scented rocks

This thread is awesome. I have made several different fragrances so far. I'm using Morton Ice Cream Salt 4 pounds for a buck. I didn't know how it work, so I started small. If you use rock salt, make sure it is Mortons or one that you have seen, because some are gray - Morton's is white and if you wash it it gets quite clear. I have noticed a big difference in the rocks I heat compared to the rocks in a glass jar, but even the unheated smell good. What a great find*super banana* .

I'm reading you all are are adding flour, but what about the straight salt rocks? I just seems like so much work for the same outcome, plus, the pure salt rocks seem "prettier" PLEASE I DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING AGAINST the others. I am new and really don't want to get black balled. I just don't get the whole process? I have seen salt pellets, the bigger, whitish (if a word) salt pellets used and they too are nice. Like I said I'm new so PLEASE excuse any lack of info I have

Blackballed?

I am creatively challenged. Anything I make usually turns out ugly but I give myself credit for trying. The flour recipe had all the ingredients of things I already had in my cupboard. It sounded easy, so I tried it. I just dipped my first teddy bear and posted that as well. It wasn't as pretty as the others have listed, but I tried it. I have 38 more to try out, and I'm hoping each one looks nicer than the last. Next I'll try the salt rock, but not the pellets after reading the suggested thread. After that I'll try something else. And then something else after that. I'm learning, I'm fascinated by all the things the pros are doing on this site. They give me inspiration to try things. Everybody here makes "prettier" things than I do, but I'm learning.

Boy, I sure said "try" a lot. *lol*

But that's what I'm doing.

I'm trying. It's all about the learning process for me.

Demenshia, Thanks for the links. That was a great read! :thumbsup:

So, Vermaculite was talked about alot. Has anyone tried a Vermaculite/Salt combo? (seems that everyone was leaning toward corn cob/salt but I think that would be ugly!) It sounds like the Verm. will help soak up the FO and hold the scent longer. Another question, what do you color it with? I tried liquid candle dye but I didn't read anywhere what exactly to use except in the salt dough recipe that calls for food coloring.

I remember reading in an older thread on the salt rock that the pellets won't absorb the FO very well so if you haven't opened it yet you might be able to go back and return it for the actual salt. Here is a pick to what you are looking for, this is the same stuff I buy at Lowes.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-294-water-softener-salt/40-lbs-extra-coarse-solar-salt--604998.aspx

HTH.

Also, here is the link to the thread about different typse of air fresheners, including salt rock.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2648&highlight=rock+salt

Demenshia,

I read that older thread too, great read! Thank you! So last night after I read it, I completed my list, even put down vermeculite, and prepared everything I needed for today to drive the 90 miles to get this stuff. I even planned on stopping at Cierra Candles to see if I could pick up some other things I want for other projects. We lost our power at 11:30 pm. I woke up this morning and the news says it's snowing where I wanted to drive to! *UGH* Usually the snow wouldn't stop me, but the last time I drove in snow I was involved in a head on collision. Sooo....all these plans will have to wait til I'm off work again, next week.:cry2: Unless the snow is gone tomorrow.

erinmfritz...did you try the food coloring? I'll try it when I can get out of town.

I thought winter was over!:(

The vermiculite thread (great thread, BTW, thanks!!) suggested using mica for coloring the salt. Looked like most of the other posters weren't coloring the vermiculite, as they were packaging it in bags.

I'm soooo glad I stopped in here before actually making the "fragrance rock" recipe I have printed and waiting for me in the kitchen! :o

...rock salt... kitty litter pearls...perlite... hmmmmmm...

Off on a new FO adventure!

Still have the wrong salt:( something came up, couldn't leave town to get the right stuff. Plus I heard there was snow there today but supposedly will be gone tomorrow.:undecided TOMORROW I'm getting it! *lol* I'll let ya know Demenshia how it turns out. Thanks again!:D

I'm excited! And I am also stopping at Cierra Candles, I just called them and ordered some things.:D Glad I called first, for a pick up order you have to do it at least 24 hours in advance and pick up times are ONLY 3pm to 4:30 PM. I think it's 3 or else it's 3:30. One or the other. Anyways, I would have gone up there first thing in the morning and been disappointed. Tomorrow will be one busy day of shopping! Then I have to work the next night, so that will suck having all this stuff here and having to work.:undecided

Thats what my list contains as well, along with some other stuff. *lol*

How do you re scent rebecca??

I start out with 1/2 an ounce up to 1 oz per 2 cups of vermiculite when they don't smell anymore and are dry I just throw them back in the glass mason jars and mix again. I try and stay with like scents cause some can have just a hint of smell left. That's it.:) The stuff keeps forever in the mason jars.

HTH:wink2: