Individual Tarts or Clamshells?

Individual Tarts or Clamshells?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Individual Tarts or Clamshells?

• Mini-Muffin Tarts
    • Clamshells

I can't sell clam shells because of the cost. I would have to retail the 3oz clams for 3-4 dollars, and that's just too much for my customers. I sell bulk, no shrink wrap, naked wax melts. I make the 1oz size in the metal tart molds and sell them for .60 each.

So when my customers can get 3oz of wax for $1.80 verses 3-4 dollars they would rather have the bulk ones. I do include a card in each sale about how to use them and a warning.

Mine holds 3 oz and they sell for $3 each to 2/$5.

Since my "tarts" were packaged 2 per and selling for $1.50, it wasn't that big a deal to my customers to switch to clamshells. The main advantage being that you have a safe and none messy place for you and your customer to keep them while they are waiting to be sold and then burned. Tarts were too labor intensive, clamshells are a breeze to pour, label, store.

Georgia, I also sell mine 2 to a pack for $1.50. But because they are 100% soy and because they are uncolored, they tend to look "messy" after they have been handled. In fact, I used to sell 6 packs of tarts for $4.00 and they still went light hotcakes. I sell mostly all tarts in the consignment shop in town I have my candles in so I think switching would be no biggie for me. I'm thinking this is a good move.

Thanks so much everyone for the imput. I'm going to take the plung. Now the big question is where can I find these 3 oz clamshell jobbers for a reasonable price????

• 2 months later...

I just started selling my ecosoy advanced products in the middle of November. I shrink wrap them with regular food plastic wrap with a shot of heat from my heat gun and they look and smell great. The tiny muffin tarts are "flying" out the door at $1.25 each. I do have buy 13 or more for $1.00 each.

I also sell the clam shells which holds 8 squares. 3 squares are the same weight as 1 tart. I have the clam shells marked for $2.50 each. I have not sold any in the shells yet.:2cents:

I am for anyway except the clamshells! LOL I pour too hot and consistently melt the plastic!

I used the small fluted tart molds and shrink wrap them, singly or double. They look much better than the little baggies they were in. And an added bonus.....I don't melt the metal mold! LOL :D

jmho

I have both kinds of tarts, clamshells and mini muffins. I have my mini muffins packed 2 in ziploc bag for $1.25 each. MY clamshells are $2.95 each for 3 oz. i haven't sold many of those yet, but hoping to pick up in the new year. I am offering both sizes for different price ranges. The smaller ones to try out and for seasonal scents and the clams for regular scents and people that love those scents!

Steph

Georgia, I also sell mine 2 to a pack for $1.50. But because they are 100% soy and because they are uncolored, they tend to look "messy" after they have been handled. In fact, I used to sell 6 packs of tarts for $4.00 and they still went light hotcakes. I sell mostly all tarts in the consignment shop in town I have my candles in so I think switching would be no biggie for me. I'm thinking this is a good move.

Thanks so much everyone for the imput. I'm going to take the plung. Now the big question is where can I find these 3 oz clamshell jobbers for a reasonable price????

I make both the clamshells and the individual tarts, but I much prefer to make the clamshells. I just have a few friends who prefer the individual tarts, so that's why I still make them.

If you use 100% soy, though, you're not going to be able to get the cubes out of the clamshell. I wasn't sure if you were planning to switch to a different type of wax for these or not....

Just for the record, the original poster in this thread is now awol... after having taken money for a co op that didn't happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, and forgive me if it is wrong to point this out....and it still is certainly a helpfull topic to some... but I just thought I'd let ya know. This should probably put to rest or someone can start a new poll.

Just for the record, the original poster in this thread is now awol... after having taken money for a co op that didn't happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, and forgive me if it is wrong to point this out....and it still is certainly a helpfull topic to some... but I just thought I'd let ya know. This should probably put to rest or someone can start a new poll.

Oh that's just great. Another thief.

I make both the clamshells and the individual tarts, but I much prefer to make the clamshells. I just have a few friends who prefer the individual tarts, so that's why I still make them.

If you use 100% soy, though, you're not going to be able to get the cubes out of the clamshell. I wasn't sure if you were planning to switch to a different type of wax for these or not....

Of course you can use pure soy wax~ Just not pure soy container wax. You have to add 25% soy votive wax to the mix and then pour into the clamshells.

I know this because that's how I do soy wax clamshells and it works great!

Fire:cool2: