Favorite way to color your candles

So what does everyone use? Liquids, Powders, Dye blocks or Dye chips? I use mostly powders and sometimes liquids.

Powders are great but you need a very accurate scale and are sometimes messy.

The liquids are about as messy as powder dye but as long as you have a GOOD cap you shouldn't have any problems.

Dye chips are conveinent as you can just toss a chip in or so per pound.

Dye blocks are very easy also but you can get covered in dye as you hold it to take slivers off. You can get about any color you want but results are often hard to replicate.

What is your favorite way to color?

Carrie

We have always used liquid. I did order some of the chips, but haven't had a chance to try them out.

We thought it would be easier to get a consistent color with the liquids - so far, so good.

Seems everyone likes the liquid coloring. What does everyone else pay for their liquid coloring? I have got from candlewic, those were pretty good and so was candlechem. Had some from candlerock was not happy at all with them. The dye seemed to separate the colors were strong but when all the liquid was gone all you had was a gooey mess in the bottle.

I only use liquids. I like the control I get using dropper bottles and find it much easier to keep track of how many drops of dye to add to so many lbs. of wax to achieve a particular color.

I guess I am the oddball out lol I use the color crystals from Make Scents. I have the color blocks and liquid dyes but I am worse than a kid fingerpainting when I start messing with my liquid dyes and my counters end up looking like someone colored them with crayons when I slice my color blocks lol.

I used the rediglo when I first started. I really need to order some more because once I finally got them melted, I liked the colors they produced.

I like liquid the best, but lately I haven't been coloring my jar candles. My customers like "dye-free" candles. They think it's better for air quality (and allergies & asthma) ... no dye burn-off to breath in. I say, if they're happy, I'm happy. :grin2:

This is awesome. I was going to ask the samething... eventually.

I have only made a handful of container candles and I used liquid dye. I loved it. Still do in fact. But was wondering about blocks since I see alot of them offered for sale. I did place a small order so I can try them out too.

Until then though I like liquid.

I personally use both liquids and dye chips. I buy most of my chips or liquid color from Peaks. With dye chips my colors are very consistent in each batch of candles I make, with liquid dye you may have to test the hue each time you make a batch if you want to stay consistent. If you don't mind your batches being different shades then what I just said doesn't really matter.:wink2:

:yay:Hey everyone! I just would like to know if the liquid or the block chips is the best??? I am new and would like to get all my ducks in a row before I start buying my candle stuff!! Any suggestions are welcome to a newbie like me. Thank You so much. Have a great day....

I use only Block colors and have going on seven years. I find it easiest to test the depth of the colr on a white doubled paper plate. I do eigh pound batches only so I begin adding the color by shaving the block with a knife over the melting wax. I use soy wax. As I add move wax, I add more color as well and test along the way. I will circle the final color that I approved on the plate and then match for the second pour.

As my colors are always very dark,(Jewel tones) I find the block cheaper to work with. I can also make whatever colr I want by mixing. My supplier have an excellet selection of colr blocks from Candle Wick.

But to be honest, if I had to do it over, I would make the candles with no color at all.

Fire