How do you keep the wax in your pour pot hot?

I use a hot pour wax, melt it in my Presto to about 185, then put it in a pyrex measuring pot. I have a hard time keeping my wax hot enough by the time I'm through stirring in fragrance and getting the right color. Any ideas?

I use a hot pour wax, melt it in my Presto to about 185, then put it in a pyrex measuring pot. I have a hard time keeping my wax hot enough by the time I'm through stirring in fragrance and getting the right color. Any ideas?
If it's paraffin, heat your wax to 200 instead of 185.

Like Demenshia says, it's also good to have a double boiler going for temperature adjustments. You might want to use a metal pour pot for that.

Toastmaster has a double burner hot plate that has the solid heat coil. I like them better then the ones that look like a coil and get red hot in color. These are safer in my opinion since if you drip wax on the red hot coils it can poof right away where the one I use you can just wipe it off before the wax flashes.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1153944409/ref=sr_1_2/602-9694408-8252620?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00005B6YS

Bruce

Toastmaster has a double burner hot plate that has the solid heat coil. I like them better then the ones that look like a coil and get red hot in color. These are safer in my opinion since if you drip wax on the red hot coils it can poof right away where the one I use you can just wipe it off before the wax flashes.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1153944409/ref=sr_1_2/602-9694408-8252620?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00005B6YS

Bruce

I also prefer this kind I have had mine for about 2 years.

I have an old crock pot type thing..it sits on a hot plate to heat it up..I use the hot plate..but the pouring pitcher does not sit directly on it..since it is kinda curved..just the edges sit on it..so it keeps it just hot enough. When it finally dies I don't know what I am going to do. :undecided

Think I need to start hunting garage sales now for one..lol

I do what Top says. Heat the wax to 200, pour it into my pouring pot, clip a thermometer onto the side of the pot and add fo and colour when the mixture cools to 185-190, pour at 180-185 Works well. :grin2: HTH.

Ok this might be a really stupid question but I usually melt my wax as well as add dye, FO all in the presto pot. Should I not be doing that? I was under the assumption that is what you were supposed to do.

That is what I did, the one time I tried so far lol. I'd like to know too.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with doing it all in the Presto. Probably the easiest way to not have to worry about temps. I just don't want to clean mine out! I also sometimes make small batches, so it's easier to just measure out the wax I need already melted. Then I don't have to wait for more wax to melt between batches.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with doing it all in the Presto. Probably the easiest way to not have to worry about temps. I just don't want to clean mine out! I also sometimes make small batches, so it's easier to just measure out the wax I need already melted. Then I don't have to wait for more wax to melt between batches.

Yeah I guess that would be faster. I usually have to wait until I do my re-pour before I make more candles. I just leave enough in the presto and let it cool and then re-melt to re-pour.:undecided

When I use my presto, I keep my double-boiler going and heat my pourpots up there before putting wax in them and I put the pourpots back in the double-boiler if the wax is cooling too fast. I don't put dye or FO in the presto because I pour smaller batches and it's easier to clean a pour pot instead of the presto :)

Okay...this might be a silly observation. You said you are using a pyrex cup for a pour pot. The few times I have used a pyrex cup, the wax seems to cool faster than when I use the metal pour pots. And even with that, different pour pots have different cool rates. In these that I got from BC (that are kind of the "brushed" looking metal...the wax cools faster.

apourpot4f.jpg

In the "polished" pour pots, the same amount of wax (same scent same color, etc.) will cool a lot slower.

pourpotf.JPG

I am sure there is some scientific reason for this...the fact that certain elements conduct heat more than others...some conduct some insulate?? I think I vaguely remember atoms being involved?? :tongue2: (Can you tell I excelled in English, Drama, Music and Art and not so much in Science? :D ) Anyway, using a different pour pot may help you as well. The only time I have to worry about pots cooling too fast s is when I get behind and have too many cooling at once. Then I just hit them with my heat gun around the outside and they are good to go.