Grrr ~ Wick Stick Ums!

Just when things were going well my wick stick um have decided they should come loose close to the end of burning. With about an inch to an inch and half of wax remaining. What can I do to ensure my wick stick um's will stick?!

I don't use them ... I use household silicone instead. I buy it at Walmart in the hardware department, it's around $3 a tube.

How do you get the wick tab out of the container after the silicone has set up and how much silicone do you use on the wick tab a dot or glob? :)

I used to have problems with wick stickums not staying stuck and coming loose when I'm bending them over the wick centering tool just before pouring. I found it happened when I was wicking a jar straight out of the box. Add to that, I keep my jars in my basement, which is cooler than the upstairs. What I have done to fix that is just give the jars a quick wash and dry, and make sure the jar is somewhat warm when setting the wick. They stick every time! I have had to remove the leftover wick tab with pliers after test burning a candle down to nothing, that's how well they stick for me.

HTH! geek

Another vote for a hot glue gun. I tried the wick stick-ums and they never worked for me. In order to remove the wick tab once the candle is gone, I place the jar in a candle warmer (or my oven) to warm it up and (most of the time) it comes right off. Every once in a while I will get a stubborn one, but for the most part, it works well for me.

Paula:grin2:

I vote for the glue gun also. Make sure to use High temp hot glue. Although the Glue dots are interesting me. It would be nice to find something that doesn't require time to heat up to wick a jar. I have some of the wick stick ems and use them for household repairs and crafts with my daughters.

I used to have problems with wick stickums not staying stuck and coming loose when I'm bending them over the wick centering tool just before pouring. I found it happened when I was wicking a jar straight out of the box. Add to that, I keep my jars in my basement, which is cooler than the upstairs. What I have done to fix that is just give the jars a quick wash and dry, and make sure the jar is somewhat warm when setting the wick. They stick every time! I have had to remove the leftover wick tab with pliers after test burning a candle down to nothing, that's how well they stick for me.

HTH! geek

I have to agree with geekrunner because I do it the same way. I always wash my jars and heat them prior to pouring. Have never had a single wick stickum come loose from any of them. And, they are very difficult to remove once the candle is done burning. I usually clean the jar out real well with paper towels and then use some goo gone to remove the excess glue on the bottom. Works like a charm!

Another vote for a glue gun here!!

I tried the stick um's.... it wasn't too too bad, but my supplier doesn't carry them anymore. She now has glue dots!!! They absolutely do not work for my mason jars!!!

So... I've bought myself a high temp glue gun, which almost never fails...as long as I put enough glue on!! :D

I second the poor results with glue dots. I bought them from LoneStar, I think...a big box full that the kids are now using to stick papers together. Every time I poured, the hot wax caused the dot to let go. Grrr. On the whole I have had good luck with the wick stickums. Maybe it depends on where you get them as I had one batch that wasn't as good. Beth

Another vote for a glue gun here!!

I tried the stick um's.... it wasn't too too bad, but my supplier doesn't carry them anymore. She now has glue dots!!! They absolutely do not work for my mason jars!!!

So... I've bought myself a high temp glue gun, which almost never fails...as long as I put enough glue on!! :D

Yep, I had the same results with the Glue Dots. They would not work for me.

I tried them in clean jars, dirty jars, warm jars and cold jars. I do not like them in the jars. I do not like them Sam I am. :laugh2:

How do you get the wick tab out of the container after the silicone has set up and how much silicone do you use on the wick tab a dot or glob? :)

I'm a bit confused by your question ... however, you take your tabbed wick, put enough silicone on the bottom of the tab to cover the tab ... then, center it in the bottom of your jar. When set (after an hour or so), you pour your scented wax in.

Well, then your jars are not clean or you are using cold jars.

I have made literally many thousands of candles with these wickstickers and not one came loose. So hmmm, migh be something to consider.

Nope, I clean them and warm them. It's not like every one of them is coming loose just a couple. I'm going to try the alcohol trick someone else mentioned, hopefully that will help. If not I'll have to move on to something that works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was going to try the silicone someone mentioned, but all I could find at Wal-Mart was something called black silicone and didn't know if that was the right stuff. Not sure I want a big black dot at the bottom of my jar.

I think a lot of it has to do with humidity and the type of jar you use. My old jars, the BC stickums were okay. I live in an area of the country where in the summer, you can drink the air it is so blessed humid. So in summer, I would have more pop off than I would in the winter. When I switched jars they have the slightest curve on the bottom (bows in just a hair). With the new jars I just had to forgo the stickums and do silicone because the stickums were coming lose right and left. I tried the washing and warming of the jars, too, and it just did not work. As for washing and warming my jars on a continual basis, I just cannot imagine being able to do it with the amount of candles I make. I barely have time to keep up with my family's dishes let alone washing cases and cases and cases of jars...lol. I guess I could multi-task and throw some jars in the tub with the kids? (Yes, put down the phone...don't call CPS, it was a joke).