Someone 'testing' a candle for you?

One more question and I have got to get off this computer!

I'm thinking about sending my sister in Tenessee a couple of candles to try out. I've read where people will give others candles to 'test', but how do you have other folks test for you that really know nothing about what to look for? How about sending her some candles that have turned out well, but just to get an outside opinion? Of course, I would inform her about burn time, trimming wicks, etc.--the basics. Any opinions or info welcome:)

I'm currently using Candle Cauldron's test sheet for my testing. The comment form may be more of what I'm looking for, for my sister to use. Sometimes I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees--and need an objective and honest (believe you me, she'll be honest;)) opinion!

My experience with testers has much to be desired. I have finally given up and burn every damn thing myself. I gave out tester forms, explained, you name it. I have given out so many candles in every size, shape, and form that I could make. I have begged, pleaded, threatened. Same old crap no matter whether it's a relative, close friend, acquaintance. No response until I hell hack. Then it's not much more than a "It burned nice." It's not like I was expecting them to give me a report like the UL labs. I had some give my test candles as gifts. Some lied and gave me back containers they had "cleaned" and said burned perfectly. (I found traces of soot.) Bottom line is, I decided no matter how many testers I give out, I burn one identical myself! Yep, I'm in a bad mood today.

You could also consider testing them yourself. If your tester doesn't know what to look for, even with a checklist, they may not be able to tell you accurately what you need to know. They may also miss out on certain things especially if they're not watching it too closely all the time.

I test for burn myself, yes, every single scent/dye/wax/container combo (ughhh), but AFTER I get that right, I'll let family and close friends test for scent throw and test to make sure it burns right in their house. Everytime I come by (local family and friends only lol) I check to see how it's been burning! My friend's house is sooo much warmer than mine, candles at her house burn alot differently. So I test my own as much as possible first and then *I* check their testers lol. Now I test 6 or 7 fragrances at a time, so testing isn't as slow as it sounds. I have two going in the basement, 3 on the main floor and 2 upstairs. AND I test all the sizes of each scent at the same time in the same room. I've been testing new containers, wicking and wax (what the heck, it's a new year lol) and my house smells like a candle shop!!!!

-Kristi

Always test it yourself first, then send it out to people. The reasoning is simple, other people don't know what you know, hence have no idea what to look for in your candles. Lest anyone should forget, most people haven't a clue how a candle is supposed to burn because they've been predisposed/hoodwinked by the mass producers for so long.

You test it first, then sent it to your sister.

HTH

hubby has two secretaries that have totally different home environments...I started with the testing sheets but now they have been testing so much for me that they recognize everything they should be recognizing..one burns a couple of hours at a time while the other one lights, blows out, lights blows out..makes a huge difference in burn times, wax pools etc. I also pour the same tester for myself so I have 3 comparisons at all times..infuriates me when I know a candlemaker doesn't test...not testing and not anchoring wicks are my two biggest pet peeves.

My experience with testers has much to be desired. I have finally given up and burn every damn thing myself. I gave out tester forms, explained, you name it. I have given out so many candles in every size, shape, and form that I could make. I have begged, pleaded, threatened. Same old crap no matter whether it's a relative, close friend, acquaintance. No response until I hell hack. Then it's not much more than a "It burned nice." It's not like I was expecting them to give me a report like the UL labs. I had some give my test candles as gifts. Some lied and gave me back containers they had "cleaned" and said burned perfectly. (I found traces of soot.) Bottom line is, I decided no matter how many testers I give out, I burn one identical myself! Yep, I'm in a bad mood today.

Well, I'm not in a bad mood:wink2: but I still agree with pretty much every thing you say. The only way to know if you have a candle burning to your specifications is to test them yourself. Sometimes I get tired of it ( especially when it's a scent I detest ) but I never felt that the feedback I was getting ( and most peeps were good about filling out the test sheets ) was telling me all that I needed to know.