Presto Pots

I don't have spigots on mine and I dont' see a problem not having one. I like the magnetic release on the electric cord on the presto as when the tempature hits 175 I pot the electric cord off and pour my wax into a pour pot.

Granted, I'm not a big maker in candles so I could see a spigot being a valuable asset for large makers, etc.

Love them. I have one with a spigot and one without. First time you melt wax in it you might want to put it on a cookie sheet...just to be sure it doesn't leak from the spigot. If it doesn't leak with water, it can still leak with wax and if you're anything like me...you won't watch it while it's melting the wax! I boiled water in mine first...no leaks...first use...drip, drip, drip of wax on my countertop!

I use 3 with spigots that I installed as per instructions. Be sure that after you finish your pour and empty your pot, to use your heat gun to ensure that all of the wax is completely out of the spigot.

Sometimes a little bit of wax can set inside and when you start the next pour you will have a little dab that can contaminate the next pour..;)

I've been thinking about one of these, but I have currently been using three stockpots of different sizes right on the stovetop...

on warm :rolleyes2...!

or low, depending on how quickly I use the wax, not letting it ever get over 165 degrees...

But I have been thinking like using one as a pre-melter, just like a coffee maker. I think it would hold up pretty well right on top of the microwave, LOL!

J.

I've been thinking about one of these, but I have currently been using three stockpots of different sizes right on the stovetop...

on warm :rolleyes2...!

or low, depending on how quickly I use the wax, not letting it ever get over 165 degrees...

But I have been thinking like using one as a pre-melter, just like a coffee maker. I think it would hold up pretty well right on top of the microwave, LOL!

J.

Your life will be much easier with the Presto Pot, even if you ladle the wax out (no spigot) I hesitated to buy one and once I did, I'd never go back to double boilers....I'm heading out to get my 3rd Presto! Keep different wax in each. I don't add fo or dye in my pot so I melt a bunch down and whats left gets remelted for the next time. It behaves better when you melt it twice there is lots of info on that in these threads under tempering wax. Take the plunge...you'll love it!:yay:

My ONLY gripe with Presto Pots is the non-stick coating. All of ours are now leaving little specks in the wax. Mostly it is falling from around the rim where the lid has abraded the coating. So I bought a fine mesh strainer and pour through that, so all is well. The GOOD thing about the strainer is that it catches any dust, fluff, dog hair, cat hair, etc. that might have found its way into the pot. We didn't put a spigot on ours - we either ladle the wax out or simply pour it from the Presto into the pouring pot.

Up to 5 now - all with spigots. 1 Paraffin, 2 Soy (container & pillar) and 2 for Palm (container & pillar). Got sooo tired of emptying to change waxes.

Don't used the lids because of the abraiding problems reported - the lids rubbing the liner off and causing those little specks. So I use a sheet of Glad Press 'n Seal just to keep the dust out. Never enough time to dust.

I try to keep the unused level to a minimum (below the spigot hole on the inside). If the melted level is above that I tilt the melter on its back legs and put a short length of 2X4 under the front ones. This is usually enough to get the level lower than the spigot. Then I'll open up the valve and let the trapped wax run back into the pot! No more clogs!

Just remember to open AND CLOSE the lever TIGHTLY . :embarasse How I know is another story!

I use 3 and all have spigots,,I love them,,,I use the lid only when they are turned OFF so the dust doesnt get in them,,I live around Corn Fields and I can dust one day and need to dust again the next and thats with A/C,,, :laugh2:

I have a presto pot and like it for melting the wax, too. However I am concerned with how hot the outside gets. I have grandchildren that pop in from time to time, sometimes without notice. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm worried that if they come over and I'm in the middle of making candles, and they somehow touch the pot, it will burn them.

I've been looking at Richete's melting pots - direct heat. Does anyone else use these and, if so, does the outside get as hot as the presto pot?

I've been looking at Richete's melting pots - direct heat. Does anyone else use these and, if so, does the outside get as hot as the presto pot?

This is what I am saving up for...my place's wiring was built in 1962, so I don't plan on getting the super-dee-duper one, but the 1600 watt version. When I worked at a shop I used to Waage melters, and three other melters that were actually labeled "gear heaters". The Waage units had a thick layer of insulation between the actual melting pot and the outside cover, and the heat level was less than 140 degrees, and we heated the wax at that time to 230. The information I have gathered on the RiteHete version is quite identical, but at half the cost!

Please trust me when I say that if you can use the 220 volt unit, do so, because 220 cuts your current draw in half, and lowers the overhead of electricity, a much forgotten expense to consider. Make a dedicated circuit if you have to, and they also make 220 volt timers to work with the setup as well

My presto pot is ready to go now. So sometime this week I will have my first candle made and am excited. It was really hard to find all the right pieces to make the spigot, but finally we did.

Sounds like everyone has more than one. What are the black speckles from? Is this when the pot gets old from the coating on it?

Thanks much for all the great feedback, you guys are great!!

Will let everyone know how it goes soon.

:yay:

My ONLY gripe with Presto Pots is the non-stick coating. All of ours are now leaving little specks in the wax. Mostly it is falling from around the rim where the lid has abraded the coating.

Since the lid has the metal band at the bottom - and doesn't fit snug - when it rattles back & forth it can damage the teflon coating just in that area. And it flakes off into the wax - and you can see those tiny black specks.

Without spigots people have to ladel out the wax. Using a metal ladel can also contribute to the teflon coming off if they bump or scrape the inside of the pot. Just like coated fry pans - metal utensils should be avoided.

HTH

Guest LightofDawn

I also love my Presto Pot. The first time I used it I made the mistake of not checking for leaks and not knowing which way the valve had to be to be closed. I turned it on and walk out of the room. Came back a minute or so later to find a puddle of wax on the kitchen floor. :shocked2: Works like a charm now.

Another idea to cover the pot is to use the cheap shower caps. I buy these in packages of 15 for $1.00 at the dollar store. Works great and is cheap too.