6006a - big hole in the middle?

Well, I've officially given up on J223 because I can't control the wet spots so I bought 6006a, 4630 and I have 10lbs of 4627 to test. I poured a madison jar for each wax and the 6006a got a great big hole down the center of the candle. I stuck a toothpick down it to see how far down it went and it is almost half way down the jar. Does anyone know what caused this?

Info:

Heated wax to 195

Added FO at 190

added 1 drop liquid dye at 185

poured at 160 into heated jar (170 in oven)

let it cool on the counter

Is the soy causing this or am I?

Thanks for the help,

Kim

I believe it has to do with the cooling temp and the shrinkage (if that is the right word) of the wax. Maybe try cooling a little slower??? I use to use Joy wax and no matter what I did ..... it always had sink holes! I just fixed them with a heat gun or did a repour.

Thanks for the replies. I've had wax sink in before but this is an actual hole through the middle of the candle.:tongue2: I've just never had this happen before. I hit the top with a heatgun to smooth it out but I'm not sure if that will be enough to take care of it. I didn't put a wick in because i'm just testing so when I poke my hole for the wick I guess I will find out.:embarasse

Do either of you use this wax or did you find something you liked better?

TIA,

Kim

Well, I ordered and thought that I had recieved 6006 ... but after testing and all that goes in with it ... I believe that the supplier might have accidently sent the wrong wax ... it's an on going saga ...lol. At any rate, I have read many good things about this wax on this board. For me though, I don't think that I'll be re-ordering it any time soon. I've spent way to much money on blends over the past several months ... going to stick to my own blend for awhile. I'd be interested to here how you liked the 6006 though.

i use the 6006 and really love it, EXCEPT FOR THE SINK HOLES. but i have too have become one with my handy dandy heat gun..lol..and i am going to build me one of the styrofoam boxes GrayMaire spoke of..

the 6006 has a great hot throw with all the scents i have tried with it, not to bad on wicking either..of course then there is the cure time, i usually wait atleast a week on that..hth

I heat my wax to 180 or so, add fo and color at 170, and pour around 155-160. My tins never have sink holes, but the glass containers sometimes do. This is with heating the containers up (the glass ones).

But! The other day, I didn't heat up my glass containers, and had my kitchen windows open in which there was a cool breeze coming in and pretty much blowing directly on my poor candles. Needless to say I didn't have to repour or heat gun a one of them! IGI 6006 is a weird wax, but I love it.

• 4 years later...
The heat gun is your friend! Fill the candle a little fuller than usual because when you heat gun it to fill the sink hole, the candle level will go down some. Great wax!

I am going to find out tomorrow, going to melt some and make a candle or two.

6006 is creamy white (not clear) and is very soft to the touch. It comes in slab form and if you grab a slab, you can break it by bending with your hands. It melts in your hand if you hold it for a minute. Its a mess to work with. If that sounds like what you have, then great. If not, then maybe you didn't get 6006.

I use 6006 and I sometimes get sink holes as well, but I don't use Madison jars though. I have found that if I don't let the wax cool before pouring, I get a lot less sink holes. I just did a craft fair last week and we made about 300 candles for the fair and I only had about 5-10 end up with sink holes. Trial and Error has always worked best for me! Good luck!

I've only made 4 cases of candles with 6006, but no sink holes. In an 84 degree room, I heat the wax to 200, & pour @ 150 into preheated jars; & if I leave them to cool in the hot baking pan on my table, the tops are perfectly flat. But if I take the jars out of the hot pan & cool them just on my table top, the tops dip slightly when they're completely cool, so I put them under the broiler for a few seconds to make them flat. I'm thinking of cooling them on a heating pad next time.

I just poured to 8 oz containers with 6006 (my first time) heated to 190 and poured at 170, cooled at RT (75F) and saw the same concave surface that HorsescentS see. These are testers so I don't care but I may heat gun one to see what it does. No sink holes. Love the sheen on the candle, hope they burn and throw well.