I hate Walmart I hate Nevada!

broadzilla

For days now I've been bugging everyone on this board about how to make soap, bath bombs and dipping bears. I was too impatient to order what I wanted online. So today I FINALLY get out of this horrible tiny town to go to another town, much bigger but just as lame. I get to Super Walmart with this huge list of everything I want. Including groceries which I took care of first. I was so excited that I was finally getting the stuff I wanted for these projects I had in mind. I began with getting the stuff needed for bath bombs. I was almost finished when 'witch hazel" was on the list. They don't have it. Then there was citric acid. (What IS that anyways?) They don't know either so I can't get that.

So I flip over to the next page of notes for the stuff needed to dip bears. Can't find any teddy bears, (I'm serious), so I choose 3 little bunny rabbits. I figured what the hell, they are for practice anyways & Easter is coming up. So then I try to get a Presto for the wax. Umm....yeah, they have a daddy small fry or something like that, and thats it. Even these little bunnies don't fit in this tiny thing. So I look at all the pots & pans, and I become disgusted because I don't know the tricks of this trade and what would work instead. So I take a break from that in search of wax.

First I looked in the craft section. Dumb move I soon realize. So then I went to the grocery aisle. Nothing. So THEN I went in search of a manager and asked about wax, ANY kind of wax. She brought me to some aisle where they have canning jars. No wax. I must have had this "look" on my face. Because then out of nowhere she looks at a watch she is NOT wearing and has the nerve to say to me.."Well it's NOT canning season yet, what did you expect?" I actually kept my cool for a minute and showed her my list. I had marked the things I couldn't find and she laughed at me and said, "This is Walmart, what did you expect, a kitchen store?

That's when I lost my cool and yelled at her....

"What did I expect? :angry2: How about you not having a friggen attitude with me while I'm standing here with $300.00 worth of groceries?!!!" Then I told her to put the damn groceries away herself because I was going next door to Safeway.

So...I drove home, 70 miles away, mad as hell.

No bears, no bath bombs, no soap.:(

Oh well. Back to these boards in search of kits.

so sorry to hear about your run in with a rude person :angry2:

I think there is a silver lining though, you wouldnt have found all the ingrediants there anyhow. The wax for canning isnt quality for dipping critters, and those bunnies you found probably have the wrong type of fur. I have also never seen Citric Acid in a grocery store either, only online. Just order a kit from a reputable supplier. :cool2:

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble. If it makes you feel better, we do not have a supplier for bath or candles in the entire state! :sad2:

IMO- you will save money and time if you place an order with a good company.

I have never heard of purchasing wax at Walmart but I don't make candles so maybe someone let you in on a secret that I am not aware of....

Citric Acid is something that I have never found at any grocery store, although I was told that sometimes it is sold under "Sour Salt" in the canning section.

I would get on Brambleberry (www.brambleberry.com) and order your M&P base, a fragrance oil sampler... They also have bath bomb supplies and candle supplies if you are dipping bunnies. :tongue2:

Keep your chin up. You will learn the tricks of the trade with time and it will be easier when you know what you are looking for.

Jennifer

Believe me I know your frustration. I was the same way when I first started thinking I could find it at Wally World. The wax and some other stuff I was able to find at Hobby Lobby. But to save your sanity it's best to order online.

As for the bears I mean bunnies i just use a non stick pot that i use to melt my wax in that is big enough for it to fit in. I have found paraffin in my grocery stores canning aisle pretty much year round though in 1 lb boxes.

Thanks Carriegsxr6,

Now that DOES actually make me feel better. Just having someone tell me I wouldn't have found everything makes this experience...better. *lol* I was sooo frustrated. I'm never shopping there again though. There was no reason for someone to be so rude. That "look" on my face couldn't have been all THAT bad! It was kinda like this...:P *lol* Just kidding.

Thanks again!:)

I have never heard of purchasing wax at Walmart but I don't make candles so maybe someone let you in on a secret that I am not aware of....

They had both candle and m & p soap kits at our Walmart around Christmas time. They were about $20 but I don't know what the quality was.

Thank you all! After I wrote all that I felt stupid. *lol* I am going to the site you mentioned mountainmadness and I'm going to spend like a fool! *lol* As for the cuppa, I'm having a diet pepsi that I bought at Safeway! *lol* That was my first time ever walking out without a grocery cart. I was so mad I didn't even laugh until I re-read what I wrote once it was posted. Now I will have to go 90 miles away for decent priced groceries but I don't care.

I don't know what it is...but this Walmart I went to hires the wierdest people. At xmas I was buying presents for 2 kids I had never met but are in my soon - to - be family. They went through Katrina and I wanted to get them some nice things. While unloading clothes & toys at the counter, I had my fiance on the cell phone with me who was there visiting. I was making sure I had the right sizes and the right toys. Spiderman and Princess Barbie everything. *L* Anyways, the checker heard me say something like, "Well....I hope I got everything right, it's been fun shopping for kids I've never met." After we hung up, the checker said, "If you want to buy another kid you've never met some things, I have a 5 year old son." She was serious. I didn't really know how to feel about that one, but it stayed with me.

Yeah...I'm sooo done with Walmart after today.

I am so sorry broadzilla!! I TOTALLY know what you how you feels with not being able to find them locally!! Carriegsxr6... you would not have found that all at Wal-Mart... and she DID NOT need to be an a$$ to you... good for you making her put back all the groceries... I HATE rude customer service people:angry2: :angry2: . Another supplier I order from is Majestic Mountain Sage (MMS) http://www.thesage.com/ they are in Utah... still closer than Ohio. I do like their stuff too. Most of the supplies I buy I have to get online, except some oils (coconut, safflower, Olive oil) , salts (epsom, sea salt) and the FO's I get a Cierra Candles.

I too thought "I hate Nevada" too when I first started doing B&B not too long ago, now I just remind myself "it could be worse" We could be out of the US and not have as many options for suppliers...I know there are few here from other countries (UK, Ireland, Canada and Italy).:tiptoe:

HTH you feel a little better:D

For the price of gas driving that far away getting supplies, you're much better off paying for good products and shipping, and more relaxation too.

only thing that'll drive ya nuts is waiting for it to arrive at your door lol

Try www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com

they have alot of stuff, from bath and body supplies to dipping critters supplies.

There's alot of places you can order from and not deal with issues with walmart and ppl..lol

HTH

Dani

:highfive: First off, congratulations for standing up to her. But secondly- at the risk of sounding like a Wal-mart spokesperson, lol... you get people like that anywhere. But I totally get that you are 'done with wal-mart' because of the lack of supplies for you. But I just had to say good on ya, because most people would have either just got mouthy right back and bought their stuff anyways, lol, or just moused away and been even madder at themselves for not saying anything. I think it's totally...........TOTALLY great that you did. No body should be talked to that way. And NO body should take it. I think you handled yourself well!

Citric Acid: If you can find a grocery store that sells bulk items- find the powder looking stuffs and you will probably find it there. They may have it bulk in either large barrels or half gallon jars with their bulk spices- so make an effort to look for a store that sells bulk and i'm sure you will find it. This is how I find so much of what can be used in B&B applications. Root powders, dried chamomile, dried lavender buds, dried calendula, Milk powders, etc. I hope this is the same for you in your area... I realize I happen to live in a 'green' (aka naturalist type) city, so bulk, natural foods and do it yourself type ingredients aren't very hard to find. But it may only be a matter of looking up 'health food store' in your phone book or something. I hope, anyways. So Good luck;)

When I ran out of Citric Acid and was too impatient to wait for an order I used the Fruit Fresh-or Fresh Fruit can't remember the name- and have found it at WalMart in the canning section, for bath bombs and it works. It's more expensive then buying online though.

MsDammit,

I LOVE that name! *lol*

Thank you for that info. With the luck I had yesterday, they would have been out of THAT as well.:rolleyes2 *lol* But I have added that to my notes. This notebook is getting huge! :)

I ordered kits last night. Hopefully I will be able to make something that isn't atrocious! :shocked2: Can't wait for them to get here!

Oh my gosh, this post took me back to when I wanted to make CP soap for the first time. I tried to find sodium hydroxide in the grocery store and hardware store and people looked at me like I had 2 heads. I was exhausted from driving around from store to store. I finally decided to look on the internet and found what I needed. Now I have my main suppliers and I have everything delivered to my door. No stress involved in that at all, except maybe for the UPS guy who has to lug my 5 gallon pails of oils to my door! :cheesy2: I tip he though so he doesn't mind!!

That was a bad day. And PMS~ing wasn't helping either.:o I've been checking out all the sites that are listed on here and have been ordering stuff from different ones. The UPS man is really nice in this town, he even helps my DIL hide my sons xmas presents out in their garage every year. *lol* With all this ordering I'm doing, I better up his xmas present. He won't take cash, so I have to be creative each year.

I had to laugh at your story. I know its not funny but we have all been there I think! That clerk sounded like a jerk so I'm glad you walked!

Don't worry hon-- you will get much better products (and probably for far less money) by checking out some wax suppliers.

I bought my first wax and molds and dyes, etc from a craft store. I could have literally saved myself about a $100 by waiting and buying from a good suppliers. But that was before I knew about candletech and the helpful advice here.

Live and learn. Go have a cookie!!!