Do not use the Michaels, Target, Joanns, etc. stuff

You know, I am very new at this. For a week I used stuff that I bought at the local stores. Then I ordered wax and wicks and scents from Peak. The difference is unbelievable, the ease of production is better, and the cost of shipping and so on is not even noticible when you view and smell the final product. :yay: I wish there was some way to tell all us new candle crafters to go for the good stuff........FIRST! :2cents: Or to put up a sign in these establishments that says, "Don't Buy" :tongue2: Guess not!

Anyway, I thank all of you for your comments and help in the past couple of weeks. You have no idea how much help you have been to me. :highfive:

Merry Christmas to all! santa cool

Be careful about some of the stuff from ebay as well. There are several legitimate and good suppliers on there, but I had to learn the hard (and very expensive) way about some of the individuals.

I have gotten some very good supplies from ebay, so please don't think that I'm saying all of the sellers are bad. I just had to learn to ask the right questions about the source of certain items, etc. Actually, I hooked up with some of my favorite supplers there.

I will never buy FO from anyone but Peak again.

That's kind of a harsh stand to take. You'll seriously miss out on some fabulous FO's with that take on things. Sure, you might get some junkers from other places.. but to stop and say you'll never try anything from anyone besides Peaks is just flat out silly.

That's kind of a harsh stand to take. You'll seriously miss out on some fabulous FO's with that take on things. Sure, you might get some junkers from other places.. but to stop and say you'll never try anything from anyone besides Peaks is just flat out silly.

While I dearly love Peaks and their FO, I have to agree about missing out if you stick with one supplier. I get mine from many different places and very glad I do because I would have missed out on some awesome stuff that Peaks doesnt carry. When I try a new supplier, I do buy 1oz sizes to see how much I will like them, then if I am pleased, I order the bigger sizes.

I was just thinking that, GG. Get out of my head.

I actually did R/D for about 6 months before I bought ANYTHING. Then about another year of hard core testing of different types of products before I sell it to the public.

Heck, it can take me 6 months to just test a single scent. I'm a little OCD in that regard.

Lots of reading, just on this board, will give you lots of info regarding suppliers. Peaks is awesome, with that I will agree, but there are many suppliers that carry different and unusual scents and supplies that are awesome! Please take some time to read the back posts and you will see that it has been said many times, many ways, go to candle suppliers for your supplies, not the local Michaels (or craft store). It will also give you lots of info for wicks, colors, scents, jars, and much much more.Before I started making candles I read for hours every day, made notes, figured out what I wanted to try first, what I needed and some basic instructions. Made it easy to make a good product when you have the information you need.Glad you found Peaks.....they have awesome products and great cs!!

No, we all don't. Some of us research like fools before making a purchase. :D

For months even. ;)

Well lots of us hehe:) It was my husbands idea to make candles, if it wasnt for him buying a kit I probally would have never thought of it. I bought good stuff as soon as I found this site tho!:grin2:

I understand what your saying but I have to agree with wild on this one. I have tried many many suppliers and I wanted strong FOs that I would be proud to pass on to my customers. I have been taken for a ride many many times---to a very expensive tune---so we just learned how to manufacture them ourselves. Now, if someone else has a FO I have never heard of I will try it from time to time. It just always brings me back to ours. I'm not saying that ours are the best but it's just what I prefer.

I also took the research route before starting. I saw some of the stuff from Michael's et al. However, after I did my research I started out with Peak and am waiting for my first candle ever to cool AS WE SPEAK...its driving me nuts. I read books, surfed the web for more hours than anyone should trying to find information on candle making. I finally made my decision to get at Peak starter kit..but had to continue doing research..a few weeks later I found this site with good reviews on Peak and thats where I have started. Can I put the candle in the fridge already...if I get it out of the mold, I can make another candle tonight!!!

Ya all are lucky lol! There weren't sites like this or other places back when I started lol! I had to go from what I read in books, but I personally feel diving in and just doing is the best form (helps to know what you're doing though first, granted!)

As for not using these places etc. ... it's what I started with. I didn't have a hangup with the waxes or the additives or even the wicks way back when. Not even the colors, but I wasn't thrilled about the scents. Went nuts on the molds ... and then I found the Big Daddies lol ... and requested catalogs and then ordered as if everything would be gone tomorrow.

I agree. I personally I love a lot of Peaks FO's but there are so many different varieities. I am a big fan of BCN,BCS,MC, JS and some of NG because they can tell you before you buy it if it throws well in soy. I received a sample of Strawberry FO from Peaks and tossed it because it had such a chemical smell OOB and in a candle. My husband and kids hated it. I can honestly say a lot of their fruit smells didn't do it for me. Their Black Raspberry Vanilla is great though and several others.

I'm a big Peak's fan. They were the 1st supplier I got quality FOs from and what a difference that makes. But so much depends on your wax, additives, etc. That's why it is always wise to start with the 1 oz sample bottles of any new FO. Like you I started with Michaels waxes. Their FOs are on my biggest rip off list. For any newbie I still would recommend a starter kit from a quality supplier like Peak.

I think scents are very subjective..I actually get nauseous pouring eggnog and any cherry scent..however, I think to limit yourself to one fragrance oil seller is a not so good idea..take for example a scent like Pink Sugar and even Cinnamon Buns...no two are exactly the same..just because it's named after the aquolina perfume..I think they all smell a bit different...just because I like ICS's Pink Sugar doesn't mean someone else would..I have four different clients that only order some version of Downy...and no two of them like the same version so I have 4 different variations of downy..from clean cotton to april fresh downy...I ended up having my own cinnamon buns hand mixed...doesn't mean everyone is going to like it but I keep several companies on hand and make sure when I send out freebies I mark which company's oil I used. There must be over a hundred versions of Rose on the market..and for me that is where I would only order from Peak..but..I order from everyone and lately am finding that I love just scents stuff...don't limit yourself..you will limit your business. If I bought 10lbs of pink dogwood from 10 different suppliers I still would only pour bittercreeks...like I said, subjective. But explore..buy as many samples as you can scoop up..that's one of the things that is great about this board...it's what sold me on Just Scent...I bought a boxful of one ozers and now there are some scents I must have on hand from them.

One warning about ebay...and I do mostly all my business on ebay...I have never once bought a bottle of liquid color and have it be any good...soap or candle..I stick with the professionals for my colors and my wicks.

Good advice to stay away from craft store supplies. :smiley2: Even if you just want to try making candles, it is still a wise decision to get quality supplies. I never went the craft store route. I purchased a kit from Cierra Candles. I did eventually learn that their wax is overpriced, but at least I started out with "real" wax. LOL

As far as sticking to one supplier, I could never do that. Peak is awesome, but so are several other suppliers! :)