Visual Basic for Candles

What screen resolution do you use?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What screen resolution do you use?

• 800 x 600
    • 1024 x 768 or larger
    • Whats Resolution?

Hi all,

At my day job (Cabinet Shop) I am developing software to track inventory,sales,orders,estimates and such. My wife said to me why dont you do something so we can track our candle sales and invetories. :highfive: (Light went off) I never even thought of it. So what I'm asking is for you guys and gals to do is give me some ideas on what you would want to track and what cool things you would like to see. Once I get it done I will put it up in stages with a free download so you can help me test it out. What do you think.

:yay: I LOVE this idea -- I have been using an excel sheet to track how much we pour of what scents --- to get my best sellers.

Also using an excel sheet to track my " cost " of my candles cost of jar - cost of wax - cost of color - cost of scent - cost of label - etc

thanks so much

Terry

Ahh have you seen the soapmaker? It would be great to run an inventory of what's in stock, what's made, costs (though most of us have that configured lol), but like even figure out what it costs to make a label on your own.

Batch costs, like if you make multiple things (tarts, votives, pillars or whatever) from x-amount of wax.

But for instance, wicking and color come to mind. I'm just shooting from the hip. Fun idea. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Great Idea! Could you make sure that you put paper towels and

wax paper on the list? I have been fortunate my ex-husband had paper

from his work. But, now I have run him dry. That is probably the only thing that has run dry, but that is another story.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd love to be able to keep track of sales by event, with a way to note booth fee so I can decide whether to do that event/show again the following year.

Also, inventory (wouldn't it be neat if as you entered inventory, labels for the item would be ready to go) tracking, purchases, all the stuff you've probably already thought of. :)

Hello Chris, I think its wonderful that you would do this! I also wanted to say Hi Neighbor! I am in Booneville, a hop, skip and a jump away from you!! When I started investigating about making candles, there was no one around, now, Im finding candles in alot of our local stores that were made by Mississippians! DH and I are possibly considering moving to Rienzi due to the high county taxes in my county. Maybe we can get together sometime and talk SHOP! LOL I would love to meet you and your wife!! PM or Email me sometime!!

God Bless,

Lynn

You know "user" is a four letter word. :P I have found this post very funny as I am a programmer/analyst in the grown up world. All the comments sound just exactly what it is like at work. How about throwing in the size of the kitchen sink in there. This is just tooooooooooooooooooo funny.:yay:

How about throwing in the size of the kitchen sink in there. This is just tooooooooooooooooooo funny.:yay:

Good Idea then we can find out how much wax will fit in the sink if you turned it into a candle. I like it.:P

Just Kidding....

I think its great to see people get excited. I asked for a "Wish List" and thats what I expected. You should know that people who do not program dont think the same way as those who do. They see something as cool and we see it as 4000 lines of code. So please dont be to harsh.;)

Do you use VB,C++,C#...?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd love to be able to keep track of sales by event, with a way to note booth fee so I can decide whether to do that event/show again the following year.

Oh I would like that feature!! We're two weeks from a show every weekend (maybe two weeks off this time instead of the three from last year.) That would be a very handy feature IMO.

I think its great to see people get excited. I asked for a "Wish List" and thats what I expected. You should know that people who do not program dont think the same way as those who do. They see something as cool and we see it as 4000 lines of code. So please dont be to harsh.;)

Do you use VB,C++,C#...?

You are right, they do think differently. I am only harsh on the "users" that I work with, way too demanding.

No, I don't program in VB, C++ or C#. I have starting to learn VB.net, but other stuff needs to be done and I don't seem to have the time to get to it. Then when I am at home, I either just want to do candles or play golf. I don't want to do any coding. I work on a mid-range system so PC languages are beyond me.

Crazy as it might sound, I think programming is very creative, I guess that is why I like candlemaking. There is so much to it, like programming, but yet very creative.:cool2:

One thing I learned about systems while still a part of the outside working world is you won't ever get it unless you ask for it. You may still not get it but hey you tried.

My 4 letter User wish list:

retail, wholesale and consignment sales

raw materials inventory, mat'l cost, frt cost, suppliers

finished good inventory and cost of finished goods for yr end tax calculations

show sales and cost

I would love to be a tester once you have something worked up. And thank you for offering to develop something. I have always been a systems user - never a developer but I do understand how complicated it is.

Wow great responce so far. Keep them coming. Maybe we should add a poll to see what the most useful features would be.

Peggy-I'm using vb.net 2005

OK lets talk about items we buy.(Not products we make)

I have the following.

Name--(4oz Hex Jar-LS)

Vendor--(LoneStar)

Unit Price--($.60)

Shipping Cost--($.10)

Real Cost--($.70

Unit--(EA)

Item Type--(Container)

anything missing?

Items will be used to make Products

I have 20 Items per product is that enough?

Also on units I am thinking of th following.(if you need additional let me know now please)

(oz)(lbs)(ea) this will need to be set in stone so i can do calculations based on unit type.

Made good progress today.

I can add items from vendors. Then use them to make Products. Batch input products into finished goods and show a detailed listing and a summation listing. Calculates cost based off of the item setup unit cost.

If you plan on using this when it is done or test it as i release versions you will need sqlsever 2005 express(free) from microsoft

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=65212

and

dot net framework 2.0(free)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=90&p=&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f5%2f6%2f7%2f567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a%2fdotnetfx.exe

If the links dont work the program will self update when it runs.

I am setting the base resolution for 800x600 based on the poll enough people still use it to justify. I am real close to a test (by the end of the week fingers crossed) so if you want to test let me know. :wave: I would not count on it to be stable and i would not use it for accual accounting or inventory just testing. I will be putting up a new poll for feedback.

Wow great responce so far. Keep them coming. Maybe we should add a poll to see what the most useful features would be.

Peggy-I'm using vb.net 2005

OK lets talk about items we buy.(Not products we make)

I have the following.

Name--(4oz Hex Jar-LS)

Vendor--(LoneStar)

Unit Price--($.60)

Shipping Cost--($.10)

Real Cost--($.70

Unit--(EA)

Item Type--(Container)

Items will be used to make Products

I have 20 Items per product is that enough?

Also on units I am thinking of th following.(if you need additional let me know now please)

(oz)(lbs)(ea) this will need to be set in stone so i can do calculations based on unit type.

How about the actual quantity... I see units as in they were bought each, dozens, case, pallet but how about the quantity actually bought for inventory purpose? Just a thought.