How long before you put the lids on?

thanks! i've made a few candles before a long time ago then quit. did it just for myself. i made just a few to start again wanted to see how they turned out but hubby's wanting more. lol was just curious on the lid thing though i wasn't sure. thanks.

I guess the only way it might hurt to put the lids on would be if somehow condensation developed but chances of that are basically not unless it's really cold. I let them set in the oven (off) till it looked like they had set up well. might try it both ways. I'm in hopes they don't sink.

I put my lids on as soon as they are set up. I don't want any of my good scent escaping my 6 oz tins and 11 oz tureens. I won't leave them uncovered overnight. Carole

The fragrance is not going to "escape" or my pillars would have no cold throw at all, and they do, after months and months.

if you are using a jar that has a tight lid, ie one that is air-tight, then you shouldn't put it on till the wax is fully hard. How do I know? Well I put my lids on when they were just setting and it caused a vacuum which caused the wax to dip. Then when I pulled the lid off, it sucked the wax back the other way and ruined the tops.

Eugenia, the great part is I can do it my way, and you can do it your way. I'll probably continue covering them as soon as they have cooled. Carole

I agree completely. The point is, it makes no difference whether you do or not. If I am making candles with lids, I put them on after 24 hours or so, or when I get around to it, LOL.

Warming you jars is silly?? I just started making candles & I was told that I had to warm my jars, otherwise the wax doesn't really stick to the sides. Which I'e already experienced, I didn't warm them enough ( I suppose) & I messed them up. Please let me knoe if I'm taking an extra step I shouldn't be. Thanks!:rolleyes2

Warming you jars is silly?? I just started making candles & I was told that I had to warm my jars, otherwise the wax doesn't really stick to the sides. Which I'e already experienced, I didn't warm them enough ( I suppose) & I messed them up. Please let me knoe if I'm taking an extra step I shouldn't be. Thanks!:rolleyes2
Warming the jars can help and is often recommended by wax manufacturers. Whether it makes a difference depends on your wax and containers and other things. Test and do what works best for you.

Warming the jars can help and is often recommended by wax manufacturers. Whether it makes a difference depends on your wax and containers and other things. Test and do what works best for you.

Yep I do not think warming them is silly at all. In fact if I could find my cam I would show you the difference (for my particular application).

Back in my early days of candlemaking, I warmed my jars, once.

For me and I say for me so no one takes this personally, there is absolutely no difference with not warming the jars. Even if it did make a difference, there is no way I'd spend time doing that. No way, no how.

If your application gives you wet spots, embrace them! 99.9% of the population doesn't know what they are, nor do they give a rats rump!

They just want a great smelling candle and one that throws all over da place!

Bea~ I am sorry I did not mean to scare you on the warming your jars thing.....You took me aback on that one.

I actually put mine on the stove to wick them and that is where my presto pot and double boiler sit so they get the radiated heat and they have always seemed fine. I have never intentionally warmed my jars, I guess I have never had a reason. Although knocking on wood...if a problem arises I will know that I should take that step. BUT ya know what if it works for you, then you do it however you wish.

I must be one of the goofiest, silliest people around, cause I warm my jars AND put my lids on as soon as my candles are set up. LOL :D

I do the same thing and have very few wet spots - I love the result. I turn on the oven, put the jars in it on a cookie sheet lined with alum foil, turn off the oven when the preheat beeps, then pour, then put them back in the oven with the lids on, and retrieve them in the morning. Oh, and I make my candles at night before bed.