Friend refuses to trim wick

I have a friend who refuses to trim the wicks in candles. She says she shouldn't have to. I learned this when a candle in a tin caught on fire in her bathroom (It wasn't one of my candles) I can't believe how stupid that is. I don't think that I'll ever be comfortable giving or selling her a candle again. I learned this right after I gave her about five of them.

yea, well you shouldn't have to wear a condom to prevent STDs, but it's still a really smart and responsible thing to do...

Life isn't fair -

That's too funny. I know that I can't let her have/buy anymore. I probably wouldn't care if she didn't have a three year old daughter. I'll just have to be brave and tell her no. (i'm a people pleaser and have trouble saying no) Seems like she would have learned.

I have a friend who refuses to trim the wicks in candles. She says she shouldn't have to. I don't think that I'll ever be comfortable giving or selling her a candle again. I learned this right after I gave her about five of them.

Hey... Wonder if its the same friend I have!!!

My friend turned her wall and flowers black after a power burn!!

Put the candle in her bathroom, under a vase of flowers and burned it 8 hours. Flowers and walls were black.

(Burned it until all the wax was gone and was burning just the wick!!):lipsrseal

I gave her a wick trimmer as a gift!! :laugh2:

I have not had a problem since...

I've been over to friends houses where they dont trim wicks. I pick up the candle and bring it to them and show them how to trim the wick and make sure they know how important it is. Basically a Mini training on how to properly burn a candle.

I think if your friend doesnt want to do it, I agree with others, you should take those candles away. That is a safety/liability issue. You dont want to getc aught in that.

I am keeping note of all the crazy things people do , if someone ever sues me... i'm gonna say " you're just duplicating the test " Blank" Did..

I've been over to friends houses where they dont trim wicks. I pick up the candle and bring it to them and show them how to trim the wick and make sure they know how important it is. Basically a Mini training on how to properly burn a candle.

I think if your friend doesnt want to do it, I agree with others, you should take those candles away. That is a safety/liability issue. You dont want to getc aught in that.

Got one of those kind of friends too...except she won't hug them either. I started underwicking her candles to avoid blowouts but if a candle isn't tended properly there is no telling what can happen. Thankfully my friend got married and now has something to do other than play in the flame...she's is an admitted pyromanic. :shocked2:

I tell everyone this story of what happens when candles are left burning unattended for long periods of time.

One night my best friend and I had gone to pick up her son who lived about 2 miles away. We turned up the road to her house and see flames...NOT her house. But a neighbor about 5 houses away...her English tudor home is going up in flames fast. Fire department arrives and we watched them for a while but the home was already too far gone. The next day driving past the house...burned completely to the ground except for one wall. She lost EVERYTHING. Found out later that she had been burning candles in her bathroom all day and left to take her kids somewhere that evening.

Maggie

My boss does this same thing, lights my candles and lets them burn, most times leaves and forgets to extinguish them. I have told him that I will not sell him another candle until he stops this. I told him I do not want that weighing on me. He is just absent minded he says and everything has always been fine with him doing it that way. I told him it will not always be fine, someday he will regret how he burns candles.

I told him I am coming over there and going to show him how to take care of his candles. He thinks you should not have to trim wicks. I think he thinks it is too labor intensive for him. LOL I love him to death but will not enable him with my canldes!

This is why I am absolutely loving the self-trimming wicks! LOL I have a niece - she and her husband have had the "safety talk" from me more than once - along with the fact that they burn better, longer, less soot, etc. if they are kept trimmed.

I went there one night and I watch her light my candle....without trimming it.....so I thought I would see what happened. Nothing! That darn thing burned beautifully - and they are marathon burners!! She finally looked at me and said "can't you just RELAX and enjoy the candle...you always look like you are waiting for something to happen!" LOL

I would not want to have to count on that, but it makes me feel better knowing that, since I can't be there to babysit them, they SEEM to behave.

When we are testing, we are adamant that people burn them four hours, trim wicks, etc. But when you sell them, you have no clue how it is going to be burned, and at that point, it is out of your hands.