To those that blend soy and paraffin

I am having an awful time with getting a decent scent throw. I posted on the CB 135 thread. At this point I am considering adding paraffin and doing a blend. Does blending soy and paraffin increase scent throw? What paraffin wax do you prefer when mixing with soy? I have read that many use J223. I worked with this wax in the past when I made strickly paraffin candles. I had problems with soot when using it no matter what wick or FO load I used. Maybe mixing soy with it would take care of the soot problem?

I am currently doing some experimenting with this. I just poured testers of JS 50/50, GL 70/30, JS 50/50 mixed with 464, JS 50/50 mixed with Eco Pure, and J50 mixed with Eco Pure. I am curing now and will start testing burning next week after I take the bar exam. I find that pure soy is hard to work with and I'm not patient enough and don't care enough to make it work for me. The paraffin container blends, like J50 - which I used for years, soot no matter what - it was just a matter of underwicking enough to minimize the soot. But the paraffin sure did smell great. My quest now is to start blending and find something that works for me. The GL 70/30 is a nice blend, but shipping adds considerably to the cost of my candles. If they can get that hundred weight pricing down, I would consider it more - right now hundred weight doesn't save me any money. I am just starting with JS 50/50, and the tests I've done so far have gone well. It wicks more like a paraffin and scents like one too. But I'm also working with J50 and Eco Pure because they aren't supplier blends and I can get them at Candlescience. I can ship 200 lbs from CS for $30. That's some savings and that is what is encouraging me to try and make a blend with waxes I can get there. Anyway, long story short, I am just starting on this new adventure, but I'll keep you posted. If you want to know how my testers turned out, cold throw and visually, let me know :)

Hi there..If you are using straight soy you will get better throw from a blend. Oils need heat to throw well, soy burns cool so you don't get as a good throw. Mixing para with it will deff increase your throw. Also your soot might be from your oils, you could be adding to much I know you said you tried different loads but you would be surprised by backing off the correct amount your J223 candles won't soot at all...I do a blend but used to use straight J223...hth :grin2:

I am having an awful time with getting a decent scent throw. I posted on the CB 135 thread. At this point I am considering adding paraffin and doing a blend. Does blending soy and paraffin increase scent throw? What paraffin wax do you prefer when mixing with soy? I have read that many use J223. I worked with this wax in the past when I made strickly paraffin candles. I had problems with soot when using it no matter what wick or FO load I used. Maybe mixing soy with it would take care of the soot problem?

Hi KMommy.. I am currently mixing J223 and Golden Brands 415.. I LOVE it!! I get minimal to no soot on 10 and 16 ounce Apothecary jars. On my 26 ounce jars it seems almost an impossible quest to have "perfectly clean" jars, but when trimmed or wicked properly, they have a tiny bit of soot on jars when burned to the bottom. My scent throw is awesome. Both cold and hot. I don't think you would be disappointed with this blend. It took me a long time and a lot of money to finally make the switch.. but now I am glad I did.

Christy- I am glad to hear that about the J223 alone. I was thinking about pouring it straight to see the difference! I was worried about it sooting too much..

I've been experimenting with mixing J223 with the CB 135, only made one so far... I got some J223 from the classy's here when I was really frustrated w/ the 135. Not a bad result at all, I lit the one up for the first time tonight while chopping onions in the kitchen, scented Choc. Chip Cookie Dough from JS. Seems to be throwing really well, looks pretty good, too. I poured @ 150*, but I think I'll pour cooler next time.

HTH,

A great blend that I was testing was FarmHouse soy with Comfort Blend. Awesome throw at 70/30. I'm going to order 10 lbs. of GB415 and do the same percentage with the CB and see if I still get that awesome throw. What I use all the time is a soyblend mixed with a parasoy at 70/30. I had been doing 80/20 but I wanted to see if I could get a little more paraffin in there for throw and not soot. I've been testing a lot of new fragrances and I use 8%...throw is excellent and no soot. Love the creamy look...takes me back 6 years to my J50 days. I've been burning one of my containers outside by our pool and my daughter came over yesterday and said she could smell it as soon as she walked out the door into the backyard.

Maggie

I read on a suppliers website that they recommended CB135 to have the best cold and hot throw of all their soy waxes. So i tried it & was highly disappointed. :embarasse I was ready to give up on soy altogether because i tried many others with disappointment. Don't give up, try a small sample of GB 464. It throws way better than CB135 and is easier to wick than the 415 due to its lower meltpoint, imo.

Thanks for the help everyone! What is the largest percentage of soy that I could use in a blend and still have good scent throw? I see most of the blends that are sold are usually 50/50 or 70/30. So would it be 30 % soy? I am willing to experiment with the J223 again if I have to. I have to find some use for this CB 135 wax. For soy/paraffin blends what type of wick do you guys prefer? I have a ton of CD, CDN, and HTP wicks.

SouthernGal,

There is one supplier that I order from that carries the wax you suggested. I'll get a sample from them to try the next time I place an order. I have alot of this CB wax on hand so I am trying to find away to make it work. Way too much to throw out!

AngelaVA,

Taking the bar! How wonderful!!! Good luck!

Hi kmommy,

remember me? it's been a long time since I've been here and there's lots of new people around but it's good to see some familiar 'faces'!!!

anyways, after all these years I also have done some tests on blends and they are just so easy compared to the 100% soy like always!

of course being too conscious but a little p will not hurt right?

So based on a lb of wax, I add only 2% or 14oz + 2oz, just very little enough to make it smooth and still creamy. (i that the right percentage?? not sure!!lol!!)

As for sooting, it still soots anyway due to some oils, there really is no such thing as soot free, but of course it will not blacken your walls like pure P!

as for the 135, yeah, I must agree it is very disappointing, that has always been the problem with that wax!!!

hth...

~marie:)

Marie!!!

I was wondering if you were still around the board. I checked the member names not too long ago to see if you were still here! Glad to see you posting!!!

Working with this soy has been a major challenge. I have a lot of this darn CB wax so I have to find a way to make it work. If that means I may have to use paraffin to get a decent throw then that's what I'll do! As long as the soot isn't as bad as the last time I used J223. It was the kind that made my walls black, and the white carpet and the drapes...:undecided Let me make sure I have this right...you are using 14oz of soy and 2oz of paraffin or is it the other way around?

500!!!

Thanks for the help everyone! What is the largest percentage of soy that I could use in a blend and still have good scent throw? I see most of the blends that are sold are usually 50/50 or 70/30. So would it be 30 % soy? I am willing to experiment with the J223 again if I have to. I have to find some use for this CB 135 wax. For soy/paraffin blends what type of wick do you guys prefer? I have a ton of CD, CDN, and HTP wicks.

SouthernGal,

There is one supplier that I order from that carries the wax you suggested. I'll get a sample from them to try the next time I place an order. I have alot of this CB wax on hand so I am trying to find away to make it work. Way too much to throw out!

AngelaVA,

Taking the bar! How wonderful!!! Good luck!

Greenleaf's 70/30 is 70% soy and 30% paraffin. I would try 50% soy and move up from there. 70/30 seems to be a popular mix though.

So when blending soy and paraffin which set of instructions do you follow for temps. to add FO to the wax and pouring? If the soy I use is normally poured at a cool temp. 125 or lower and the paraffin is poured at 145-155, which temp. would I go with if I combine the two? Does combining also change the percentage of FO that can be used?

Angela,

I would be interested in your candle test results whenever you have time to complete them. Once again, good luck on the bar exam!!!

So when blending soy and paraffin which set of instructions do you follow for temps. to add FO to the wax and pouring? If the soy I use is normally poured at a cool temp. 125 or lower and the paraffin is poured at 145-155, which temp. would I go with if I combine the two? Does combining also change the percentage of FO that can be used?

Angela,

I would be interested in your candle test results whenever you have time to complete them. Once again, good luck on the bar exam!!!

I'm no expert, but I kinda average it all out, kwim? When I combined J50 and Eco Pure - I poured around 150 and used 7.5% FO. It turned out great. The top is absolutely level - no dip whatsoever around the wick. I have complete adhesion - it's been over a week with no wetspots. I also have great cold throw and it colored very nicely.

But that's the problem with mixing waxes - you just never know exactly what to do with it or how it will behave. But I would just start by averaging the recommendations and then tweaking from there.

By the way, I leave on Monday morning for the Bar. It's two full days of testing - one day of essay and one day multiple choice. So, keep me in your thoughts and prayers. My brain is already fried from studying and I can't wait to get this over with :D

I mixed the CB 135 with J223 and it made a very nice smooth candle with no wet spots. I will let it cure for a week and then test. So far the appearence is much better than just with CB135. I have never had as many problems as I have with this stuff using any other soy.

• 14 years later...
On 7/18/2006 at 3:57 PM, firegirl said:

Hi KMommy.. I am currently mixing J223 and Golden Brands 415.. I LOVE it!! I get minimal to no soot on 10 and 16 ounce Apothecary jars. On my 26 ounce jars it seems almost an impossible quest to have "perfectly clean" jars, but when trimmed or wicked properly, they have a tiny bit of soot on jars when burned to the bottom. My scent throw is awesome. Both cold and hot. I don't think you would be disappointed with this blend. It took me a long time and a lot of money to finally make the switch.. but now I am glad I did.

Christy- I am glad to hear that about the J223 alone. I was thinking about pouring it straight to see the difference! I was worried about it sooting too much..

What is your ratio for blending?

• 3 weeks later...