Sellers - who has insurance?

RobinInOR

Sellers - do you have insurance?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sellers - do you have insurance?

• Yes, I'm covered.
    • No, but I'm actively looking.
    • No, and I don't intend to get any.

Thought this would be an interesting poll, since I see insurance questions crop up. Many people won't disclose that they don't have insurance on a public webI think.

So, an anonymous poll - you can vote, but you don't have to post a reason unless you wanna :)

So, if you sell, do you have insurance?

(and you can take the 2nd option to mean "not yet, but I intend to" - I can't change it lol)

I guess my view is different but I would not even give a candle to a friend to test before I had full coverage. I actually had insurance in place for about 6 months before I started selling. Too many ppl out there that do not read the caution label and it will only cover you so far.

I guess my view is different but I would not even give a candle to a friend to test before I had full coverage. I actually had insurance in place for about 6 months before I started selling. Too many ppl out there that do not read the caution label and it will only cover you so far.

I'm like that too. I don't trust people and it puts me a whole lot more at ease, even though it's so darn expensive out here!!

do you know that you even need insurance to do a craft fair. You are only renting space and if someone falls in the space you rented you are responsible.

I bitch and complain every year when I have to pay insurance but its better than loosing my house. We live in a sew happy world and are making a product that can be very destructive if not used correctly. Let's just face facts even the most experienced people make mistakes.

do you know that you even need insurance to do a craft fair. You are only renting space and if someone falls in the space you rented you are responsible.

No, I wasn't aware of that. It seems to be rather a strict rule, because lots of booths at craft fairs are people who do not have a business - they are just selling things like sweaters they knitted.

I think it would be sort of unethical of me to not have Insurance.....seeing how I am an Insurance Agent...:P

I did not have Insurance when I was in the testing and selling here and there to friends stage....but as soon as I got my first wholesale account I got Insurance. Even though I am sort of starting over from a divorce and dont have a lot for anyone to take at this time.....I do not want to get sued by someone and have them attach my future wages!

For those of you that don't have insurance, what would happen if your house would burn down? How would you recoup from the loss?

So much emphasis is put on the liability issue of insurance, but alot of people forget about the other stuff. I read the other day on a board that it was raining at one lady's home and her roof caved in! :( She lost all her soap, supplies, etc to water damage. It made me so sad & I am kind of on a quest now to educate others on insurance.

Check around and do some research. While I was researching for insurance for my business this year when my partner decided to screw me, I found out that we shouldn't of thrown ourselves at the mercy of these companies charging an arm a leg. There are many good companies out there that will taylor to your business & it won't cost you a ton. Please remember that alot of these places will take monthly payments too & the piece of mind you get is priceless.

No, I'm not an insurance agent lol - I actually drove my CAR 3 years without insurance, so in no way am I an avid speaker for insurance, but when it comes to business, you have to separate that from your actual life. Give it a life of it's own and you will see how easy it is to start doing things "the right way" (I use that term very loosely hence the quotes lol)

Here are some places that will help you:

farmersinsurance.com (some have local agents - get your insurance locally!)

Acuity (are you in the midwest? They have local agents!)

BombaInsurance.com (strictly for the home based business, no storefronts)

RLIcorp.com

Or, if you have an insurance company now for your house, car, boat, etc and you like them (and trust them), go in there and see what THEY can do for you. If they can't insure you, I'm sure they may try to point you in the right direction.

GEEZ - sorry this was so long!

I have insurance.It is in affect starting today.I did 2 shows the last 2 weeks but this is from Oct-Oct.I also had insurance last year.This is my second year so I will continue and always will have it.

I did call my home insurance company and have been with them for 19 years.I was to get a call back and never did.I think they just ignored it so they do not have to know I am selling candles.I don't think they would cover candles etc.I called my agent but may call corporate office just to get a idea. I am fine with what I have and it is reasonable but curious if they do cover this type of business.I can say I am sure they would be more expensive.I have car and house both with them but cannot answer my question about candles.I guess they just think I won't get any and so ignore the question.I do feel bad that it is so expensive and people do have a hard time getting it.

Mine is for candle and bath products.Thank Goodness!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I think insurance is a must, if you can find it.

In my area I can not find anyony that will write for candle manufacturing either product or building contents. They say it is to High Risk. Then I ask them why do you write for home owners, cooking with grease in the kitchen has a higher flash point than my candle wax also burning candles in the home would be high risk to me too. They will cover that but not candle manufacturing. Go figure!

IMO 99% of the time it is the falt of the consumer when burning candles, that have been throughly tested.

As far as I know and have researched there has never been a major (maybe a small claims) suite due to candles. Just re-calls when something happens.

Yes I think insurance is a must, if you can find it.

In my area I can not find anyony that will write for candle manufacturing either product or building contents. They say it is to High Risk. Then I ask them why do you write for home owners, cooking with grease in the kitchen has a higher flash point than my candle wax also burning candles in the home would be high risk to me too. They will cover that but not candle manufacturing. Go figure!

IMO 99% of the time it is the falt of the consumer when burning candles, that have been throughly tested.

As far as I know and have researched there has never been a major (maybe a small claims) suite due to candles. Just re-calls when something happens.

This is true, Candle Man. I live in CA and the broker I contacted quoted me $1200/year! I've given up looking for now since I've only sold a couple of candles so far. He asked me how and where I was making candles and said that the burden of proof is on the consumer to prove your candle is at fault in the event of fire/damage. Insurance is mostly to defend yourself in a lawsuit.

Meredith, the only quote I've been able to ACTUALLY get has been $5,000 for a year. Ummm, I don't think so. LOL Most people I've contacted never get back to me.

I'm going to check a few of the sites that Kristine posted and see if that gets me anywhere, plus I got a postcard in the mail the other day for an agent in town! I really need insurance, but it's proving to be quite difficult and expensive in the good ol state of California!

Could someone who does have insurance give a ball park figure of how much it is supposed to cost? For (1) candles only and (2) candles + B&B. It would be helpful for those of us who are looking, so that when an agent gives us a quote, we will know if it is reasonable or not. Thanks!

Mine is thru my local State Farm. It is about $15/month. It did take them a week to approve it ~ seem like 2-3 times a day underwriting had questions about the business. But they approved it.

The business liability is $1 million. And $2 million for products that are not in my possession.

Our first company costed us $800.00 a month (yeah, I know!!!) After I dropped them, I went to a different company and now am paying about $150.00 a month, but I have a storefront, employees, production area and alot of wholesale accounts.

It goes on what you make - well, not what you MAKE, but what it COSTS you. Same goes for worker's comp and liability.

Honestly? My sister does all my paperwork, they don't fill me in on anything that really matters LOLOL

Mine is thru my local State Farm. It is about $15/month. It did take them a week to approve it ~ seem like 2-3 times a day underwriting had questions about the business. But they approved it.

The business liability is $1 million. And $2 million for products that are not in my possession.

Interesting...My house, car and two kids cars are through State Farm, but they wouldn't insure the candle biz "because I use heat". I told them I can't cook, but they have insured my house for years!

They did steer me to an independent agent, though, and coverage was $850 a year.

I'm lucky enough to be in the areas that Benchmark insures, so I pay $365 a year for my policy. I do think it is a must have but if you are in an area where the lowest quote is $1000 or more, I could see not having it. Some people don't even clear that in the first few years.

Here are some places that will help you:

farmersinsurance.com (some have local agents - get your insurance locally!)

Acuity (are you in the midwest? They have local agents!)

BombaInsurance.com (strictly for the home based business, no storefronts)

RLIcorp.com

Or, if you have an insurance company now for your house, car, boat, etc and you like them (and trust them), go in there and see what THEY can do for you. If they can't insure you, I'm sure they may try to point you in the right direction.

GEEZ - sorry this was so long!

Well, I need to clarify something about Farmers. I was with State Farm and they by NO means will insure candles or B&B. If they find out your running a business out of your home, they will cancel your homeowners. That came straight from ny insurance agent (at the time). When my policy was up for renewal, I switched to Farmers. I asked my agent if I could do candles and B&B as a business out of my house and it not interfer with my homeowners and she said it was 'Okay!' I had her check to see if Farmers would insursance my business for PL. She did and they would not. She did go as far as to check with local independent companies and only 1 would do it....and the premium was $3,000.00/year. So, you can take Farmers off the list. I'm still looking here in Texas.