Got Me A New Problem

Just when things seem so good, I realized my molds are not square (I mean level). I pour on an absolutely level surface but every candle comes out of the mold unlevel. In other words they are not flat on the bottom (they lean to one side). I've tried the hot cookie sheet but to no avail. Any Ideas?????

Keep the hot cookie sheet handy, put the level on top of the candle (I've got a real small level) and as long as your stove is level....viola, level candle. You can manipulate how the bottom is resting on the cookie sheet. Me, I just level in my pour pot because I KNOW my candle table is level!! :P

Cookie sheet dont work well for me either. Alot of them arent perfectly flat, kind of bowed a little from using. I got turned of on making pillars cause I had same problem. Hopefully someone will give us a tip. I do know that some people will sit there molds in dry beans, you can get your mold lvl that way before you pour. I havent tried it yet tho.

I have a piece of 3x3 steel angle about 9" long. Put the cookie sheet on top of a pan of water with a paper towel on top. I stand the angle on end with the level stuck to the side (the level has a magnet). The candle sits in the crook of the angle, the angle is level, the candle gets level. I do turn the candle as I am leveling to make sure I get the same reading everywhich way.

I have a cast iron skillet that I have on my stove (we leveled the stove first) I put aluminum foil in the skillet,,Put my little level on top of my candle and I adjust the candle to the level where the bubble is in the center. then I keep holding it until the bottom is nice and flat. works very well,,HTH:highfive:

I use a small bullet level and a cheap saucepan. I heat the pan and then place the candle in the pan. Put the level on top and put pressure on the side that is high. This works really well but make sure that you put the wick in first - I was having a blonde moment - and thought that it would just seal up the bottom hole but the melted wax actually traveled all the way up the hole and out the top. Yeah! A real blonde moment.

Guest ShellyRobyn

I use a glass lid (about 6" round) from one of my cooktop safe dishes, place it directly on the burner, heat it up, tear paper towels in 1/4's, place a square of it on the lid, place the pillar on the paper towel, spin it around a few times til wax melts, remove the pillar, set in on another piece of paper towel for a sec, set it next to an empty mold to see how level it is (or isn't) and adjust from there. Done this a ka-jillion times and the glass lid has never cracked. :wink2:

I go the totally untraditional way and I actually use a miter saw with a very fine saw blade on it...works great. I have setting for 9", 6" & 3" and that way my candles are always the same height. I also use a leveling platform when pouring my candles. I do get some shift as I am using wick pins and sometimes they don't end up being completely level.

Since all of my candle making takes place in our shop in the garage, I don't have a stove to heat and I had always had problems trying to level candles out with pie tins, cookie sheets and any other way.