When you started to make cp soap?

Paulette

What type of mold did you use for your first batch?. wood mold? and what size ? I have ordered my scale, lye, and some other things but I have to get a mold yet. Then I will be ready to try my first batch. May need someone to guide me thru the first time. thanks

When I first started making soap I did HP because I couldn't imagine waiting another 4 weeks to see if it really worked, lol. For that I used 12" peices of PVC downspout from Lowe's. (you could use that for CP as well, just be sure one end is sealed very well with plastic wrap and duct tape) By the time I decided to try CP, I had bought wooden molds. There are lots of things you can use though. Rubbermaid drawer inserts/separaters from the supermarket work well. I use the square ones for test batches. I even use the bottom of half-gallon plastic milk cartons to make very small, highly colored batches. I then shave those down and add the shavings to an uncolored batch to make it more interesting.

There are many things that you can use for a mold today :P rather than waiting to order one. Good luck with your CP!!

:wave: Nice to see you Paulette~~I was lucky when the bug hit me...EBCandles was selling alot of stuff in the classifieds and picked up a 3# wood log mold from her....havent used anything but that since I started and I now have about 18 batches under my belt!! Welcome to the world of soap lady :D

I started with and still use 8 lb wooden molds. I like the size of bar I end up with. I also found some 4 lb log molds on ebay that are a thick plastic. They were advertised as a no liner mold, but I ended up with 4 lbs of soap stuck in them. Had to cut them out with a knife, and ruined the soap. Now I line them too.

I started with milky way molds. They are slab molds which hold 2 lbs of soap and the surface is scored, so once you take out your soap, you can just cut along the lines. But like the others said, you can easily find household items to use as a mold without specially buying one.

Hey Paulette!!

Leslie set me up with a kit that would make something like 2 batches. She also included one of those wooden 3 lb molds from Target, but I've seen Bunny make soap in anything since then.

We've also gotten other wooden molds. I guess I like woodies :D

When I finally decided to make my cp after many months of reading (lol) I actually bought a kit online that had everything included with the exception of the lye. I don't think that place is in business anymore, but it came with a little 3lb wooden mold, 4 oils (enough to make at least 2 batches of soap), 4oz of soap safe FO and a booklet of instructions with about 15 recipes as well. All for about $30.00!! :) It was a steal, and I wish the place was still in business.

I still have that mold and I still use some of the recipes. Everything else is long gone! lol

Anyway, to answer your question (sorry, I got a little side tracked) for me it was easier to start with a wooden log mold.

After I got the hang of what I was doing, and the feel for it, I use many different molds.

Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun. :)

Made my first few batches in a series of shoe boxes. Then finally bought two log molds on eBay and finally settled on a couple of large slab molds. I am using the log molds again once in a while, but thank goodness I'll never have to use a shoe box again! :grin2:

Let me tell you, my first few batches were hideous! I started soaping in 2000 learning from reading books and manually calculating lye needed for each batch. But once my common sense kicked in:grin2: and I realized what I was doing, I poured my first batch into a tupperware container; then graduated to a shoe box!:grin2: ( I remember distinctively, it was a Nine West, size 8 1/2 shoe box lined with parchment paper and I thought I was the sh*t!) At the time I didn't know forums like this existed! If i would've known, I would have used a wooden mold!:laugh2:

My first batch of soap I made in a plastic tray mold that I got with a kit from TDF. I made a 5lb batch of soap!! :laugh2: I then bought a small wood log mold and liked it so much I bought an even bigger one. I now use my Kelsie mold and just love it.

My first batch of CP was made in a Rubbermaid drawer organizer. I used the larger rectangular one and used 2 lbs. of oils. I lined with freezer paper, but was a PITA because of the slightly slanted sides of the drawer organizer.

I think my first mold was a drawer organizer. I graduated to a shoe box lid next for a make-shift slab mold, and then used the end of a flat flat-rate box for a log mold.

Now I have a Misty Creek 18 bar mold.

This just struck me as so funny! :laugh2: It's been what, 2 mos at the most? You should be able to remember back that far with no problem.

This just struck me as so funny! :laugh2: It's been what, 2 mos at the most? You should be able to remember back that far with no problem.

I remember what I used, I just am not sure what the thing was designed to be - it was just something I found in the basement when I moved in here! I think it was a drawer organizer but it could have been for something completely different like a funky modern olive dish or something! Who knows! LOL

I also found some 4 lb log molds on ebay that are a thick plastic. They were advertised as a no liner mold, but I ended up with 4 lbs of soap stuck in them. Had to cut them out with a knife, and ruined the soap.

I have the same problem. :( I'm hoping spraying them with Pam will work. It's odd though, because my first couple of batches in them didn't stick.

And I started CP with a wooden box from the Wal-Mart craft section. :D