24 Inch Pillar??

Brucecarveswax made a huge one, if I recall correctly, made out of pvc pipe - that sucker was big - can't remember quite how big, though. But that may be an option for you.

I used one of my dip tank vats to make it... I didnt even remember making it lol

I think a saw some real big ones on trishs site, you might try there?

Bruce

I used one of my dip tank vats to make it... I didnt even remember making it lol

I think a saw some real big ones on trishs site, you might try there?

Bruce

Well, geez I can picture it clear as day - must've mixed some info between threads in my mind lol :P

I used my dipping vats for large candles. Most candles that I have seen that are that size retail for at least $100. I haven't done very many because I can make a whole lot or smaller candles and make more money. Not too many people want 1,000 pound candles. Some do....go figure. Donita

My 24" molds my DH made for me out of stainless steel pipe. We used drops from a pipe supply place.

Thanks guys for your input. I called my hubby at work this afternoon (he works at a hardware building centre) and he and a coworker came up with an idea of using a stainless steel pipe just like you mentioned Vicki.

Here's a kicker, the customer not only wants one but FOUR of them! I'm gonna have to order some more wax,LOL!! It'll mainly be for displaying but it's better to be safe to have proper wicking in them. I'll test it using a quarter of the length instead of the whole 24 inches.

I'll post some pics once they cooled in about...3 months :laugh2:

Now for the pricing.......

Thank you, to bad they are not a good seller the price just throws people off.
You know, I was just thinking about that. With 29.11 lbs of wax (assuming the calculator is correct), that works out to be 465 ounces. If you were to go with the $1 per ounce guideline, that candle would cost $465! At $99 (what you charge), it's actually a bargain.

What is Trish's Site?? I would love to view it....

We have 2 Large Pillars my DH made in Concrete Tubes...One is 112 lbs...and the other is 60 lbs....We have a Store Front in College Station,Texas...and MAN do they get people's attention...I call them "Our Gorillas"...:)

Have a good day.

Joyce

(David's Wife):yay:

You know, I was just thinking about that. With 29.11 lbs of wax (assuming the calculator is correct), that works out to be 465 ounces. If you were to go with the $1 per ounce guideline, that candle would cost $465! At $99 (what you charge), it's actually a bargain.

Would that be $1 per oz unscented, cos if you add the fragrance in at 1oz per # that's god only knows how much per candle.

I have a 4" x 9 1/2" mould that holds something like 5/6# wax, I can't remember just how much. I've only made 1 so far & used the thickest flat braided cotton wick I had but it doesn't burn as well as I want it to (too much of a shell left).

I'd be very interested to know what other people use in candles this size cos I really love the thing & I'd like to give it another try.

I've got a couple of other huge moulds too which I haven't tried out yet as I think I need more wick holes drilled in them.

I got them from a pipe manufacturer who had a sideline in candle moulds but I can't find their details now so I'm stuck if I want more.:sad2:

I must say it was the most fun making my big boy so good luck to you if you get your 24" moulds.

Sally.

I wouldn't stick with the $1 per ounce as your candles get bigger. Sure its wax & fragrance...but when you pour bigger candles, it takes less time to actually make it versus 200 little pillars.

Do you really charge $16 for a 3x4 pillar? I'd think 2.5x the cost of materials is where I'd keep it at to try to get them to buy it. My 36" candle is just around $100.

Something else to consider...reduce your fragrance load on the bottom layers of the candle. I know a candle that big is more of a centerpiece and is never burned all the way down.