inexpensive loaf soap molds

successfulscents

What about glass? I found a glass loaf pan that I don't use anymore and thought maybe I could use that.

You'd have a difficult time unmolding anything in glass.

Personally...I don't use ANYTHING glass when it comes to soaping, except sometimes small glass containers for weighing FOs or EOs.

I know there are many who disagree, but glass can have flaws that you can't see, and when exposed to extreme temperature changes can shatter. The company who makes Pyrex now states that on their website. The old 'freezer to oven' concept is no longer.

You are much better off...and safer...using plastic.

Most of my molds are plastic drawer organizers from the dollar store and/or Walmart. ;)

I see almost EVERYTHING as a potential soap mold these days! LOL :D

mine too!

Dollar tree plastic drawer organisers are my loaf molds along with some dollar tree silicone molds I have found.

• 1 month later...

Do the drawer organizers give you a straight sided soap? AND do they fit in the soap boxes???? Needing to start making soap in high volume...about 64 bars a day, so I need something that will give me straight sides and uniform size to fit in a soap box (from Kangaroo Blue). Not really wanting to invest a ton in wood mold.

Any advice is appreciated.... even links to purchasing reasonably priced loaf molds!!

TIA

Do the drawer organizers give you a straight sided soap? AND do they fit in the soap boxes???? Needing to start making soap in high volume...about 64 bars a day, so I need something that will give me straight sides and uniform size to fit in a soap box (from Kangaroo Blue). Not really wanting to invest a ton in wood mold.

Any advice is appreciated.... even links to purchasing reasonably priced loaf molds!!

TIA

Schmoopie,

The Martha Mold( Martha Stewart utensil organizer at Kmart) is a good loaf mold too. Has 3 loaf "cavities" and makes perfect sized loaves with straight sides. Do have to line it, I use old transparency sheets, but it is only around 7.00 so very economical, I get about 17 bars out of each loaf.

HTH,

Glo

I found some decoupage boxes at Michaels that are 12x12 they worked perfect for making my soaps. They were like $5.99 each I got 12 bars per mold. You can cut them the size and width that you need them very easily.

I lined them with the crazy foam soap came right out. They also have lids.

Go to the Hardware Store and buy a length of wood (probably 1x4?), and have them cut it for you. If you know your measurements before you go in, all you'll have to do when you get home is assemble it. I know it's recommended to use screws and not nails (although don't ask me why, I'm honestly not sure, even though I've got plenty of woodworkers in my family). They may not hold up to the test of time, but they'll be inexpensive, and still hold up pretty well.

I know it's recommended to use screws and not nails (although don't ask me why, I'm honestly not sure, even though I've got plenty of woodworkers in my family).
I'll take a guess and say b/c if you can't get your soap out of the mold you can un-screw the sides and remove it that way.

Glo,

So you get a total of 51 bars out of the 3 molds? How many pounds go into each loaf? Looking to make 4 oz bars......

TIA

Yes I cut them almost an inch thick, just a little shy of that. And I then have an end piece to test too. My batches are 40 oz of oils and I usually have a bit left over for an individual mold or two. I use one 40 oz batch for each cavity.

Glo