Lets talk Wick Stickems

Yes on the glass thing. Sometimes there is a residue on the glass, and even dust can inhibit the stickums. Swabbing the bottoms with alcohol can help but it's not 100%. If you wash them out with soap, you should have no troubles.

Be sure you are pressing them down firmly as well.

I get mine from Cierra Candles. Generally they are well behaved, except in the winter, where I have to heat the jars first or else they won't stick. It helps if you press down on them firmly and then let them sit for a few minutes before pouring into them.

I tried Tacky Wax at first and the same thing happened. A couple people here told me not to use that or wick stickums. They told me to use hot glue. I got a small glue gun from Michael's for $.99 and the glue is cheap too. The wicks never come up, however, if you want to re-use the jar, you can pop them up pretty easy once the candle is done.

I spray all my jars with alcohol before I use them and wipe them out with a paper towel.

Yeah, that's what I've ended up doing, too. Kind of a PITA. I guess I was just fortunate enough that I never had to do it before. But with the current batch of jars that I have now I have to EVERY single jar. :mad:

I used hot glue until I marathon burned a small pure soy candle that I had poured into a flowerpot votive holder. When the burn got real close to the bottom the tab came loose from the glass and the wick slid over to one side.

I had read on another thread here at candletech about using silicone. I went to lowes and bought a caulking tube of GE silicone II in a blue colored tube and it has window and door written on it. I also got the clear one as I didn't want color. I already had a caulking gun so didn't have to buy that.

This stuff can be a little bit of a pain to work with, but it holds my wicks in place. I used it to stick my wick in the jar and then let it set up over night. I always give it plenty of time to set. Hot glue sets in minutes, this stuff doesn't.

I poured another candle just like the other one. marathon burned it to the bottom. I even tilted the container and it didn't come loose. I blew out the flame when there was nothing left but melted wax and the last little bit of wick and the tab left. The jar was quite hot. Even then I had to use a pair of

pliers to pull the tab out of the jar.

Sold me on silicone. The pain about it is when using the caulking gun it sometimes wants to keep running out of the end. With practice, I've gotten better at it but, still slip up and get too much sometimes. Also after not using it for awhile the stuff sets up in the tip of the tube and I have to take a small nail and poke a hole through the stuff to get it to flow again.

It's worth the effort to me though because I feel more confident that my jar candles are safer from using it.

It must have been from reading this thread that got me to try it. I think that there are several other threads on the subject.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28069&highlight=silicone+II

When I first started with my candle making I used wick stickums and I had trouble with some coming up so I just got the hot glue gun out went and got a bunch of BIG bags of sticks and I 3 yrs later I am still using the glue gun and I have 4 sticks left of last bag...LOL I hate to think how many I used now..

Anyway I love the glue gun and it cheap way to go.. Good luck

The pain about it is when using the caulking gun

Try the small tube that looks like toothpaste. It is a smidge more expensive but it is much easier to work with. Also, don't cut a hole in the plastic pointed tip, just unscrew it to use. No dried out gloop that way.

Washing jars takes too much time. Come on people TIME = MONEY!

Dat

I've been using BCN's wick stickums for a long time and have always loved them. I have recently started buying my jelly jars locally though (instead of from BCN), and I notice the Kerr jellies are slightly more rounded on the bottom, so the wick stickums do not stick NEARLY as well as when I was using BCN's jars. GRRR... I'm back to using my hot glue gun now. I prefer the convenience of the stickums, but they aren't sticking great on these new jars.

Liz D.