Wood Wick Candle--Not Impressed

Tara

I was at Cracker Barrel yesterday and bought one of those wood wick candles just out of mere curiousity and I am not impressed at all. It's scented Cotton Blossom which they call Cotton Fields or something like that. This has been burning all day---12 hours!!! Do they not test these things or what? The only thing is does is crackle like a fire but doesnt impress me at all.

post-100-139458411002_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I think Kerry told me she saw them last week at Cracker Barrel. I'm really not sure how they would test them unless the "wood wicks" come in different sizes. It's obvious by your pic that they aren't worth the money. That's a complete waste of wax and container for a "crackle" sound. I can get that by lighting my fireplace. Thanks for sharing Tara.

OMG, I was in Cracker Barrel this morning and just out of habit and curiosity I walked over to check out the candles. I'm standing there looking at these wood wick candles thinking bad thoughts to myself and shaking my head when these 2 women walk up and start going on and on about how much they love their wood wicks and just HAVE to have more! At 21.99 and 15.99 a pop, they are just raving about how awesome they were.

I absolutely had to walk away...I went to DH and told him how bad I wanted to smack those women, and then hand them a business card...lol Great way to new customers right? They obviously don't care about quality product so why would they care about quality service :rolleyes2

Anyway, I apologizing for hijacking your thread!

I think they're just a fad and will disappear completely one of these days.

I could not stand the suspense any longer and broke down today and bought one too. I must say the size of the melt pool vs time burning was impressive. Mine is burning very nicely with a nice throw.

I know everyone has tried to figure out what the wick is made of but no one has mentioned the little wisps of smoke that comes from them. It is not a "soot" type smoke but almost a "mist".

I am really enjoying the small crackle and scent.

I did the same thing...went to Cracker Barrel and bought the smaller size one. Lit it and it kept going out after about an hour. The scent throw was fine while it was burning, but since it wouldn't stay lit, I gave up and put it on my candle warmer. I did notice the "mist like" effect it had while it was actually burning, but wasn't too impressed, as it wouldn't stay lit. I also had a lady walk in next to me and say that she loved wood wicks and wouldn't burn anything else. What is wrong with these people? I gave her my business card and told her she would better get her money's worth from a hand crafted (and tested) candle.

My mom bought 2 of these. She was wondering how good they would be. They are expensive!! She gave me one to try. It smelled good, this one burned fine, even all the way. But I still dont think they are worth what they are charging for them. I dont think most people could afford them.:sad2:

Just take the candle and the receipt up there and ask for the gift shop manager. They'll take it back, trust me. ;)

Also, I'd call CB's guest relations department and raise hell about a shitty product. This is one company that will listen to you at least.

Unfortunately, these candles were put into a test market for several months before they decided to give them to all stores. Apparently they did rather well. Personally, I think the buyers were smoking crack on this decision.

I have burned mine for 6 hours now.

Never has reached a full melt pool.

I keep getting whiffs of a fireplace smell. I am guessing the wick here.

The scent was much stronger the first burn. Now I can only smell it if I am right on top of it and this is the BIG one. Sitting next to it I should be blown away!

Edited to add: The crackle sound is almost non-existent now too!

I'm glad to find this thread.

I've had reps trying to sell them to me, but I wasn't interested because I thought they were too gimmicky. I was at a show where they had one burning and I wasn't impressed with it, but I thought maybe it was just me because I've read posts on some retail forums where some shop owners say they are just great.

It sounds like I made the right decision.

Wow, I finally got a response and here it is:

They obvoiusly didn't read my email very well. They are telling me to burn it for at least 4 hours---I let that sucker burn for over 12 hours and still didn't get a melt pool. Then they say to trim the wick--the wick was so small and struggling there was nothing to trim. Not to mention it took them almost 10 days to answer my email. LOL

We apologize that you are having a problem with your WoodWick

candle. We would like to assure you that we use only the finest

ingredients available, and honestly try to make the highest quality

candles possible. We extensively test burn candles from every batch to

make sure they are burning properly.

A WoodWick candle is of a different nature than a candle with a

cotton wick. It takes a little getting used to burning a candle with a

wick of this material. It is not common to experience these problems

you've described in burning these candles, so please consider our

instructions to ensure a more positive experience in the future:

We recommend trimming all of the black ash off of the wick to produce a

better burn. This has worked very well in keeping the candle lit.

Please trim against the wick to expose as much of the fresh wood as

possible. (You should see no black on the wick for the best results.)

Another factor that may cause the flame to "suffocate" is the wax

surface. You should not extinguish the candle until it has had an

opportunity to burn to the outside of the glass (typically 3-4 hours

each burn). You should also make sure that the wax surface is flat all

the way across to the glass. If you have any tunneling of the candle,

you should remove the excess wax and start over with a flat surface.

This will help more oxygen get to the flame.

You should not be burning the candle near any drafts, windows, air

vents, etc. This could cause the candle to burn improperly and may be

dangerous.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the

future. You may also call the number below for immediate assistance

Monday-Friday 9am-5:30pm EST. Thank you for your time. Have a

wonderful day!

Sincerely,

~~~~~~~~~

Virginia Candle

Customer Service