presto pot temp

Okay, so I whipped out the new presto pot yesterday to have some fun. Put my wax in it, turned it on to warm which is where I thought it needed to be and then I waited and waited and nothing. The wax didnt' melt even a drop. So do I need to start it out higher then turn it down? Or am I an unlucky that got ahold of a default presto pot? Oh yeah, I waited approx 30 -45 minutes. The bottom of the pot wasn't warm to the touch.

Check your connection and change your plug. Those magnetic cords can slip off pretty easily. I have that happen before! Warm should be good, closer to the 200 mark but not on it! Never go over the 200 mark. If that's not it, it could be defective!

Apologies in advance for asking the obvious, but ... well you know. Did you turn the power on at the wall? Was the plug in properly? If that was all normal, have you tried turning it to a higher setting? My "presto" has settings from 0 to 10 and I set it to 4 to get the wax melted and then turn it down to 2 to keep it warm.

I got a new one recently and I noticed it was a little slower warming up and I needed to turn temp a little higher than on other 2. But once it got up to temp it was good. I usually keep it set to about 200 also. hth

Check your connection and change your plug. Those magnetic cords can slip off pretty easily. I have that happen before! Warm should be good, closer to the 200 mark but not on it! Never go over the 200 mark. If that's not it, it could be defective!

That's the first thing I thought of - sometimes it looks like it's connected properly, but it actually isn't. Jiggle the connector until you see the red light come on.

I have a Presto that has a mind of its own sometimes. It will start melting immediately but it seems like it gets stuck on a temp. and doesnt want to go any higher. I don't know if I maybe hit it when I'm getting the dye and FO ready or what... but I do jiggle the magnetic part until the light comes on. I actually think its possessed.:laugh2:

Yeah, the magnets are strong, but one jar of the pot or the cord is stretched and there won't be a good enough connection. Give your cord some slack if it's stretched and I'd also double check to make sure the magnets are clean. I had a spot of wax on one (have no clue how that happened) and the pot wouldn't warm up.

I never raise my Presto above the 'M' in Warm and it always keeps my wax right around 200* and keeps it there.

Hope that Helps!!

CK

On my presto pot, there is a little notch on the side of the button past warm but before 200. I usually start there and keep an eye on my thermometer until all wax is melted and the temp evens out a bit.

I have still noticed thought that sometimes when I have less than a full pot of wax melted, I have to turn down the temp a little to keep it around 175.

It's really hard to judge by the knob, putting a thermometer in the wax and checking it occasionally is probably your best bet for accuracy.

HTH~

Jennifer

I've ranted before about the magnetic cords. Another example of a great idea that SUCKS! Do any of these design engineers actually use the crap they design?

I'll say this again-buy the Dazey crock pot/French fryer. The search is worth the effort.

Fredron

I thought I would hate the magnet. Turns out I use it as a way to turn the pot on and off... this way I know it isn't connected and I don't have to fiddle with the controller. I have 4 of them -- and as soon as I run a couple more power lines to that area I'll get 4 more... these things are great for tiny runs.

Jen, you got a bad one -- if the light is on and you stick your hand under the pot and feel no heat. -- Just check and make sure the "control" is all the way into the unit. (it pulls in and out.).

I sent one back to Amazon and they replaced it but I haven't even had time to open the box and check it out. The first one I got wouldn't melt the wax. So I guess these things have a mind of their own. They are sold to be fryers too....how in the world can you fry food in them if they don't hold a correct temperature? I guess next week I will make the effort to unpack the new one and plug it in. Donita

I use 3 of them and they all work very well for me. They melt wax quickly and hold a set temp for me indefinitley. Matbe I was just lucky and got 3 good ones. I custom built my pour table using an old table from a yard sale (5 bux) The table was junk as far as ever being a good dining table again, but it was perfect for what I wanted to do with it.

This table was rectangular, not rounded. I took one of the ouside fold down leaves off and made a rasied platform out it. Put the platform up on top so I can set my molds on level 1 and my pots on level 2. I put spigots on all three pots.

I took some cup hooks and strategically screwed then into the raised platform to hold my wiring in place. That prevents the magnetic couplers from coming loose unless I pull them loose on purpose. Problem solved.

P.S. If I could get my poor old digital camera to work I'd show you a pic. Guess I wasn't lucky enough to get a good camera. Works sometimes and sometimes not.. :grin2:

I've ranted before about the magnetic cords. Another example of a great idea that SUCKS! Do any of these design engineers actually use the crap they design?

I'll say this again-buy the Dazey crock pot/French fryer. The search is worth the effort.

Fredron

I'm just the opposite. I LOVEthe magnetic plug. That's my power switch. Then I don't have to fight to get it unplugged from under my work bench and I can leave the temp set the same all the time. I just reach over and knock the magnet off when I'm done for the day ;)

Same as Ducky here. I love the magnet. I have my temp setting where it needs to be and I don't have to constantly check to make sure its not too hot. I stick my magnet in and I am ready to go.

I have 2 with spouts and 1 without. I need to get a spout on that 1 without because I love my spouts and not so thrilled with ladles lol