Is this stupid or what?

NattyCat

OK all, I know this candle is FUGLY, and I know it's over-filled, but what I'm testing here is a crazy (possibly stupid) idea I had and wanted to know if anyone else had the same idea, or if they can figure out why this would be totally stupid to pursue.

The idea is basically a wide-mouthed jar poured with paraffin embeds and gel wax around a mould that's placed in the middle (I used a 2" pillar mould) When the gel's set, I poured container wax into the void. The idea was that the container wax would melt but the gel and embeds wouldn't and the light would shine through. I used an RRD29 instead of the usual Super Large Hemp or CD 22 so the melt pool would only be around 2".

Feel free to laugh, ridicule and generally poke fun, as this is just one of those ideas you get when you're sick of pouring yet another order for baby powder votives or wicking hundreds of tins and jars for a show.....

This has only been burning for about 45 minutes, I'll let you know later if it all collapses in on itself.....

test1.JPG

test2.JPG

Good experiment. Let us know how it holds up...I tried something similar the other day with a votive cup in a 3"x3" pillar mold. The idea was to embed the glass in the pillar so I could put a tealight in it, but I think it gets too hot. The outside around the top of the glass melted. I did just use a 145mp wax so that was probably not hard enough. Going to try some 5055 next week but I have my doubts.

I have a feeling with yours the walls around the flame will probably melt down a bit. Kind of like mine did

Nothing gets accomplished if we were too afraid to experiment right? Good on ya! I can just imagine all the options available (for embeds and such) to you if this works.

I know you are just testing right now, but if it works, I think matching the wax to the gel would make it pretty- OR- do some sort of color combination that would look totally cool if a bit of the gel did melt. It might look swirly in the melt pool!

yup - you're right, I was going for a cherry pie filling type thing and used red embeds and red gel - but there could be loads of options - anything that's canned or preserved I suppose - clear gel with lemon/orange/apple slices, mini pumpkins etc.

It's been burning well over an hour and a half now - the gel isn't melting - there are miniscule streaks of swirly red in the white wax but you can barely see them - when it's got further down, i'll post another pic.

those yankme ones are cool - I've not seen those before - it looks like they're full of embeds and gel though, and not a centre "candle" bit - maybe that would would better? I'll have to try that if this one doesn't work - and there was me thinking I was being all creative and Yankme got there first :cry2:

Oh well, I don't think those yankme ones are available here in the UK yet so I'll keep burning this one and see what happens. Will post more pics later with my findings/disaster.

I think it looks neat. Yankees looks like a plain gel candle with embeds, not a paraffin candle in the middle. That's definitely different. Hmm.. almost like a creme filling :grin2:

Ooooo that really made me think you could do ones with orange and creamy center like a creamsicle. So yummy.

Did I read it wrong? The Yankee candle in that link is not gel at all. It said it was a combination of clear and paraffin wax, that behaved in a way that gel wax did not. What I took from it is that it is basicly a higher melt point on the outside, lower on inside.

So no worries, Nattycat. I'd say you still got there first!;)

The candle is burning forever - I think I need to wick up. The inside layer of gel is melting towards the paraffin, but there is still about an inch of unburnt gel and embeds around the glass - if I wick up, the gel will melt even more, but if I'm careful it will still leave a good half an inch around the edge so the jar will still look full. When I've changed the wick, I'll burn again and post a pic.

that looks really cool.... I had a similar idea, but was gonna set a tealight mold in the gel as it was setting up... then remove it and place an actual tealight.... never got around to trying it, but now that itch is back, so guess im gonna have to now....lol..... good work..... keep us informed:highfive: