MY MOLDS SMELL LIKE SMOKE!! HeLp!!!

What the seller did was deceitful, but most likely you can not dispute it either. Personally, I would consider them damaged at the very least. If the smoke prevents you from useing the molds as intended, then she sold you a defective product. One of those "buyer beware" things. Hope you can work up a concotion to get the stench out. Sounds like there are some super ideas here. I would test them out a few more times and see if the odor lessens with each batch. Don't give up the battle :wink2:

Thanks for sharing too, now I know to ask EVERY TIME if it is a non-smoking home.

I personally would contact paypal if you paid that way, file a dispute with them and ebay. You have nothing to loose. She may not have said that it was a smoke house. But she didn't say it was either. IMO I think that is considered to have with held information she should have shared. What if you were highly allergic and had a really bad reaction.... I would give it a try, you have nothing to loose.

How assinine is that?....The seller did not mis-represent anything. BUYER'S need to inquire if such information is not stated. What she has to loose is any hint of COMMON SENSE. :rolleyes2

So sorry you had a bad experience. :(

I had to stop using a supplier because of a similar issue. Every box that arrived from her reeked of ciggies when opened -- even the packing paper. You can imagine what the organza bags smelled like.

I brought it to her attention, and she told me I was the only person who every had complained. Needless to say, I won't complain again, cuz I won't be ordering from her.

IMO this would only be valid for a dispute if the seller stated they were kept in a smoke free environment and then the buyer received them smelling of smoke. If someone is highly allergic to something they should always check with the seller before purchasing items from an auction site (or anywhere, for that matter).

I am not alergic to smoke, and it usually does not bother me, however these are so bad that the tarts come out smelling like smoke. I know I should have read the description closer, this is totally my fault. I was just looking for some odor removing tips. Thanks everyone!

So sorry you had a bad experience. :(

I had to stop using a supplier because of a similar issue. Every box that arrived from her reeked of ciggies when opened -- even the packing paper. You can imagine what the organza bags smelled like.

I brought it to her attention, and she told me I was the only person who every had complained. Needless to say, I won't complain again, cuz I won't be ordering from her.

Yikes! Share her name please! LOL I don't want get stuck with something from there! LOL

How assinine is that?....The seller did not mis-represent anything. BUYER'S need to inquire if such information is not stated. What she has to loose is any hint of COMMON SENSE. :rolleyes2

I agree that the seller did not misrepresent anything. The description said nothing about being a smoke free home. I just didn't read the description carefully. Just looking for odor removing tips. Thanks everyone!

But they also withheld information and didn't tell that it was a smoke enviroment. I won a case once on that. The box alone smelled like it was living at Phillip Morris plant and I disbuted it and they made her refund me, they did make me send it back. Paypal gave me back the shipping that I paid in the original auction but I had to pay to send it back, which was fine.

NOW anything I buy, I email and ask, no matter what it is, even a battery.

It won't hurt to try but a little time

IMO this would only be valid for a dispute if the seller stated they were kept in a smoke free environment and then the buyer received them smelling of smoke. If someone is highly allergic to something they should always check with the seller before purchasing items from an auction site (or anywhere, for that matter).

I disagree that what the buyer did was deceitful....A lot of smokers don't even think about the fact that something in their home would smell like smoke to a non smokers....It is entirely possible that she had no idea that the molds held the smell....As a smoker I can say that I can't smell smoke on most things. I would think clothes, curtains, and other cloth items would retain the smell but I never would have thought a candle mold would.

Just my 2 cents

I'm wondering what kind of material the molds are made out of???

Some of them stink to high heaven, until they're used several times (Like the yellow rubber ones)...

Can't believe cigarette smoke would stick like that to them, without something like vinegar being able to remove the smell.

I had that same problem recently. I made a few super-scented candles and actually left them sit in the mold to try and kill the smell. NO success yet! How disappointing. I didn't think to ask if they smoked....and my mold smells like a filthy ashtray/smelly basement fragrance! Yuk! :lipsrseal

• 5 months later...

I got the same thing, from a ebay seller, with tart molds I purchased.

I took some baking soda and added some smoke eliminator Fo, that I got from NG..and I let the molds sit in this, in a ziplock baggie for 2 days. All the smoke smell was gone.:yay:

I don't think I'd waste the time disputing it with paypal. There is no law or rule that states you must specify if it comes from a smoke free house, warehouse or wherever. Most will state it out of "courtesy" to non smokers. You bought it used and that's the risk you take when you buy used items. I do know that walmart sells a spray called smoke away. You can usually find it either in the air freshener isle or in the automotive section where the car fresheners are. It's a water based spray. Or, you can get 2 baggies. 1 bigger than the other. Place a fair amount of baking soda in the larger baggie. Insert the mold in the smaller one. Do not close the baggie that holds the mold. Place the open mold baggie in the larger baking soda baggie. Zip the larger one closed only. Wait a day or 2 and your problem should be solved.

Hmmm. I thought I was the only one this happened too. I never thought to ask and when I received a silicone mold recently it reeked of cigarettes. Soon as I picked up the package I thought "Oh Boy". Sure enough even the candles out of the mold smell of cigarettes. :(

Glo

Yep, same thing. Bought used silicone soap/candle molds and ceramic tart warmers off ebay and CT...ended up throwing everything out cause I couldn't get the smell out of all of it. Big reason why I cut way down on buying from anywhere but regular suppliers anymore. I've thrown away too much money on supplies that I received that were un-usable. In the end if you end up having to throw the stuff away you're not saving so best just to buy new.

How does a silicone mould get to smell THAT badly of cigarette smoke???

I smoked up until a few days ago (I had a smoke while I had a cold and it tasted like pants! And I thought, "why am i doing this" and haven't since) and although I know that non smokers are more sensitive to this smell, i still don't understand how a mould could smell this much! Was she using them as ashtrays LOL. But yeah, I agree that fresh air should do the trick, it does with most things.

Anjie,x.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker till 9 years ago. The day I found out I was pregnant for the 1st time is the last day I smoked. I couldn't smell cigarette smoke at all when I was a smoker but once I stopped it really does smell that bad. Now, I can't believe that I walked around with that stale smoke smell but I know I had to have cause it was everywhere in the house.

The silicone is a bit porous and just soaks up the smell like it can the dyes. It gets embedded in the molds. Those things will even take on FOs too and there's no getting that out either after a bit.

After a bit you will be able to smell again..lol and you'll find the smoke smell is really that strong and stale. Wait till you get a whiff of the smoke/perfume &/or after shave combo....:lipsrseal

Good luck with the quitting smoking.:highfive: