Early show check-ins

Scented

How's it going or gone for those of us doing shows this weekend?

Obviously I needed to leave the booth for things to start selling lol!! At 4x the booth fee (I believe) so far ... on a break from the show so I can do my real job (a football playoff game tonight), then hauling my butt through deer-freaked territory to get back to the show ... Dunno that I like the first day of hunting season (birds only, but still!)

Already have to figure out how to make a baseball bear before the a.m. lol! But I want my Chef's to move dang it! I think they're the best ones I've done yet.

So good luck to the rest of you!! Need to find needle and thread to sew my head back on!!

First day of a two day for me as well. I did almost 5x my fee day one. No complaints here. This was a single table mind you; quite the challenge!

This one is right in my town. Got to set up on Friday and just show up today with my cash box. How sweet is that?

e

OK folks. I took a picture of the chef bear with my fancy dancy picture phone. If Scented can figure out how to post it since I sent it her you will be able to see. Lots of candle booths. The booth behind us wasn't doing so well. We talked a couple of times during the afternoon and she sounded very discouraged. Her booth was pretty fancy and looked professional but that doesn't always mean that product will sale. Sometimes it is the attitude being displayed. :wink2:

Rockin

How's it going or gone for those of us doing shows this weekend?

Obviously I needed to leave the booth for things to start selling lol!! At 4x the booth fee (I believe) so far ... on a break from the show so I can do my real job (a football playoff game tonight), then hauling my butt through deer-freaked territory to get back to the show ... Dunno that I like the first day of hunting season (birds only, but still!)

Already have to figure out how to make a baseball bear before the a.m. lol! But I want my Chef's to move dang it! I think they're the best ones I've done yet.

So good luck to the rest of you!! Need to find needle and thread to sew my head back on!!

Day 3 of my 4 day show...going well so far. I have broke even so far...but I had to get all new set up stuff as I threw all my show stuff away. So technically I am profit but not....:undecided

One more day to go...the Nebraska game hurt us today for crowds.

I did about 4x booth fee. Not horrible, but not as good as I had hoped either. With working full time and having two babies to take care of....I really busted my arse trying to get ready for this one!!! :angry2: I, too, am beginning to wonder if open houses aren't the route to go! I am sick of hauling my stuff somewhere else....let the shoppers come to ME for a change!! LOL

Went to a new for me show today. Previous yrs someone had rented out the Elks Lodge and organized the show. She didn't do it this yr so the Elks, whose ave. age is 70, decided to do it themselves. They blew the advertising. Thought just having the info on their sign out front would be enough. Only had about 250 people show up. Sure didn't have to worry about folks fighting their way through the crowd. I feel fortunate to have done 5x the booth fee. Didn't take any pics as DH (and the D doesn't stand for dear) had the camera. I will get pics next week end. I wanted to show you the new display I have for the ornies. Made up some darling snowmen and didn't sell a one. But the clamshells are finally selling. The table across from me was a very talented lady who etches glass. I'm going to try and work up a deal with her to pour wax into some cool sq. containers she etches. I am so excited about them that I poured on when I got home tonight. Will post a pic tomorrow.

We did a local show..not very profitable like always..but no travel :rolleyes2

We did about 5x our fee, but have several orders for our next big show in a couple weeks. All custom orders, but these orders will cover our booth fee so all is good!!

Scented...where were you this weekend??

I did a show at a high school yesterday. Sales were slow. Barely made my booth fee. One lady said she's considering having a few vendors at her home for an open house and wants to add me. Won't get my hopes up until she calls and gives me the date and time.

You guys are scaring me. I have my second of my three big fall/winter shows next weekend. My first one (few weeks ago) was outstanding, so I am hoping this next one will be as well. But again, I am getting nervous reading some of the results. All three shows I do this time of the year are ones that I do every year, so I think that helps a bit. People know to find me there and buy boatloads. *crossing fingers*

OY! Today wasn't any better. I just made booth fee. Quite a few people said sales were down from last year, but this was my first year there so people didn't know me yet. I roamed around a bit before the show opened today and saw someone selling 16 oz mason jars for $6! I can't compete with that! There were a couple of other candle makers with jelly jars for $4 and $5. My prices are higher, but at least my wicks are centered!

I only have one more scheduled for this year then I am kicking back and waiting on my grandbaby to show up!

We did a local show..not very profitable like always..but no travel :rolleyes2

We did about 5x our fee, but have several orders for our next big show in a couple weeks. All custom orders, but these orders will cover our booth fee so all is good!!

Scented and I were for the most part local this weekend. Yesterday was much busier that today but that is pretty much expected on a Sat/Sun show. If memory served me right there was 8 or 9 candle booths.

If I said hell would I get in trouble? ;) Way in the NE corner of the state. (And back home for a good football game, but alas, all the teams I cover are out of the playoffs ... and I'm like cheering big time, even though that's a no no, LOL!)

You guys are scaring me. I have my second of my three big fall/winter shows next weekend. My first one (few weeks ago) was outstanding, so I am hoping this next one will be as well. But again, I am getting nervous reading some of the results. All three shows I do this time of the year are ones that I do every year, so I think that helps a bit. People know to find me there and buy boatloads. *crossing fingers*

Nothing to be scared about! You'll do just awesome! The middle of the country is spend-happy lol! Just if you happen to be surrounded by like sellers (one in back, one catty corner and one in front ... ) just work harder lol!

Oh and don't pull a Scented and start counting just HOW many shows are left lol! Two next weekend, two after that, I forget how long the one is Thanksgiving weekend and then the last one ... ahhhh the one that others work and raise $ for a shelter ... and then it's over lol!

Did my one and only show for the year. Picked this one because in the past craft fairs weren't really worth it but I thought this one was bigger. But, people just weren't buying much. Not just my candles but anything. I talked to other venders and they said it was slow for them too. Plus, there were many other candle makers there. Made only $170. but at least my booth fee wasn't much so I made about 3.5 times my booth fee. But I do better with just word of mouth selling. I did give out about 80 brochures though so once i made my booth fee it's free advertising. Just don't think craft shows are worth it in my area. At least now I'm not wondering anymore. I am having my first open house soon so I hope that goes better.

So much of how well you at a show depends on if the people running the show advertised the heck out of it!

The show I've got thise weekend is Very established and very well promoted by the people who run it.

Of course it helps that all of my regular customers show up too! ;)

Then I have a show the next weekend too and I do okay there too. All local and all well promoted and established.

Fire

I have had three of five shows completed...

1) 10x booth fee

2) 32x booth fee

3) 29x booth fee

It has been an unbelievable season so far. My biggest show is coming up on Fri, Sat and Sun.

The biggest boost for me this weekend was hearing people talk about the "soap-lady" being at the craft show and how excited that they were. :D That over the sales, made my weekend.

I hope everyone else is having fun and doing well!

Jennifer

OY! Today wasn't any better. I just made booth fee. Quite a few people said sales were down from last year, but this was my first year there so people didn't know me yet. I roamed around a bit before the show opened today and saw someone selling 16 oz mason jars for $6! I can't compete with that! There were a couple of other candle makers with jelly jars for $4 and $5. My prices are higher, but at least my wicks are centered!

I only have one more scheduled for this year then I am kicking back and waiting on my grandbaby to show up!

where you at my show!!! My husband saw all the other candles and was mad cause we weren't bringing in the buckeroos. And people were even commenting on how my display, candles and smell were better. But I couldn't give them that 3 16oz jar for $20 with the off centered htp590000 wick. But all the regular vendors that have done that show for the last 15-20 years said sales were way down...so I don't feel so bad. I did get a few promising contacts out of it though. I am pleased

All this x times booth fee talk is rather misleading. What was the booth fee? $25? $250? Show fees here are high, often $100-150 per table. Last show was $110 and sales were over $700 so I was happy. If the fee were $25, it would be 30 x booth fee, LOL. In my dreams.

All this x times booth fee talk is rather misleading. What was the booth fee? $25? $250? Show fees here are high, often $100-150 per table. Last show was $110 and sales were over $700 so I was happy. If the fee were $25, it would be 30 x booth fee, LOL. In my dreams.

I have always used the booth fee because it lets people know how you are doing without posting a dollar amount. IMO- it is not misleading at all.

You are right about how much the booth fees vary....but regardless of the fee you pay the amount times your fee still shows a profit and gives a general idea to those that are inquiring about how the shows are going.

The last show I did was ok. Not Great just ok. Booth fee was $1025(This is not a misprint one thousand twenty five dollars.) this is the most I have ever paid for a show. I did 3.5 times my booth fee. Like I said it was ok but when you pay that kind of booth fee you expect to do more.

Those of you that have stores now, do you feel that you make less money now at shows?

Sorry for the sidebar, but since I opened up a storefront in 2004, I have watched my sales at shows go down the toilet - that is why we cut them out completely (except for one or two charity events we have been at for years)