooms and bathrooms?

And are people burning the candle completely? I am and maybe that is why it takes me forever.

I test mine in the middle of my living room and to me a great throw would be if I can get close to my bedroom door and smell it (from the inside of my room that is). My upstairs is over 2000 sq ft. With high ceilings

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

This is just a general question not a stab at the poster.

My whole house is about 1/2 that big so I couldn't test for something that big if I wanted to. Let me know what scents work for you cause they would be killer scents for me.

Bizzyb,

I test almost the same way. After I make the candle, I let it cure for a couple days, (comfort blend) I light it in the middle of my living room. My living room is in the center of the house with 8 foot cathedral ceilings and is almost 500 sq. ft. If I can smell it when I walk in the front door or in my master bath, then I consider that an excellent throw. I also test for sometimes weeks at a time, I want to burn it down to the 1/2 in. left in the container to make sure I have the same throw at the end, that I had in the beginning so I know the wick is not absorbing all the FO. I also want to make sure it doesn't soot as well. Anyway, not sure if it's the right way to do things, I just think it works for me. :grin2:

These candles that I made were extremely tiny.....1 oz wax/.1 oz fo in tiny containers appx 1.5" diameter and therefore I tested in small quarters....what impressed me with the oils was how fast they filled their respective rooms, ie, 15 min or 30 min. I wanted to test a large number of oils with the wax/wick combo without using a ton of wax. In my very limited experience, a tiny candle that can fill a small room with scent in appx 15 min has "killer" throw.

PS---I just finished testing 12 New Candlescience oils, as well as six new FOH oils. Since my method of testing is so below par, I will not post results. However, anyone interested in knowing what I thought, can PM me and I will let you know how the oils did.

Eve

Hey eve,

That is so cool! I am sooo very grateful for your list. The ironic thing is that I was going to order some moonlite path, now I'm glad I didn't; since I use the comfort blend as well. I think if this method works for you girl, then stick with it. Just wanted to add some of my testing techniques. I think you are doing an awesome job, and I appreciate the information :grin2: .

Shari

My whole house is about 1/2 that big so I couldn't test for something that big if I wanted to. Let me know what scents work for you cause they would be killer scents for me.

Right now I am testing scents with my own blend....and we just bought this house in March.

Pink Sugar/Indonesian teak - DH loves the blend...it has to grow on me...

Black Cherry

Sultry Angel

Buttercream Crunch (WYW - bittercreek)

Linen-n-Lace

My Strawberry/Mango/Coconut Blend

Mystify (a secret blend - lol)

That is all I can think of for now - will have to check when I get home.

I do know that Cantalope Lily from ICS threw very well in my basement to - which is the same size (our house is a ranch)....it was in my son's room and I smelled it when i came down the stairs way on the other end of the basement. But he burns my messed up candles....so I still need to test that in my current blend.

FYI....I use different %s on my FOs....they are used 4%-6% for the ones listed above.

These candles that I made were extremely tiny.....1 oz wax/.1 oz fo in tiny containers appx 1.5" diameter and therefore I tested in small quarters....what impressed me with the oils was how fast they filled their respective rooms, ie, 15 min or 30 min. I wanted to test a large number of oils with the wax/wick combo without using a ton of wax. In my very limited experience, a tiny candle that can fill a small room with scent in appx 15 min has "killer" throw.

PS---I just finished testing 12 New Candlescience oils, as well as six new FOH oils. Since my method of testing is so below par, I will not post results. However, anyone interested in knowing what I thought, can PM me and I will let you know how the oils did.

Eve

Thank you for clarifying the size....I was freaking out thinking all these years and all these hours wasted testing....lmao.

:grin2:

Thanks so much, that is some great information!

I have used 2 suppliers versions of Moonlight Path. The first was Peak, and it was wicked hard for me to wick properly, but it threw, just burned like crap!

Now I use Farmhouse's oil, and I think it is a close enough dupe without being able to sniff the real deal and the oil side-by-side...THIS oil is MUCH easier to wick, and I always get a killer throw in my 50/50 blend w/ it. 9%. I have a die-hard MP fan for a customer, and she loves it, so I guess it's cool!

HTH, and thanks again!! :grin2:

Hey Miss Sharon in Pa,

I'm glad to hear that you got a good throw with it. Maybe I will try it with this 4627. If I can't get it to throw in that, then I will try it with this 6028 parasoy pillar blend I've been messing around with.

Wish I was you, aren't you close to quakertown where C&S are? My family is about an hour and 20 min. north of there. When we went to visit this year, made the hubby drive me down there. I get alot of stuff from them, but it sucks to have it shipped to KY. Just glad to see another yankee I guess as everyone in KY feels the need to remind me. LOL :grin2: .

Thanks again,

Shari

Eve....I test basically the same way you do and have for 10 yrs and it works out great...start in a small area and work your way out to the bigger areas. Nothing wrong with that.

Everyone has to do what works for them...and what works for us may not work for someone else but that definitely doesn't mean it's wrong.

Keep up the good work...I enjoyed your helpful review and appreciate the time and effort you put into testing and posting your results. There are a lot of people who aren't that giving!

Thanks for sharing!

I never said she was wrong -that is why I put the disclaimer that it was not a stab at the poster.

I just wanted to make sure what I was doing was okay because that confused me - then she clarified the size of the candle....which for my 1 and 2 oz sizes I do put those in a bathroom to start with. But those are special orders only not my regular sizes.

That is how I judge a throw also. This is JMO and based on the people I sell to so others may have different customer needs. Most of my customers use their candles in large spaces and not just small rooms. Whenever they consider a candle to have GREAT throw it is one that will have good throw in larger areas. I also have high ceilings so I will test with the ceiling fan on low and tell my customers that have high ceilings to do the same. That is what works for me, it may be different for others. Scent throw has so much to do with each individual persons sense of smell. What one considers GREAT is mild to someone else. I have to say that I agree with the comment TOP posted about a good throw being achieved at a lower %. Once again that's just my opinion.

You have certainly been very busy with all of those FO's!

Hey Miss Sharon in Pa,

I'm glad to hear that you got a good throw with it. Maybe I will try it with this 4627. If I can't get it to throw in that, then I will try it with this 6028 parasoy pillar blend I've been messing around with.

Wish I was you, aren't you close to quakertown where C&S are? My family is about an hour and 20 min. north of there. When we went to visit this year, made the hubby drive me down there. I get alot of stuff from them, but it sucks to have it shipped to KY. Just glad to see another yankee I guess as everyone in KY feels the need to remind me. LOL :grin2: .

Thanks again,

Shari

Hey Shari! I AM very close to C&S, but I am using less and less from them... Let me know if you found any recent winners with C&S oils! I haven't tried any in so long, and I would love to know if any one's having any success with some of her new ones!

Thanks!!!!