sales tax

Angie W

I always add the tax at the time of sale, because I ring up each sell and can easily see what the tax is, on the print out.

At craft shows, I have attended, someone comes around and gives out envelopes to put the tax in and a list of the tax %'s example $1.00-$1.30 - .09, it lists 1 cent to $50 or so. I just program my calculator with the tax % at that show. My calculator has a tax button. Then at most shows I have been to, someone collects the tax envelopes about 1 hour before closing then they say any more sales after you turn in your tax envelope you get to keep the tax.

Then at most shows I have been to, someone collects the tax envelopes about 1 hour before closing then they say any more sales after you turn in your tax envelope you get to keep the tax.

:confused: What state are you in if I may ask. I have never heard of the venu collecting the tax...are they treating it like a giant wholesale account?

:confused: What state are you in if I may ask. I have never heard of the venue collecting the tax...are they treating it like a giant wholesale account?

The shows around here tell the vender's what the tax % is and collect it from them at the end of the show. They turn in the sales tax not the vendor. This is shows in Louisiana. I guess they want to make sure they get their taxes so they collect it.

When I first started I would add the sales tax on, but found people really didn't want to stand in line waiting for all that extra time it takes to add and collect. I now have a sign that says tax is included and I round off the numbers, so I'm not dealing with a penny here and there. It's so much easier now, people will see the price and write their check or get the exact change and not have to wait for me to figure the tax, they move along and don't hold up my sales that way.

I add it into the price of the goods. It's more convenient for the customer and for you. They won't have to wait for you to add up the tax. Plus, taxes are really bummers. Nobody wants to pay the taxes, much less wait for you to add them to their bill.

At the first show I did, I didn't have my tax ID yet so I was required to pay at the end of the show. The people putting on the show supposedly mailed it into the tax commission. I say supposedly cause my check has not gone through the bank yet--almost a month later. But since I have my ID now--tax offices slow--I will just add my show taxes in with my retail taxes.

Oh and I'm in Oklahoma and I add tax into my price at shows but not in retail.

The BEST thing I bought this year is a cash register... I drug my feet and finally got one and wish I had done it years ago. I have the tax percentage programmed so it figures it for me...also does discounts for those with a coupon. Through out the day I can just hit a button and see how much I have made in sales. Love it love it love it!

I talked to my accountant before I started selling and she said no as far as for filing taxes. I do know that for most or all craft shows you need one. They are very easy to get. Atleast in MN. Just go to IRS.com fill out the form and you get the number right away.

I talked to my accountant before I started selling and she said no as far as for filing taxes. I do know that for most or all craft shows you need one. They are very easy to get. Atleast in MN. Just go to IRS.com fill out the form and you get the number right away.

I must say.... I have never seen my state move quicker than to get me my Sales Tax ID##.. I think I had it in less than 24hrs.. :laugh2: