Poll - Strongest Throwing Container Blend

What is your favorite Container Blend for it's Hot Throw?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Container Blend for it's Hot Throw?

• IGI 4627 (Comfort Blend)
    • IGI 4630 (Harmony Blend)
    • IGI 4786
    • J-50
    • J-223
    • Greenleaf's 70/30 Blend
    • NG Joy Wax
    • JS 123
    • JS 50/50
    • Other (if other, feel free to post your selection in the thread)

That's really hard to say because I used to use straight soy and so many scents that I liked wouldn't throw in it so I switched to a soy blend which would be Joy Wax. I got a whole lot more scents to throw in it, some very strongly, but I don't know if it was the FO itself, or the wax. I still had a few of my favorites that wouldn't throw in Joy, so I switched to J223. J223 threw very nicely for most of my FO's, but then I switched to J50 because I could get it from a supplier closer to me and saved a bunch on shipping. To be honest with you, I really can't see any real difference between J223 and J50. So, I settled on J50 and am quite happy with it.

I tested Comfort blend.. loved the hot throw, and to be honest, have not found a wax that throws as good since. I loved it, but could not stand its messiness. I currently use J223 with soy and have found that it throws awesome and is not as messy. I also tested 6006 and loved the hot and cold throw, but found it to "sweat"..(not bleed f/o) when the weather got hot. Good wax, but pretty sooty for me.( To be fair, it could have been my lack of experience and not wicking it properly). HTH..

6006 is a fantastic wax can't get it close to me anymore, right now I am using 4786 which I also love, I have never been crazy about the astor waxes, I think it is more of an appearance thing than anything else. Just personal preferece.

I use C-3 and mix it with two other soy waxes to get "my soy blend" which throws well. I use to use C-2 until the discontinued it. I use to use 6006 before it got sold and turned into a soy blend. All throw about equal but C-2 was by far the best for scent throw and quick curing.

These results are pretty neat. I'm wondering if most people that voted have tried at least three or four of these options, or if they are simply going with what they use. I only ask that, because I've tested quite a few waxes, including the 4627, J223, J50, Greenleaf's blend, and some others, and, to me, it's not really even that close in terms of hot throw. J-50 blows every wax I've ever tried, right out of the water. Again, I emphasize that this is hot throw I'm talking about. 4627 wins the cold throw race, but, in terms of hot throw, I never found it to really be all that close.

I haven't voted yet because I'm still testing waxes. So far I've tested IGI6006, IGI4360, J223, J300, a blended container wax by C&S and I'm currently testing IGI4627. My opinion is all of them have great cold throw but I haven't found any to have a knock your socks off hot throw. So far in my testing J223 is winning. I'm still testing 4627 so the jury is still out. I use quality fragrances and test in 8 oz. JJ with 1 oz. pp. I have noticed during my testing that I get a better hot throw at my office vs my house. Not sure what is up with that but I just can't seems to get any of my candles to give me a throw at home. :rolleyes2

I voted 4627 and I've tested all the usual suspects...J50, J223, J300, 4630, 4627, GL 70/30, JS 50/50, JS 123, various soys, various blends of all the above, etc. I too use quality scents from ScentWorks, Sweetcakes, etc and scent at 7.5% (yes - I do detect a noticeable difference between 6% and 7.5% so I chose to go higher).

I think J50 is a great all-around wax that is easy to use (great for beginners!)...it's what I started with and what I ended with until switching to GL 70/30 (for various reasons and am not 100% convinced I'm sticking with the GL 70/30 either) but I don't think it has nearly the hot/cold throw of 4627. I think it's so funny how we're all different and yet I'm sure each one of us thinks we're right! I know many people will argue the 6% thing and that's ok...I did my own tests and came to my own conclusions that I find a higher amount (oftentimes but not always...hence why the need to test) to be better.

Jen

For awhile, 4627 was winning that survey but it looks like the number of voters for J50 was greater (in the end) than for 4627 which makes sense. 4627 is a tricky wax to work with. Many people cannot make it work or don't like working with it (ooey gooey factor). *If* you can get 4627 to work (ie right wick combo for each fo) it makes an amazing candle (sounds like you're missing out!).

Sorry that you couldn't get 4627 to work. I like a challenge myself and don't like to give up so was able to get 4627 to work for me. And when it works...it blows J50 out of the water. But that's just my opinion. And my opinion matters just about as much as yours or anyone elses. Hence why extensive testing to find what works best for you is really the only way to go.

Jen

I agree, Sawyer's Moon...4627 truly is amazing as far as scent throw, hot and cold. It's amazing.

I am also a fan of J223 and J-50 for their ease of use...and like you mentioned, they're great waxes for beginners. I think for usability, 223 and 50 win, but for scent, 4627 Comfort Blend is wonderful!

I agree, Sawyer's Moon...4627 truly is amazing as far as scent throw, hot and cold. It's amazing.

I am also a fan of J223 and J-50 for their ease of use...and like you mentioned, they're great waxes for beginners. I think for usability, 223 and 50 win, but for scent, 4627 Comfort Blend is wonderful!

:highfive:

For awhile' date=' 4627 was winning that survey but it looks like the number of voters for J50 was greater (in the end) than for 4627 which makes sense. 4627 is a tricky wax to work with. Many people cannot make it work or don't like working with it (ooey gooey factor). *If* you can get 4627 to work (ie right wick combo for each fo) it makes an amazing candle (sounds like you're missing out!).

Sorry that you couldn't get 4627 to work. I like a challenge myself and don't like to give up so was able to get 4627 to work for me. And when it works...it blows J50 out of the water. But that's just my opinion. And my opinion matters just about as much as yours or anyone elses. Hence why extensive testing to find what works best for you is really the only way to go.

Jen[/quote']

Not really sure what I would be missing out on, as I tested all those waxes, and, the J-50 was simply the best in terms of hot throw, and, it wasn't all that close. I've made no real reference to ease of use. That wasn't and still isn't, a concern, as my first concern is the quality of candle. J-50 was simply a better throwing wax.

Again, I agree with the survey and, you made reference to it "winning the vote" however, it was a survey, not a vote. They didn't count number of votes at all.

I totally get your point, but, clearly you don't get mine. I formed my opinion, and yet because you felt the 4627 threw better (that is YOUR opinion, and far from being fact), you felt that I was "missing out." My point is, in my mind, I'm not missing out, because I tested both of them (and many others) and the J-50 won, hands down.

You really should give the J-50 another shot. Poor thing. You are really missing out, you know?

I'm not missing out on using the 4627 any more than you are missing out on using the J-50. Just as you could use this poll to back up your opinion, I could use the previously cited survey to back up mine, but, in the end, they are both matters of opinion. Nobody here cares what you or I think. Each and every person should test for themself.