Labeling Lotions

Sherl

I just use one label. The print is rather smallish for the ingredients, but I've seen labeling B&BW uses on some of their products and you practically need a magnifying glass to read them.

I used to use 2 labels, but it was just too much trouble trying to place both labels evenly on the bottle or jar, and then trying to make sure all bottles or jars were identical. Plus, it was more expensive.

It depends on the product. For my lotions I only use one label. For my shea butters and sugar scrubs I use 2 labels, but I'm in the process of going to one round label on the lid. Anything I can do to reduce cost and reduce time and energy spent is always helpful.

Ann M

As a consumer, I like two lables. I want the visual effect of a nice product. Maybe in a way I think of ingredients on the front as screaming 'im home made'... some like that though. I'm still new to this stuff, and my personal preference is an overall professional....clean look.

As a crafter, I realize all the extra work and cost! But I think labeling is a big first impression kind of thing so I'm leaning towards the two when I start selling. But only if I settle on a quick and easy design that will fit, I don't have to cut myself, lines up, etc.

So far, on my balms: I do like Bunny...I cut my own so I simply add a smaller same length rectangle that sits up against the top or bottom of the part that is the front label and it wraps around... one cut one adhesion.

My long term goal is that if I have similar products or ingredients in a product- I'd like to have some basic ingredient labels made up already and it will be the look of the front /packaging that I only need to differentiate. I don't see any problem with making your ingredients as itty bitty as necessary though if you want to put them on front. Most will not and do not really care what is in it, and for those that do, then they are used to having to look harder, lol. JMHO.

I think for me this falls under one of my mottos for my businesses. If you want to be viewed as a professional, then you must act like a professional, and look like a professional. For the "look like a pro", since most people don't see me during a sale, it means my websites, and my products, and my labels, must look professional. And most of the professional companies do two labels. Company name, logo, product name and scent, and maybe some promo stuff on the front. All the FDA required stuff on the back. I also include usage directions, and usually a little advertising plug about the product on the back label as well. To me, this is the most professional looking approach. I like how my products look, and I've frequently been complimented on my packaging (retail business) when I actually find myself doing shows (I don't do very many).

But ultimately, it's what you're comfortable with. If you like the look and feel of one label, all info on the front, then go for it. It's certainly not prohibited. Carol's Daughter's labels are like this, and her company is doing very well.

Go with what's right for you and your company.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working on a front and back label as well. So far all the bottles are fine with the exception of one.

I'm using a boston round bottle for lotion and I've noticed that the labels pull away from the bottle when you squeeze it a bit. Any ideas on fixing that?