Where do you make soap?

I am new to the soapmaking board, and I have a question for all soapmakers.

1. If you do not make soap in your kitchen, where do you make it and what do you use to cook or melt it?

Reason I am asking is: I purchased and set up a pre-built shed last summer just for making candles, soaps, and other crafts. (Started with just candles). My husband and I remodeled the inside to make it look like a little shop with electricity, countertop, and storage cabinets. I even have curtains on the windows to make it look homey. I do not have plumbing or access to a stove to melt wax and soap. I already have a couple of Presto pots just for melting wax, but need something different for soaps.

I shop at Cabela's quite often to get gifts for my husband. I ran across a propane cast iron stove that can be used inside or out. You can get a one, two, or three burner stove for a reasonable price. I was thinking about purchasing a two burner stove to use just for soap making and would like your opinion on this. Here is the link for this product:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=Related_IPL_514808&id=0006429512535a&navCount=4&podId=0006429&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20110&hasJS=true

If I do purchase this, my husband will be installing the propane tank on the outside and running the hose through a hole in the building next to where my counter top runs.

Honest opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The reason why we put up the shed is, my husband has a hairy fit over the fragrance oils I use in my concoctions. He likes it better when he doesn't have to smell or see what I make. Me, I love all the wonderful aromas from my oils.

I have more privacy, can make all the noise I want, and I don't have him peeking over my shoulder to see what I am doing all the time. And, I don't have him complaining about the smells in the house. I just turn on my radio and away I go!

:D

I work in my daylight basement. I melt my hard oils in my microwave upstairs in the kitchen - my batches are of a size that the hard oils fit into a 1 gallon container that just fits in the microwave. I'd get another MW for the basement, but I've only got one outlet where I'm working and I can't put in an extender strip. :)

The stoves look nice but wouldn't a hot plate be just as good and then you wouldn't have to mess around with the propane. SInce you already have electric you could just plug it in and be good to go.

I do have a hot plate, but my husband says they will take forever to heat a pot of water for a double boiler. My mother-in-law has one and hates how long it takes to cook on it. I guess that's why I think a stove would work better.

How about getting another presto pot for melting your hard oils in or a crockpot? To be honest I use my crockpot, as I weigh out my oils and butters I put them in the crock pot to melt and put my liquid oils in another bowl. After I have all my butters and solids melted I turn the crock pot off and add this to my bowl of cool liquid oils it helps to cool my melted oils back down to the right temp for adding my lye water. Since you already have electricity in shop it would be an easy fix. I work in my kitchen but have never used my stove it works for me. HTH

I make soap in my workshop. It has a small window and a fan which I use for ventilation, fluorescent light fixtures, a sink, a stove, a fridge, a microwave and storage cabinets. Oh, work tables too -- duh, AJ. :wink2:

I melt my hard oils in the microwave or on the stove top, depending on what I'm doing. I've even melted them on low heat in the oven sometimes when I'm going to be doing OHP.

hth

Glad to see I'm not the only one using a hot plate :D I have the one from Wal-Mart it's 2 burners and looks like an electric stove top with the burners covered. I really like it and it doesn't take long for water to boil in it.

I use a turf and surf for soapmaking. They just had a smaller version on sale at walmart for 30 bucks. I have melted oils in no time. Mine is the larger kind with a spigot, but a presto would probably work better than a hot plate. They took to long for me.

ps, in a pinch for small oils I have used an electric skillet. I set the pans down in it (it holds 4) add water and heat them up. I am chicken on the microwave, I like to see how hot it is getting.

I have a microwave and a single unit stove burner, I got it really cheap at the drug store, it is just one burner of a electric stove, plug in and you have instant kitchen, I use the microwave for lotion bar, balms etc, the burner for soap

Me and my soap and candle waxes have been kicked out of the home kitchen. My husband hated the smell, drips and my clutter - so he cleared out a spare room and build a workshop - Went as far as draping the floor with plastic floor covers, metal shelves along all walls, one area set with Microwave & a hot plate - Not having a sink is a pain because I have to run back and fourth to the bathroom to wash everything out. The hotplate works great for me - I dont use the pankcake griddle but an actual electric hot plate similar to an electric stove top - I bought it at walmart.