Homemade Wooden Soap Box

tyru007

Must be the engineer in me, but I always have to find a little different way to do stuff. Two springs hold the whole mold together and takes about 10 seconds to put together/take apart. Everything is slotted to be liquid tight. Pine was little soft, so I made it out of oak. Already made two batches in it and works very well.

SoapBox2.JPG

Unmolding is very quick.

I tried several methods for lining this mold. I tried making a freezer paper liner, but this was a lot of effort and tended to sag into the mold and i didn't want to grease the sides to get it to stay.

Simplest method was to stretch a piece of plastic wrap over each of the side pieces and tape. Then lay a single piece of plastic wrapover the bottom and two ends. When you put the side pieces in the grooves and pull up the ends pieces, the bottom and ends stretch and smooth and all the joints tighten up and are liquid tight. Takes only about 1 minute to line the mold. No forms, no measuring, no cutting and pasting/taping, no greasing the inside.:thumbsup:

Now that looks like log molds could be easier. Nice job.

I have also made a slotted slab mold to try out. Here's what I find:

Logs molds tend to hold the heat better than slab mold.

Slab molds are easier to stack.

You need to pour slab molds at a much thinner trace to get a uniform thickness than you do with a log mold. Thus a log mold tends to give you a much more uniform a flat bar all the way around. However, sometimes having one side bumpy tends to give the soap a little character

Harder to get the soap out of the log mold compared to slab molds, unless the log mold can be taken apart or broken down.

It's easier to line a slab mold.

Wow, that is really nice. I would love the plan for that because I make my own as well. Did you get the springs from Home Depot?

The springs are standard door springs from any hardware store. Just note that this is not an easy mold to make. Each part is slotted and routered to fit together at right angles with tolerance so as to be liquid tight without having to pound together each part.