Truly Paraffin Free???

For those of you who make "100%" soy candles with no paraffin...I was wondering about your wicking. I know a lot of people are using CD wicks and HTP wicks.....do you buy the primed wicks? Do you special order them with soy priming? Or do you just order them from your supplier? In which case, aren't they primed with paraffin? So are our candles truly paraffin free???

Just curious since so many of are trying to perfect the all soy candles. I had a tea light burn perfectly yesterday...had to blow it out at 7 hours cause I had to leave....was so excited...then I thought, "gee, my wick is primed in paraffin, there goes the all soy paraffin free candle!"

Just my random thoughts.....would like some of your thoughts here!

Thanks...C :lipsrseal

I work with both parafin and soy, but I only make burning candles from soy or veggie waxes. Honestly, I don't care, it's not all natural anyway. And these are the only wicks I currently like and I'm not switching! I don't put "100% soy" on my label (I don't sell yet) I just put "soy candle"

I just put "soy candle"

doesn't "soy candle" lead people to believe that it is a "soy candle" and that it contains no paraffin at all?

I'm not picking fights with people...just playing the devil's advocate....for me, I want to make a completely paraffin free candle since many friends and family of mine have paraffin allergies....so with my conscience, I would feel dishonest using a wick knowing that it was primed in paraffin....

doesn't "soy candle" lead people to believe that it is a "soy candle" and that it contains no paraffin at all?

I'm not picking fights with people...just playing the devil's advocate....for me, I want to make a completely paraffin free candle since many friends and family of mine have paraffin allergies....so with my conscience, I would feel dishonest using a wick knowing that it was primed in paraffin....

I don't think parafin is bad to burn, but if it did have some negative quirks, I don't believe that the amount contained on the primed wick would be enough to make a difference. I don't know anything about parafin allergies, but if it's a factor in your candle making that you decided to consider, than I'd say just use non primed parafin wicks like ECO. In me saying "soy candle" surely I'm not making any claims that it's an all natural product, and if I should have a consumer that has issues with parafin, I'd hope that they would specifially know what they want and then ask if that's what my product contains. I think consumers have too much irelevant info disclosed to them that's not really necessary for them to know, like the whole only cotton wicks, or non zinc wicks, how much FO, etc. Unless ppl are allergic to cotton or zinc, I don't know. Hope no one gets offended if you use that in your sales approach. I am just looking for something more simple yet informative enough for what really needs to be known. If that makes sense...:lipsrseal

There is some comments in the recent Beanpod post by Geek that might be of interest to you - about the 100% soy issue. Have a look - it was quite interesting. Some people felt that there it is all about marketing - that there is really no such thing as a pure soy candle, and maybe:grin2: that it does not really matter all that much either...

HTH

Katinka

There is some comments in the recent Beanpod post by Geek that might be of interest to you - about the 100% soy issue. Have a look - it was quite interesting. Some people felt that there it is all about marketing - that there is really no such thing as a pure soy candle, and maybe:grin2: that it does not really matter all that much either...

HTH

Katinka

I participated in the BeanPod thread a couple of times....I understand the marketing aspect....I also recognize the deceitfulness of marketing and how people buy things that maybe they wouldn't if they knew the truth...such as how bad MSG is for you and not knowing that they put it in food but are able to label it as something other than MSG because it was added to something else before putting into the product. I want to be honest with my customers...I want to have integrity in what I do, and I want my product to have integrity. I know that I can't label the candle as 100% natural or 100% soy if it has color or fragrance...which one of my lines contain neither....but if I say that the wax used is only so, or that the candle contains no paraffin, then I want to do so honestly and have a clear conscience. It's like putting beeswax in a candle and calling it a soy candle....some vegans would not have bought the candle if they knew it had beeswax in it. I will be honest in what I do and I will be blessed because of it as longs as I'm following the calling that the Good Lord has placed in front of me.

I started this thread because I was curious as to how the chandlers here that are only trying to make a paraffin free candle feel about the paraffin primed wax....

I apologize if this post came across harsh as it it not my intention...too tired to be responding tonight.... :undecided

for me, I want to make a completely paraffin free candle since many friends and family of mine have paraffin allergies....so with my conscience, I would feel dishonest using a wick knowing that it was primed in paraffin....

Chris, how does this present? I'd like to be able to recognize the symptoms.

Chris, how does this present? I'd like to be able to recognize the symptoms.

well, my sister gets an immediate headache when she is exposed to a burning paraffin candle....and it's not the FO, because the unscented candles give her just as bad a headache. Another friend can burn soy or beeswax like her and be fine, however paraffin makes his asthma act up, and other family get similar symptoms as well. They are all fine burning beeswax and soy however.

Thanks Chris. So many allergies these days, isn't it? I know folks allergic to soy, you have family members allergic to paraffin. Let's hope there aren't too many allergic to both, or we would have to stop making candles altogether.

yeah no doubt....ooorrrrr....make the 50/50 blend and maybe the one would cancel out the other! muahaha :laugh2:

Okay, so what about using natural waxes with a meltpoint higher than that of soy like Carnauba (82.5º C) or Candelilla (68.5 - 72.5º C)? Sorry I am not sure what that is in Farenheit, but I am sure it is equal or higher than the meltpoint of beeswax. Just a thought.

Okay, so what about using natural waxes with a meltpoint higher than that of soy like Carnauba (82.5º C) or Candelilla (68.5 - 72.5º C)? Sorry I am not sure what that is in Farenheit, but I am sure it is equal or higher than the meltpoint of beeswax. Just a thought.

hopefully someone else will chime in because I know nothing of those 2 waxes

I purchase raw wicking and coat it myself with a soy pillar blend. There are also alot of companies out there who sell wicks primed with beeswax (Northstar3). You can custom order any wick from candlewic primed with beeswax. Also Wick's Wares sells RRD wicks that are primed with veggie wax.

You can prime your own wicks, and then there are NO worries about what your wick is primed with. Personally, I do not worry about the little bit of paraffin my wicks are primed with, but then again, I do not sell my candles saying they are 100% soy. HTH

Just read through this thread and found it interesting. I was only thinking the other day about the problem with soy candles and pre-tabbed & primed wicks. I often wondered if they were primed with paraffin or not.

I'm currently using Eco wicks & prime them myself with a coat or 2 of soya Pb, they work just fine.

Sally.

Sally, at the risk of sounding like a right plonker, how simple is it to prime your own wicks? Is it a case of just cutting lengths from the spool and dipping them in the wax and then crimping them into the sustainers? Also, how time consuming is it?

Embarrassingly

Ruby :embarasse