Sick of crappy lids/jars

I hope someone can help me.

I've been experimenting with a more "prim" look and have been getting different jars and lids but I am so mad that either the jars have seems, are thin, or the lids which are supposed to fit basically fall off, or if they are supposed to be "rusty" they seem painted brown instead. I am just not having good luck with finding what I want and am tired of wasting money.

I am looking for good, thick 8 and/or 16 ounce jelly jars with no seams and no decorative elements.

I am also looking for rust or zinc (or silver) or black lids for them BUT I want the primitive style. (Laura just posted a pic with a prim lid at http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34528 ). I have gotten some, but they simply do NOT stay on.

Does anyone know if the jelly jars and prim lids at BCN are good and work together?

TIA

I don't know of any JJ that is seamless. I don't think you will find a real rusted lid only the panted. If you want the real rust you will have to do them yourself of find someone that can do them.

There are 2 methods to make a rusty lid...

1 - Soak the lids in a mild acid solution (vinager may work, but might not be strong enough). When you soak them they should not touch, they need the solution to etch the metal surface, stir them around in the solution. This soaking takes about 1 day sometimes a little longer. Rinse solution off of lids than lay out lid to dry. They will began to rust in a few days but not as a solid color. Most likely in spots.

2 - Use the faux rust paint kit. It contains real metal powder in the paint. First you paint the lids, let dry then brush on the rust solution, this will rust the metal in the paint. You can get the rust paint kit at Craft Stores but you only get a small size for the price. Here is one place I found just Google faux rust paint http://www.prismaticpainting.com/detail.lasso?product=MM-305&type=Paint

Good Luck

I use the zinc lids from BCN and am very happy with them. I do remember one time I had a problem putting a lid on but in retrospect I can not remember if it was the lid or the jar. Nice thing about the lids from BCN is that they don't have a sticker on the inside of the lid (the first lids I bought from a different supplier did). Having to peel the "Made in China" off each lid was a PITB, not to mention the sound of my nail on the lid was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Haha...was thinking the same thing...I understand Henry and that's why I went to GL's 70/30 and couldn't be happier with appearance...come over to the dark side and enjoy your libbey status jar once again :tongue2: .

:wink2:

The really funny thing is I'm now full circle with container wax right back to where I was over two years - good ol' KY125. I've just not found any soy's or container paraffin I liked completely (no hate mail please) so I'm just gonna deal with it and use that - which I always thought was one of the best "regular" soys IMO.

I don't know of any JJ that is seamless.

Maybe you are right - because I did pull out a couple really thick Kerr jars I had and there were seams on those too - but not nearly as obvious. (Glass on them is MUCH thicker though than what I have recently got).

I don't have any experience with rusty lids - just the candle pans, etc. but I did get some apothecary lids that were "real" rust so I just assumed some place would sell the ones for the mason/jelly jars also.

Thanks very much also for the heads up on the rust paint kit I'm thinking that may come in handy for many things.

:wink2:

The really funny thing is I'm now full circle with container wax right back to where I was over two years - good ol' KY125. I've just not found any soy's or container paraffin I liked completely (no hate mail please) so I'm just gonna deal with it and use that - which I always thought was one of the best "regular" soys IMO.

Wierd - I've just gone back to KY125 too. Been through Joy, Joy/Soy, CB Advanced, tested GL70/30 and CB135 and have found that "good ol' KY125" burns cleaner, scents stay truer, and is just more reliable in general for me. This is one of the first waxes I used. I've quit coloring my candles too so I don't have frost issues and use a more colorful label instead. I really like how they look with the brown kraft labels.

The rusty Mason lids from BCN are nice. They are really rusted, in fact if I don't wipe them out inside I'll get rust specs on top of my candles. A little pricey though - I think I paid $10.60 for 12 the last time I ordered but they are cute. I don't like the apothecary lids they have now. They have these cheesy plastic fitments that look like they've been cut with a scissors. I get my Mason jars from the grocery store or Walmart. They have Kerr on one side but the other is smooth for a label and no shipping!

He's gone country, look at them boots....... :laugh2: